13. Taken and Talking

"Are you still alright, Todoroki?" A quiet voice that belonged to Hagekure spoke from next to him.

Shoto responded, pulling his cloak closer around himself, "Yes." He walked cautiously through the alleyways near the buildings they were surveying, making sure he made a normal amount of noise so people could hear him. He typically walked very quietly, as he never wanted to disturb his father and face the consequences.

Shoto looked around. This part of the kingdom looked a lot worse than the part he was in the other day. The streets were slightly flooded still, mud and dirt clinging to his boots. Not many people were out, only those who were passing by since there were no market stalls to purchase anything from. Shoto spotted a few taverns, but not nearly as many as other parts of the kingdom. Rust and moss coated practically everything, and a thin layer of dust floated through the air.

Shoto saw a few people glance his way, but not really in the way he assumed Overhaul's men would. He walked on, taking note of different places someone could hide. They had been walking for about half an hour in roughly the same spot, Shoto trying his best to seem lost. Apparently, it worked.

"Hey, you." Shoto turned to see a girl with a black ponytail dressed in a black commoners' dress. She gazed around fearfully. "It's not safe to be out here by yourself, you know."

Shoto looked down, trying to show himself as someone who wanted their identity to remain unknown. It wasn't hard. "You're out here on your own."

The girl fidgeted with her hands. "I live near here, so I know how to handle this place. You seem lost."

Shoto shook his head, "I'm fine. I can take care of myself."

The girl rolled her eyes, seemed to catch herself, and continued in a worried voice. "You're not from around here, are you?"

"What's it matter?"

"There are some dangerous people out here. You wouldn't want to be caught up in all their violence." The girl's voice wavered slightly.

"You seem to know a lot about that." Shoto glanced up, meeting her dark eyes. "Are you involved in violence?"

The girl looked like she was about to respond when another voice cut through. "It's alright, Momo. I'll take it from here."

The girl bowed her head, shooting Shoto a glare. "Of course, Overhaul, sir."

Shoto tensed slightly and turned, observing the newcomer. He didn't look too old, maybe in his twenties or thirties, with light brown hair and gold eyes. The peculiar thing was the plague mask occupying the lower half of his face, giving him a bird like appearance. He wore a sparkling clean green tunic that stood out immensely in the dirty street with black trousers and black boots. He looked down his mask at Shoto, gold eyes looking disinterested. "Who are you?"

Shoto took a step back before remembering Momo was behind him. "No one. Just a traveler on my way out of the kingdom."

Overhaul's expression didn't change, but it was clear he didn't believe him. "Travelers don't come this way."

"Well, they're starting to. If you could just point me towards the exit, I'll be going now. Thank you for your time." Shoto turned but was blocked by Momo, who stood with her arms crossed over her chest.

"No, I don't think you will be." Shoto turned back to glare at the man. "In fact, I think you should accompany us for a bit, your highness."

Shoto blinked in surprise before he felt a tug at his hood and it fell back, revealing his split-colored hair and two-toned eyes. He tensed, staying in character as much as possible. He raised his right hand as if about to attack, but Momo whispered in his ear.