Chapter 36: Inside job

***

---Decepticon warship---

Date: July 22nd, 2186

Smokescreen's eyes slowly open as he hears a voice say "Wakey, wakey" in a teasing manner as his eyes spring fully open to see Knockout.

"W-what?!" He was frightened to see Knockout right up in his face, so he tried moving but realized cuffs bounded him onto a slanted hospital bed.

"If you're looking for your phase shifter?" Knockout expressed as he showed off his wrist, which had the phase shifter strapped on.

"Enough prattling, Knockout!" Megatron shouted across the medical bay as he walked towards them.

"Hand me the final Iacon relic, now" Megatron eyes Smokescreen.

"I can't help ya; that's the only one I was packing," Smokescreen references to the phase shifter.

Soundwave comes up as a picture slowly forms on his visor.

"You got the wrong guy, chief. Optimus Prime's the one who can decode the Iacon database" Smokescreen shrugs off the forming photo as he had no idea what it was... yet.

"Ah, but you misunderstand. We decoded the final entry! and according to our findings," He looks at Soundwaves visor as it forms the mosaic of Smokescreen. "It would appear that I have the right guy," Mocking Smokescreens cheesy reply.

"The question is, what is it that you are still packing?" Knockout says as he uses a handheld x-ray to look through Smokescreens body as he discovers the final Omega key inside Smokescreens chest.

---Autobot base---

Dr. Hayden, VEGA, and Rachet were searching through any radio frequency in hopes of finding Smokescreen, but this doesn't mean they're the only ones doing it. Hence, they called upon the US and NATO with their intelligence agencies to look through frequencies to find the Decepticon warship.

"To trace his signal while on the Decepticon warship is impossible when it has its stealth shielding activated" Samuel Hayden burns the hope of the Autobots to find Smokescreen.

"Continue monitoring all frequencies, Hayden; far more than Smokescreens fate may be at stake." Optimus shuts down Hayden's negativity by basically telling him to shut up and work

"I don't get it. How can Smoke be an Omega key?" Doomguy asks, scoffing at the fact that Smokescreen was a relic.

"Perhaps he isn't the key, but its container," Elita solemnly says.

"The other Iacon relics were sent in pods so why not this one?" Arcee backs up Elita's claim.

"When the Decepticons stormed Iacon, it may have been too late for Alpha Trion to launch the final Omega key into space... at least by standard means" Optimus gives an accurate assumption of what happened between Smokescreens time in the Iacon hall of records and his arrival on earth.

"So Smokescreen assumed that everything went black because he was hit by Decepticons but Alpha Trion's the one who turned out the kid's lights" Doomguy simplifies everything that was said for anyone in the base who didn't understand.

"It stands to reason that my mentor did not want Smokescreen to know what he was carrying, in the event of capture so with a mobile relic, Alpha trion couldn't possibly supply fixed coordinates so he slipped us a clue with the mosaic of Smokescreen" Optimus finally unlocks the reason why Smokescreen's photo was given.