𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖.𝟐𝟒

Yeonjun startled

Yeonjun startled.

He had had a terrible nightmare and his heart was racing. It galloped in his chest like a wild-eyed horse.

His eyes were wide open, staring at the ceiling. His fingers clawed at the sheet. His breathing was heavy, even gasping, and he lay on his back like a board. The sun was shining through the slits in the shutters, so the room had a mixture of bright, reddish darkness.

Instinctively, Yeonjun let his right hand wander further, looking for Beomgyu, who had fallen asleep beside him.

But the side of the bed was empty.

Jerkily, Yeonjun sat up and looked at the abandoned spot in the bed where his boyfriend was supposed to be lying and sleeping. "Beomgyu?" he called into the room, hoping he was just in the bathroom using the toilet.

But he got no answer from him.

So he swung himself up, got out of bed and rubbed his bare chest. He scratched the skin with his short fingernails. Over and over again, while his long legs stumbled to the door that led to the bathroom. But the small room was empty, the light not even turned on.

"Beomgyu!"

Now his voice had grown louder and the wealthy Choi left his room, walking down the hallway until he reached the living room.

The entire house seemed to be deserted.

His fingers clawed at the back of the couch, sweat running down his shoulders, his forehead. The fine hairs stuck to it as panic took over in him. "Fuck!" he groaned under his breath.

Had Beomgyu run away?

Had he actually left him?

Enchanted him yesterday with these sweet words, only to let him fall?

Once again he let himself run through yesterday's evening in his mind's eye. They had kissed, decided to go to sleep and snuggled close to each other after getting rid of their everyday clothes. Nothing had indicated that Beomgyu wanted to leave him. Immediately, Yeonjun ran back into the room, searching through his jeans, which he had worn and carelessly thrown on the floor, for his smartphone to call him.

But after the first second, it rang in his room.

Startled, Yeonjun looked at the nightstand.

Had Beomgyu been in such a hurry to leave him that he had even left his cell phone lying around?

Frustrated, he threw his own onto the bed, sank to his knees in front of it, and let both hands disappear into his black hair. "Beomgyu!" he gasped heavily, pressing his face into the mattress. "Please, come back!" he pressed against the bedspread, crying. It was a heartbreaking cry, bitter and silent. As if he had lost everything he needed. As if the meaning to live had left him again. His head went crazy when Beomgyu was gone.