Epilogue- Three Years Later

Holding the newborn in her arms, Adaline leant forward brushing her lips against her forehead. The soft scent wafting up her nose. She'd been so frightened of another premature birth that she'd spent most of her pregnancy safely curled up in bed, Ethan and Bonnielola beside her listening to endless stories or watching endless Disney movies together. She had loved watching the two older children stroke her stomach and talk to their younger sibling. She looked at the clock on the wall. 10am. Dean and Mary would be bringing them both shortly to meet their little sister.

Turning her head towards the bedside table, Adaline smiled sadly at the framed photo of Elliot on their wedding day.
"You'd have loved her," she whispered gulping back tears. It still didn't feel real to her that he was gone. She'd been so angry at him for running back into the cottage, flames engulfing every inch. All in search of their cat who had been hidden under a bush the entire time. All to stop Ethan and Bonnielola crying, to make them both happy. She'd almost lost everything that day. Her home, her family memories and her husband taken in an instance. She hadn't been sure if she could continue her pregnancy, raising three children on her own seemed too daunting a task. Heck, if it hadn't been for Mary and Dean's endless support, she wasn't sure she'd have survived at all. They'd put her and the children up, had picked Adaline up when she couldn't do a thing. Mary sat patiently showering Adaline, brushing her hair and teeth. Feeding her and the children. Everything Adaline couldn't do for herself.

She heard Ethan and Bonnielola before she saw them. Their excited voices bouncing around the hospital as Mary called out to them telling them both to slow down.
"We're in a hospital remember. People might be sleeping,"
Neither listened, racing to Adaline's bedside and climbing over her for a better look at their sister.
"She's beautiful Addie," Bonnielola gushed, the gap between her teeth giving her a slight lisp.
"I wanted a boy one," Ethan sulked crawling into his mother's arms.
Adaline smoothed his brunette hair, kissing his head.
"We don't get to choose my darling," she laughed.
"Well I wanted a girl. Ethan won't let me dress him up anymore," Bonnielola chimed joining her brother for a hug. Adaline chuckled pulling them closer. How lucky am I to have three beautiful and kind children to love and cherish.

The hospital was almost silent as darkness fell. Visiting hours had long since passed and with it Ethan and Bonnielola had been herded towards Mary's car with the promise of a hot chocolate when they got home. Adaline stared at the sleeping form in the plastic cot beside her, splashing of dark hair sticking up. She'd slept most of the day, waking twice for a feed. Adaline had felt as though she could burst with pride when the child latched so easily onto her breast; something she'd been heartbroken at being unable to do with Ethan. They'd sat like that, the two of them closed off from the world, her baby scratching at her breast as she suckled noisily. It was a euphoria Adaline couldn't put into words. The nurse had happily announced they would be discharged the following morning after the handover between nurses. Dean would pick them up and bring them home to the chaos that they currently called home. She was thankful to her brother and sister-in-law for allowing her and the children to stay as long as was necessary until the cottage had been repaired enough to live in again. She'd tried her hardest not to intrude, to put the cooking skills she'd finally acquired to good use and to clean as much as possible when you had two, at times three, children running around.

Her phone buzzed beside her, Mary's name glowing at her.
"Addie Ethan won't let me use his pencils. Tell him I can use them. I want to draw a picture for you," Bonnielola whined down the phone.
Adaline rolled her eyes. No rest for the wicked, or the women who'd just birthed a 7lb baby.
"Ethan let your sister use the pencils. They're not just yours they're everybody's," she replied sternly, desperate for sleep. She could hear the two bickering over the receiver, Mary's voice raising before they became silent. They mumbled an apology before Ethan cried loudly.
"I want my mummy!"
Adaline felt a lump in her chest. She'd rarely left his side in the three years since he'd been born, terrified that he might injure himself or worse without her there to guide him. She could tell it the distance was as hard for him as she herself found it.
"I'll be home tomorrow my sweetheart. Mummy promises. Give me big kisses and rush along to bed. I'll be there before you know it,"
The sound of kissing filled her ears before Mary's voice interrupted wishing her well and demanding she get some rest. Laughing Adaline agreed before ending the call.

Sunlight broke through the crack in the blinds, leaving a slither of light of the sleeping child. Adaline stirred, feeling well rested for the first time in months. The usual hustle and bustle of the hospital had resumed with the breakfast woman making her way amongst the beds to collect the women's orders.
"What would you like deary?"
Her voice was calm and soothing. Ordering a bowl of cereal and some toast - which Adaline was adamant tasted better than any you could get outside of a maternity ward - the woman scuttled along to the next bed. The child fussed beside her, silencing only when Adaline brought her to the breast. Her hand gripped Adaline's finger tightly, her mother softly stroking her fist. Oh how I wish you were here to meet her. Adaline thought, overwhelmed with love. A nurse cleared her throat startling Adaline.
"Sorry to disturb you ma'am. I just wanted to let you know you'll be ready for discharge in half an hour," she smiled down at the child. "She's taking to the breast so well. You're doing an amazing job mumma,"
Adaline smiled and thanked her. She couldn't wait to get home, to be in the comfort of her own bed. Or rather; the spare bed.

Baby sound asleep in their cot, Adaline began to pack her belongings. Dean was due any minute and she wanted to be able to leave right away. She looked at her daughter, dressed in a thick warm babygrow and matching hat, and smiled proudly. We make beautiful babies Elliot.
"Knock knock. You ready?" Dean asked walking towards the cot. He smiled broadly as he picked her up and strapped her into the car seat he'd brought with him. The same car seat Adaline and Elliot had taken Ethan home in.
"As I'll ever be. Are you and Mary ready for the noise?" She joked shrugging her coat on, wincing as she walked behind him.
"Noise? It's second nature to us now, you know that," he laughed loudly, thanking the nurse as she buzzed them out.

The warmth of the house gave much needed relief to Adaline's fingers as the left the cold December chill behind. Christmas decorations adorned every inch of Mary and Dean's home, a Christmas tree glowing softly in the corner. The children were already outside, throwing snowballs at one another, screeching as the cold ice melted inside their coats. A hot cup of coffee greeted Adaline as she gently eased herself onto the sofa wincing slightly.
"I've got one of those doughnut cushions one second," Mary announced rushing towards the cupboard beneath her stairs. She returned moments later with the cushion in hand. "Here sit on this, it'll help,"
Adaline sighed with relief, the pain slightly easing. The aroma of beef stew was tantalising, her mouth watering as her stomach growled. Life was almost perfect. It was just missing one thing. We miss you Elliot.

No amount of heartbreak or pain could ever describe what Adaline felt. For when Elliot left, he took a piece of her heart to the grave with him. They say it's better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all. How lucky Adaline was to have felt that raw love twice in her life. How cruel fate had been, to rip it from her arms both times. Leaving her with nothing but her memories and her sweet little Dottie.