C h a p t e r 7

Chapter 7 : CalebFriday, July 16th, 2021

Chapter 7 : Caleb
Friday, July 16th, 2021

She's even better in person, and that scares me.

I stopped feeling things for people romantically years ago, but the second Madelyn walked through that door, something felt a little different. Like a small fire inside of me had been relit after years of being snuffed out.

Don't get me wrong, I most certainly did not become celibate after joining the mafia, but I haven't been in an actual relationship since I was sixteen. It has been thirteen years since my heart has felt anything in that way, but Madelyn Adams was a surprise I never saw coming.

Sure, there was the shock of her walking into the same cafe as me, and surprise at the fact Jolene allowed her to call her by her first name. There was also surprise in myself at how angry I was when I saw that she was upset.

She tried to hide it, but I could definitely tell.

At first, I was angry with myself, assuming that the others and I were the cause of her held back tears, when in reality it was her piece of shit boyfriend who cheated on her.

If I thought I was mad before, then that would make me furious now.

Of course, I didn't show that. Instead, I used Madelyn as a distraction to prevent myself from my own lethal thoughts. Thankfully, it worked.

She sure was fun to tease.

I could practically see how fast her heart was beating and I didn't miss the shivers that passed through her body at the sound of my voice. She was so responsive to me, and I had barely even done anything.

I should have left when I first saw her, because now I can't stop wondering about what it would be like if she were mine.

Funny how last night I'd been preparing myself for her death and now I'm fighting the urge to leave now and track down who Jolene calls Vanilla. All in good time I suppose.

Thinking back to only minutes ago, I can't help but feel a little regret for touching her. It was a mistake— adding fuel to the fire within me when I know it will never be able to fully light.

The mafia is responsible for that.

She would be perfect for me—for us—, but I can't let myself think that way. Even after seeing her today, there's still the issue of what we're going to do about her.

Honestly, I'm surprised Xavier's dad hasn't called by now and given the order to kill her. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it happens, but I don't want to think about that yet.

Instead, I watched as Madelyn left the cafe, her hips swaying slightly with each step. She's so incredibly beautiful, and my guess is that she doesn't even know it.

The front door closes behind her, leaving Jolene, Pablo, and I on our own.

"No." Jolene sterns the second Madelyn is gone.