26. Dinner and Details

[Shoto's POV]

Shoto stared down at the food in front of him. Fuyumi had 'offered' him dinner after her declaration and the murder of their father, and Shoto had been in such a state of shock he just agreed, choosing to not upset the homicidal maniac. The dinner was actually fabulous, a large meal of roasted beef, potatoes, rice, and many other random sides. The only two eating, however, were Shoto and Fuyumi...his sister. Shoto hadn't initiated any conversations, still trying to wrap his mind around everything.

Fuyumi took a sip of her wine, smiling at Shoto. "I never thought this would happen. I thought if I ever got to eat at this table, it'd be alone. It's nice you came back, Shoto. You're good company."

Shoto kept his face as blank as he could, though he figured it wasn't nearly expressionless. "Is that why I'm not dead yet? You want someone to talk to?"

She sighed, probably displeasured in the fact that Shoto brought up death at the dinner table. "I caused you pain already, Shoto. I've decided to be nice and show you kindness, something Father never did. If you're not pleased with that, I could kill you. I wouldn't gain anything, though. That is why you are still breathing. Killing you gets me nowhere."

"Then...can I leave? If I'm just out in the world, I won't bother you. Then we can both have what we want." As much as Shoto tried, he couldn't stop his mind from turning back to the rebels. Back to Bakugo, Kaminari, Mina, Jiro...Eri. He promised Eri he wouldn't leave. He told her they'd stick together. Yet here he was.

He was as bad as Touya.

Shaking her head, Fuyumi responded, "I still don't fully trust you. If you're here, you're under my watch. If you're out there, you could build an army for all I know. Although, I know you want nothing to do with this place. You were so desperate to escape, you didn't even question who was helping you." Fuyumi laughed, taking another small sip of wine. "If you knew everything about me, you'd be too scared to leave. Here, I will protect you. Out there, I make no promises that you won't become a target. You should eat a bit more, it's really good."

---

[Keigo's POV]

Keigo didn't want to deal with this drama right now. When he heard Momo Yaoyorozu had come back after spying on the notorious Overhaul, he assumed that meant she had gathered information to stop him. Instead, she revealed that some rebels came and broke out the little girl and now they couldn't find her nor Overhaul. To top it all off, he was listening to Momo and Tokoyami argue about the best way to find her.

"Okay, okay! Knock it off, please. I'm getting a migraine." Keigo turned to Momo, his eyes scanning her face. "Yaomomo, do you remember what any of the rebels looked like?"

She scoffed, "Yes, of course. One had spiky red hair and the other..." She trailed off, her head turning to the side and her eyes widening.

"Yaoyorozu? The other?" Tokoyami prompted.

Her eyes snapped back up to Keigo's. "The other was the prince."

"What?" Tokoyami called in disbelief. "You mean to tell me you forgot that the prince was there? This didn't make it into the report you gave me because...?"

Momo took a step back, her eyebrows knitting together. "I don't know how I forgot. Overhaul sent me to talk to him, we took him back to our base, put him in the room with Eri, then the rebels attacked. They must've taken the prince back to their base!"

"The prince is actually here right now," Keigo cut in, watching Momo's face shift into shock. "I found him wandering around the marketplace."

"So the rebels probably didn't have him," Tokoyami concluded. He gazed at Momo, "You're acting unlike yourself, Yaomomo. Your thoughts are scattered. Did anything happen when you were with Overhaul?"

Yaoyorozu gripped her head tightly, "I-I don't recall. It's funny, I can't remember much about when I was there. I remember his face, Eri, the rebels, but...I can't remember how any of them acted. Or how I acted. It's like my mind was all stuffy."

"Did you eat or drink anything other there?" Tokoyami asked.

"Just water."

Turning to Keigo, Tokoyami touched his chin thoughtfully. "Do you think Overhaul messed with the water? To keep his associates quiet, confused, and compliant?"

"It's very likely; Momo, you should go visit the medic. Try to rest a bit as well. We can continue this conversation another time." Keigo ushered her towards the castle.

Tokoyami sighed, "This was a lost cause. I apologize, General."

Keigo smiled, "No, you're fine, Captain. Go get some dinner, alright? I'll take over tonight's watch."

Tokoyami saluted before heading off towards the castle. Looking at the horizon, Keigo watched the sun fall behind the trees, basking the landscape in beautiful shades or red, pink, and orange.

It was nighttime, finally. The plan was falling into place.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Hello wattpaders! Apologies for not updating in...forever. I found this chapter that I had written but never posted so I don't quite know what happened here sorry if it sucks.

School has been a lot but I'm getting less work now since we're nearing the end of the semester, so I may come back to this story and wrap it up so that no one is left in suspense...that said I hope it's as good as it can be but if it's not I apologize.

This is also one of the longest things I've written so I feel the urge to complete it I guess.

HAVE A GREAT DAY/NIGHT/24 HOURS!

thank you for sticking with me and reading <3

(also enjoy toastoroki)