C h a p t e r 37

Chapter 37 : AlecThursday, August 5th, 2021

Chapter 37 : Alec
Thursday, August 5th, 2021

I know something bad is going on, but I don't know what.

Marcus is going to strike and soon, but I know that's not the worst that's going to happen.

Whether or not any of us want to admit it, our "break" is not going to last for too much longer, and I don't know what that means for our girl.

Keeping her in the dark about what she likes to call our side business may only bring more harm, but it's very likely we're going to lose her when she knows the truth.

But I can't lose Madelyn.

I can't explain what I feel for her, but it's real and powerful and it honestly scares the shit out of me.

That's why, despite my every instinct not to, I'm walking up to the doors where my family lives.

"Alec!" My little sister Nina answers the door and practically throws herself out at the sight of me.

"Hey you." I smile, crouching down so I can wrap my arms around her. "Look at you, you've gotten so big." I say, and she pulls back excitedly before reminding me she's five by holding up all the fingers on her one hand.

I never come here unless I have to or it's to see her, but I really do miss Nina everyday.

"Mi amour, we've spoken about this." My mom's voice comes from the kitchen along with the sound of her footsteps moving towards us. "No answering the door without an adult— Alec." She finishes in surprise at the sight of me.

Shifting Nina so she can cling to my leg, I stand up straight but stay where I am.

"Mamma." I greet, my eyes glancing around to see if anyone else is here. There isn't.

"My dear boy, where have you been?" My mother walks up to me and plants a kiss on both of my cheeks before pulling away.

"Is papa here?" I ask instead, and I can tell my mother took the hint that I didn't want to be here for any longer than I had to.

Not after what they tried to pull.

"He's in his study." She says, gesturing for Nina to go to her.

My sister looks up at me, and I give her a nod that I'll see her later.

I briefly say goodbye, but my mind is too focused on speaking to my father. Or more so the information he can provide me with.

This house is just about as cold and echoey as I remember it to be, but I try to shake off the chill running down my spine as I approach the door to my father's office and land two quick knocks.

"Enter." His firm voice called from inside, and I wasn't surprised to open the door to see him with his glasses on his face and multiple sheets of papers before him on the desk. "Son?" The slight change in his voice was the only proof of his surprise.