conflict with self

Start from the beginning

"it might take a while so it would be more comfortable if you take a seat." Fury suggests.

I sit at the table and try to relax but fail miserably because cap sits next to me.I just stare at the table trying to ignore the fact that Steve Rogers himself is sitting right next to me. He doesn't say anything at first and an awkward silence fills the room until he tries to start a conversation.

"so how long you've been in this job?"

I finally stop staring at table and look at his direction and raise my courage to talk,

"....n-not very l-long."

He nods and I look away again instantly.

"you look very nervous kid, you alright?"

I swallow hard and try to make eye contact with him,

"f-first day at w-work."

He raises his eyebrows at me not sure if with surprised or suspicious.

'couldn't be more obvious, could you, you useless piece of shit.'

Fury signs listening to our 'conversation'.

"I understand. My first day in military wasn't that good of a memory either. It'll get better with time, trust me."

I smile genuinely at his try of making me feel better. That is so him.

"thank you, captain."

"you can just call me Steve."

"c-can I call y-you cap? If you d-don't mind, you're like o-older than me so....just out of respect. feels a little off."

"sure kid." He says smiling. Most of my worries washes away watching that smile. He is far by the nicest person in this room. I return the smile and look away with a shy look. Maybe I should try to talk too.

"i-I'm a big fan by the way. S-since childhood."

"yeah kids usually like me."

'not only kids.'

"so how did you get in here? I don't think it's a place people your age should spend their time in."

"it was.....unexpected. even for me."

"it was Fury I assume."

"....yeah, yeah."

Rest of the time was spent with captain trying to make me talk more and it was working since I was getting more comfortable with talking with him. even my stuttering stopped a little. Everything was so perfect I was feeling like I was in a dream again.

Few hours later

agent Coulson comes by our side in a hurry to give us some important information.

"we found Loki. Him and our agents were in an underground laboratory."

I lean in surprised, and cap gets ready instantly,

"where is he now?" he asks.

"we found them through facial recognition and sent our team to capture them we only found the scientists. Dr. Selvig and his team."

"and the others?" Fury asks.

"already left."

"where did they go?" cap asks.

"we're still trying to figure it out. They're still under Loki's influence, and are not willing to talk. And the others didn't leave a trace behind. our team's on their way back with them."

"let's hope you can make them talk." Cap tells him.

'shit. They weren't supposed to get caught. I changed the plot. Shit shit shit shit shit.'

My heart beat goes faster and I start overthinking again over the endless possibilities that could happen from here. What if it leads to something bad that I can't help changing. My paranoid expressions doesn't go unnoticed by others. Before captain could ask anything Fury beats him to that,

"Solanki, a word." He starts walking away and looks back at me waiting for me to follow, I look at him for few seconds before I sit up and follow on his tracks. After we reach out of everyone's earshot Fury asks me,

"what's with that expression?"

I swallow before speaking hesitantly and answer,

"they weren't supposed to get caught."

He narrows his eyes in confusion.

"care to elaborate?"

"I....i may have changed some things."

"should I be concerned?"

"well, it depends. It may have changed some things for good in future in short term but...but you don't get it how it may or may not affect future in long term. Even a little change in course of action can lead to catastrophe. Or it can be for good, but here's the thing, I can never know which one is it."

"but you do know what can that demi god lead to if we don't catch him, do you not? Whatever it is, we'll stay prepared this time. But we can't do that if you don't help us."

"I can't lift the burden of people's misery on my shoulder."

"answer yourself, were there any sacrifices in order to stop one possible outcome in the future you know? If you can't lift the burden on your shoulder, tell me, can you live with the red on your hands?"

I just stare at him with loss of words. My mind couldn't think of a reply, I guess he understood my situation.

"it all starts with you. the course of future depends on whether you can fight for something bigger than you."

He puts his hand on my shoulder,

"think about it." He leaves me alone with my own thoughts and I just stare at the floor not knowing what to do. He was starting to make sense. One way or another I will have to deal with something on me.I never had a problem this big solve before. And on my own. I can't even tell anyone.

'someone please help.'

"you doing okay?" I look up at from the voice came. It was cap looking at me worriedly.

"I would say yes but everyone here are good at catching people lying."

"did he say something?"

"well he said a lot but it wasn't against me in a way."

"is it something I can help with?"

"no. I don't think it is. Well, It's just....I suddenly have a big responsibility on me and....everytime I had a problem I had someone to guide me through and friends to take advise from. And now all of a sudden I'm all alone with no on to help with a decision I have to take. I'm lost"

"you're not alone, kid. Just so you know, you could always ask me for help."

"thank you, but I can't really tell you what it is."

He nods lightly at that.

"well but....were you ever stuck in a situation when you had to make a choice? Both choices might lead to something bad with you responsible for it, it's just a question of which bad are you willing to live with?"

"if I'm responsible in every outcome I'll chose the path which will at least keep others under the shield. Because it's the right thing to do"

"what if the soldier is too coward to take any path at all."

"he'll have to take one someday, can't stay coward forever. And once you take that path you'll learn to let go of that fear."

I slowly take in his words. He's really good with this, isn't he. I nod at him and he takes me back at the bridge and we sit back as I keep thinking of which decision should I make. Few minutes later it gets complete dark outside and agent Coulson comes to our side and asks cap to sign his trading cards when one agent speaks up.

"we got a hit, sixty seven percent match. Wait, cross match, seventy nine percent."

"location?"

"stuggart, germany. 28, konigstrasse. He's not exactly hiding."

"captain you're up."

Cap nods and leaves the room and I turn to Fury,

"can I go with them?"