C h a p t e r 1

Chapter 1 : MadelynMonday, July 12th, 2021

Chapter 1 : Madelyn
Monday, July 12th, 2021

Monday mornings fucking suck.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had a good Monday.

It's currently 10:00 am and I'm already having to fight the urge to throw myself off of a bridge.

Okay, yeah. Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I swear to god the world is against me today.

Don't get me wrong, I love my boyfriend to death, but sometimes I wonder how it's even possible that he got into University.

This morning, the dumb ass thought it was okay to turn off my 8:00 am alarm, just to replace it with his own. It, of course, was set for an hour later than what I needed. Like honestly, what the hell was going through his head? Let's be realistic. My guess would be nothing at all.

The whole point of his alarm was to make him get up and go to the gym, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I came home later to find him on the couch in the same spot I left him in.

It's fair to say that things have been a little rough between us recently. Once again, I have to force myself to remember that if I wait just a little longer, things will get better. Our relationship was never one of those all-consuming romances you see in movies, but Noah was nice and that's enough for me. He never left, even when everyone else did.

Despite these feelings however, his idiocy this morning led to me missing a meeting with a client. On top of that, my lack of coordination caused me to trip over essentially nothing, ripping my stockings in the process. I just wanted a coffee. Is that really too much to ask?

Walking towards my sole source of happiness at the moment, I grab the door handle leading into The Horizon, a small cafe near my house. I discovered it within a few days of moving to New York and have visited it on a daily basis ever since.

Opening the door, I am greeted by the wonderful smell of freshly baked goods and coffee grinds, filling the modern interior.

"Madelyn, is that you?" A familiar voice calls out from the supply closet in the back.

The owner, Jolene, has to be the most kindhearted woman I know, but probably the scariest as well. I can only be thankful I'm on her good side, because despite her old age, I wouldn't put it past her to be able to make even the toughest men run away crying.

"Hey, Mrs. Sawyer." I respond, making my way over to the sound of her voice. Peaking around the corner, I see her petite figure standing with her arms crossed and facing my direction.

"What did I tell you dear?" She says with slight warning in her tone.

"Hey, Jolene." I quickly corrected, catching onto what she meant. For some unknown reason she was very adamant on me calling her by her first name. I'm not quite sure why, but either way my comment caused a bright smile to spread across her face. She hopped down from the foot stool she was standing on with a fresh bag of coffee beans clutched in her arms.