When filming goes wrong

TW: Assault

Jade's POV

It has been a little over a week now since I've arrived on Lesbos. Today is the day that I am finally allowed to film at the refugee camp. I've heard many stories about it and can't wait to see it with my own eyes and document the reality.

I packed my things and left the hotel to meet with a guide that is taking me to the camp today. After about a 30 minute drive to the edge of the island, we arrived at Camp Moira. I can already tell that these people do not live under good conditions. It honestly looked like we arrived at a junkyard with some tents gathered around. There was trash littered everywhere and some of the tents even had rips in them.

Luckily, the winters aren't harsh on Lesbos so they would not suffer as much from the cold. That does not excuse the fact that this is an unacceptable place for people to be gathered around as they await asylum. I grab my camera equipment and start filming the entrance and around some of the tents, making sure to capture all the details. I have given my guide a microphone so he can explain more about the camp for a voice-over.

He tells me how there have been efforts from NGOs to close the camp for its inhumane state and living conditions. However, without this camp, the refugees would not have a place at all. As he explains I look around and notice a larger family near one of the tents. I ask the guide to take me to them and ask them if I can see inside their tent and ask them some questions. He agrees and together we make our way over to them.

The family was very kind and open to an interview. The mother looked very skinny, likely due to malnutrition. I set up a microphone and ask them to share their story. The father starts to tell me that they arrived at the camp two weeks ago after fleeing from Syria. The journey was difficult for them and one of their children was very ill. the people at the camp hardly paid attention to it, but luckily one of the medical staff from an NGO was able to help them. If not, they would have lost their child.

He then goes on to explain the living conditions within the camp. The camp is way overcrowded as there are currently more than 10.000 refugees in a camp that was made for 3000. The workers mean well, but they do not have the resources to make it a habitable space. However, the current conditions are already better since they are being treated with kindness.

I ask him about their tent and if they stay here with the entire family. He explains that all six of them have to sleep in one small tent that is clearly only made for warm weather conditions. He gets up and offers to show me the tent. I gladly take the opportunity and get up with the camera. He opens the zipper further, showing me his four children. They all seem very tired and malnourished, which breaks my heart. I do not have kids myself, but it hurts me to see them in this condition. I start imagining Rose being in this situation and have to stop tears from seeping out of my eyes.

You can see that the tents already barely fits the four children, let alone adding two adults into the mix. They have been given some sleeping bags and mats by the NGO workers to make it a bit more comfortable. When we sit down I ask the parents if they stand by their decision, even if it means living as a refugee. The woman nods and becomes a bit emotional. "I would do anything to provide our kids with a future that knows no war and destruction, even if it means living in a tent with the six of us. Of course, we miss Syria as our home country, but we have to choose safety for our family." She explains as the guide translates.

I nod at her answer and thank them for sharing their story. I then film some more shots around the camp before it was time to leave. Some people seemed uncomfortable with me filming the camp, so I decided to work with what I have, which was still a lot. The guide drops me off in the city centre as I wanted to take another walk along the shore.

As I make my way down, I hear a lot of commotion. In the distance, I see another boat arriving so I quickly make my way over. There is a group of protesting men who are seemingly unhappy with the arriving refugees. I stand back a little as I did not want to shove my camera in people's faces. As the boat tries to get to shore, the group of men make an effort to push it back. I capture the entire encounter and know this would be a powerful moment in the documentary. My short moment of positivity quickly halts as one of the men spots me with my camera and starts talking to the others.

Some of the men move away from the boat and head towards me. I quickly stop recording and try to put my camera back into my bag. I was too late though, as one of the men grabs the camera from my hands and throws it into the water. I'm standing there in shock before the men start throwing punches at me. One punch to my gut makes me fall to my knees, which gives them the signal to start kicking me to the ground. I cannot even think right now as I just feel pain. My whole body and face start to feel numb as the blows keep coming at me. I just lay there and start accepting my fate at this point, completely forgetting about all the lost footage for the documentary.

I start to fall in and out of consciousness as I hear people screaming and arguing with the men. The group of men quickly leaves as the others start helping me, trying to get me to stay awake. It is very difficult to focus on anything when you feel nothing but pain. It feels like forever before I hear sirens coming. It seems that many people have gathered around me, which is a little embarrassing. Once the sirens have reached me I know I can finally relax, so I close my eyes and drift off into the darkness.