July 8th

Shotaro walked into the kitchen, getting ready for his morning shift. Sungchan was already there, and two plates of toast and eggs on the island.

"Thanks, Sungchannie." Shotaro sat down at the island, pulling one of the plates in front of him and picking up the fork.

"Oh, right." Sungchan turned around, taking a seat beside his husband. "Term 1 marks are due in three days, so I'm going to be staying late to get in all the students."

"Alright," Shotaro replied, solemn.

Sungchan frowned. He knew that Shotaro wasn't doing the best mentally ever since he had found out about the miscarriage, but he usually wasn't so serious in the mornings. "What's up, Taro?"

"I..." Shotaro still hadn't told Sungchan about taking care of Kaelin, so over breakfast eggs was a better time than never. "A... a few days ago, Mark needed my help with Kaelin. It was... I want that. I want to have someone that I can take care of. I want someone that I can raise to be a good person."

"You still can," Sungchan tried, one hand running up and down the older's back soothingly. "It's only happened once. We don't even have to have kids for a few years. Ten and Yangyang don't even have kids, and most of our friend's children are still toddlers. We have time."

"That's the other thing." Shotaro shoves some eggs into his mouth, buying him time to think. He obviously knew that he had time to have kids. They were only in their late 20s, after all (even Jungwoo and Jaehyun had been quick). But... he didn't feel like he was running out of time. He just... "I don't trust that it won't happen again. We both know that it's more likely for men to have miscarriages."

"Of course, that's just nature," Sungchan retorts, "but that doesn't mean you shouldn't trust yourself. I trust you. We trust each other. We can succeed."

Shotaro merely sighs and bites into his toast.

~~~~~

When Sungchan got home, Shotaro was attempting to sleep. Obviously, he was failing, but he knew it was because his mind was just too busy.

He and Sungchan loved talking about kids. They both agreed that they wanted kids, but didn't know how many. They had trusted each other enough to be intimate together. It had worked.

But, of course, Shotaro had ended up letting Sungchan down. Maybe the younger still trusted him, but there was no way it was the same amount it had once been.