5

"I think I'm scared of all the signs. Don't ever leave me alone at night." ~ Scaredy Cat [DPR IAN]

Rosie sighs softly as she sits back down at her desk, the reports staring back at her. The kids were outside at recess, and she could faintly hear their innocent giggles and screams.

"Hey there, stranger," Toby says as he pokes his head in. "Got a minute?"

"Sure," Rosie smiles, gasping as he hands her a hot tea. "For me?"

"For you," he smiles shyly, digging his hands into his pockets. "I heard you were sick."

"Oh, right," Rosie coughs awkwardly.

"I'm glad you feel better now," Toby says sincerely, leaning against her desk. An amused smile falls on his lips once he sees her paperwork. "You still working on the reports?"

"Yeah," Rosie sighs, leaning her cheek against her fist. "I know, I'm a horrible teacher leaving the kids' reports until the day before the meeting."

"Aw, come on, don't say that," Toby laughs. "You're a great teacher. Even if you left your paperwork last minute."

"Toby," Rosie groans.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding," he smiles. He opens his mouth to say something else, but the bell rings, indicating the kids were done with recess. "I'll catch you later, yeah?"

Rosie nods, bidding him farewell and standing up with a smile as her kids run in to hug her legs and tell her all about their fun time outside.

***

"I'm going home, Jungkook," Jimin says through the intercom. "Call me if you need anything, yeah?"

"Bye, Jiminie," Jungkook mutters, rubbing his temples as he shuts his eyes.

"Don't overwork yourself, okay?" Jimin says sternly. "I'm saying this as your friend, not your assistant."

"Yeah, yeah," Jungkook says, cracking a smile. "I'll see you."

"See ya!" Jimin beams happily, and then there was a beep from the intercom, indicating that he had really left.

Jungkook lets out another long sigh and pulls his phone from his pocket, going to check his messages and emails.

One message stood out from the others.

It was from someone anonymous, and Jungkook hummed boredly, clicking on it with full expectations for it to be a scam.

Except, it wasn't.

It was worse than that.

Choose your steps carefully, Jeon.

Jungkook's breath stops.

And then he reads it again. And again. And again.

"What the fuck?" he shouts, standing up and throwing his phone on his desk.

It was a sick prank, right? It could be one of his employees joking with him. Or maybe it was Taehyung?

Whoever it was, Jungkook didn't care. Because all he could think about was Rosie.

Jungkook packs up his things quickly and runs down to his car, his mind going a hundred miles per minute.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," he says anxiously as he flies down the road, his hand holding the phone to his ear.

"Jungkookie?" Rosie yawns tiredly once she picks up the call.

"Baby? Where are you?" Jungkook asks quickly.

"I'm in bed, wh-"

"Are the doors locked?"

"Jungkook, you're scaring me," Rosie says, her voice growing worried. "You know I always keep up with the security."

Jungkook swerves into the other lane, pressing his foot harder on the gas. "You're right, baby. I'm sorry."

"Is everything okay?" she asks, and he hears the crinkling of sheets, meaning she was probably sitting up.

Jungkook pauses. "Everything's fine, babe. I'm gonna be home soon. Just wanted to call and let you know."

Rosie hums, letting out another tired yawn. "I'll be waiting."

Jungkook's heart broke with guilt once the phone call ended, but he couldn't tell her. He would just deal with it privately and bury it under the ground. The last thing he wanted was to make her scared.

Jungkook dials another number, turning onto his street. "Namjoon. I'll be forwarding you a message. This stays between us. Only us."

"You alright, Kook?"

Jungkook pauses again. "Just look at it and get back to me."