21. Flashbacks and Freedom

[10 years ago]

[Touya's POV]

"Touya! You don't have to do this!" Keigo cried as Touya rushed around his room, picking out clothes and shoving them in a bag. "What about Shoto? Natsuo just died—"

"And that's why I need to fucking leave!" Touya whirled on Keigo, the boy's bright red wings fluttering in anxiety. "My brother was just murdered, K. Do you know how that feels? I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't do anything in this place without hearing his voice, seeing his smile, feeling his nails dig into my arm whenever Father came to get Sho. Shoto is young, he'll get past this. Me, I can't. Especially not here." Touya slung his bag over his shoulder. "Don't follow me."

Keigo grabbed the backpack, causing Touya to pause. He turned back around to see tears flowing steadily from his friend's eyes. "Fine. I won't follow you. I promise, Touya, that I'll look after Sho." A red feather flew in front of Touya's face, and he grabbed it. "Take it. I have plenty of spares." Keigo let go of the pack, wiping at his eyes. "Go. Don't die, Touya. I'll find you one day."

Touya leaned forward giving Keigo a small peck on the cheek, watching with mild amusement as the boy's face heated up. Touya chuckled, "We'll see about that, Birdie."

Touya turned, rushing out of his room and down the halls, carefully avoiding the places he knew the guards patrolled. He made sure to be extra quiet slipping past his youngest brother's, Shoto's, room. He knew he should probably tell his brother he's leaving, that he's sorry he's leaving, that he should probably take him with him...but he couldn't. Seeing Shoto's scared expression and tear-filled eyes would guilt him into staying, and he had to leave.

After a quick stop.

Touya hesitated outside his mother's chambers, unsure if he should actually see her. Eventually, he gathered the courage to knock, barely taking a breath before the doors swung open and a white-haired servant girl about his age greeted him.

"Prince Touya! I was just dropping off your mother's meal, if you'd like, I can bring yours here as well...?" The girl offered, bowing.

Touya shook his head, "No, thank you. I won't be staying long."

The girl flashed him a quick smile before departing and allowing him to enter his mother's room. Rei Todoroki had her haired pulled down her back in a loose braid, a few strands of hair sticking out. She had an array of food set out before her and an open white robe over her light blue nightgown. She took a hesitant sip of tea before putting it carefully back on the saucer with shaking hands. The room was dim, only the fading sunlight from her singular window filtered in.

Mother never liked to use candles.

Touya set his back down by the door, not wanting his mother to know he was leaving yet. "Hello, Mother."

Rei turned around, her soft gray eyes meeting Touya's fiery blue ones. She smiled slightly, "Hi, Touya. What brings you to my chamber of solitude?"

Touya went up to his mother and gave her a light hug, "It's not entirely solitude; that servant girl was in here earlier."

Rei's smile turned slightly sad, "Yes, she visits. Only to bring my food. Sweet girl shouldn't be stuck to a life of servitude."

"That's just how things are sometimes, Mom. You shouldn't be stuck here, either."

Rei's cool hand traced the bandaged skin on her son's arms. "Does it hurt?"

Touya took his arms back, putting them behind him so she couldn't see. "Not really, no. Enough about me; how are you feeling?"

"It's all too devastating. First, what I did to poor little Shoto. Second, N-Natsuo..." Rei trailed off, hugging her arms closely. "I'm a terrible parent. You kids shouldn't have to deal with any of this..."

Touya put a hand on his mother's cheek, "Mom, you're not the bad guy here. You wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for Father. He's the reason Natsuo is...gone. He's the king, after all; people shouldn't be able to get in that easily."

Rei nodded, placing her hand over her son's. "Look after Shoto for me, Touya. He needs someone like you in his life. You're a good brother."

Touya smiled, nodding. "Don't worry, Mom. Shoto's in good hands."

They just aren't mine.

Touya looked at the untouched food in front of his mother. "I'll go so you can eat. Please eat, okay? Shoto needs you as much as he needs me."

Rei looked distastefully at the food. "He isn't permitted to see me."

"If you get better, he will be. And you'll be able to walk around freely again. Wouldn't you like to be free again?"

Rei looked out her window at the setting sun, "I haven't been free in 17 years, Touya. I don't remember what it feels like."

Touya took Rei's hands in his, "I haven't ever been free either, Mom. None of us have. I like to think Natsuo is free now; he'll be able to play all the pranks he wants now without consequence."

"He must be terribly lonely," Rei commented, mindlessly rubbing her thumbs over Touya's knuckles.

"Natsuo never gets lonely; I'm sure he has many friends now." Touya looked out the window, judging that he should probably start going soon.

"You're probably right," Rei gave a small smile. "I'm glad you three have each other still, at the least."

Touya nodded, noticing that Rei's mind was starting to slip again. He kissed her hands, "I have to go now, Mom. Please take care of yourself; for Shoto's sake, yeah?"

Rei clasped her hands in her lap, turning back to the window, "I'll try. I want to see my kids' faces smiling and free. I want to be a reason for your smiles."

Touya looked over his mother again, trying to forge this image into his memory. He'd live, he'd live and free his mother and brother. He'd give his father hell for causing all of this. "You're already a reason for mine, Mom. Have a good night."

"You too, Son."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-996 words-

Sorry this is shorter lmao but I enjoyed writing this scene for some reason

This is the point in time where I wonder if my story makes any sense after this chapter because I'm running out of motivation BUT I WILL COMPLETE THIS IT'S ALMOST DONE DON'T WORRY!!

QOTC: Favorite AU to read? 

I personally like fantasy style ones or the like castle ones like this one (don't know if this counts as fantasy cuz most of the time the fantasy ones have like Kirishima as a dragon and mythical creatures and wizards and stuff)

Or villain AUs. Those are fun.

*wonders how I'll say have a great day*

Zootopia style.

Haaaaave................a...........ggrrreattt...........dayyyyyy.........reeaadeerrrrrssssss........

iykyk