C h a p t e r 66

Chapter 66 : Caleb Wednesday, August 25th, 2021

Chapter 66 : Caleb
Wednesday, August 25th, 2021

"She's good?" I ask Alec as he walks into my office at Rush, Xavier already laying back on the long dark couch across from me.

He's been the one watching her most out of the three of us, and I know he was doing it through other people—the twins in specific.

Relief flowed through me at his satisfied nod, but I knew he was still here to talk about everything else that's currently going wrong.

Like Xavier warned, I received my assignment this morning surrounding Marcus's kidnapping, and based on the tension across Alec's forehead, I knew he had too.

"What are your orders?" I question as I stand from my desk, taking a seat beside Xavier since I knew I wouldn't be able to work while having this discussion. Mine was simple, but this entire situation made me too uneasy to focus nonetheless.

Madelyn is going to be caught in the middle no matter what angle we come at this at, and that knowledge terrifies me more than I think I'm capable of admitting.

"While you're working on fixing all of the camera footage, Xavier and I are going to move in with two separate teams as back up. With Xavier's focus on grabbing Marcus, Vincent suspects the wife will be disoriented and attempt to leave in a panic. My job is to knock her out and bring her back to the Base for information if things go wrong with retrieving the main target."

Marcus.

The same man our girl adores.

I couldn't help it as my eyes drifted over to Xavier whose fists were once again curled into tight balls, reminding me of the way he looked two days ago by that elevator.

Vincent was a cruel, cold man, and even though I know Madelyn is under close surveillance in Detroit, I still feel sick at how similar that unconscious girl on the floor looked to her.

At first, I thought Xavier was crying because Madelyn was dead, and it was a moment that left us all shaken up despite the truth that she was safe.

"So what are we going to do then?" I ask the question that's been going through our minds since we realized our relationship was so much bigger than just sex.

This was all such a disaster, and as much as I hated Madelyn being gone, it was almost necessary for us to work through all of this shit.

Alec ran his fingers through his hair—a nervous tendency of his—looking down at his lap in defeat. It was an expression I mirrored, unfortunately having very little say in any of this.

My rights as an associate limited a lot of options for me, and even though Alec was in one of the highest ranking positions in the mafia, all three of us knew it was Xavier who held the power.

He was the one who had the orders of an engagement. He was the one risking the chance of taking on the title of the Don. He was the one who could make or break everything, and I saw that it was eating away at every part of him.