Chapter 9 - Elliot

Sitting in his car, the warmth enrapturing him, Elliot found himself staring at Dottie's home as he had the first time he'd met her. It was a stunning cottage with luscious green ivy crawling its way up the red bricked walls and a large black knocker on the sturdy oak door. Its low but loyal roof, made of simple tiles, carried a tall chimney whose bricks matched that of the walls. It was clear from the outside that the cottage though small in size was snug and comfortable for those who dwelled inside. A handmade wooden mailbox stood proudly to the right of the white picket gate that separated two white picket fences. The American Dream come to England, Elliot had laughed to himself the first time he saw it. The lawn, abnormally green for this time of year, was well kept despite Dottie's age. It was this that gave Elliot the assumption that she had, at some point, chosen to have someone lay AstroTurf to maintain the idyllic image the cottage portrayed to passers by. In the months since he had met Dottie, he had not once witnessed her do more than stroll in the garden, hot mug of coffee in hand as of late. He found himself wondering who tended to the garden and when since he'd never seen another soul in the home except for Adaline and her elder brother with his wife and child. All in all, the home of Dottie Jones was one Elliot envied and pushed his aspiration further to get a real home for himself and his young daughter. Somewhere with a garden large enough to push her on a swing set he would build just for her, to man a barbeque while his friends - not that he had many yet - laughed and joked around him, where he could sit gazing at the stars with someone special by his side. It was a dream he longed for regularly, but he had never been able to see that special someone's face. He began to wonder if she even existed. 

Deciding he couldn't evade the bitter wind any longer, Elliot took a deep breathe, pulled the collar of his coat up about his ears and almost ran through Dottie's front door as the wind's sharp fangs bit into him. His teeth chattered as the door closed gently behind him. He could hear Dottie and Adaline chatting contently in the living room as he hung his coat on the white coat rack that stood against the wall of the porch. Dottie smiled brightly at him as he popped his head around the door and announced himself, Adaline's gaze flicked over his body for a second before her head turned to face the television. He wanted to say something, to pull her to her feet and tell her he was a changed man, but what right did he have? He'd hurt her and only she could decide if she would ever forgive him. No, he would let his actions speak for him and hope that a small part of her would take heed. Taking Dottie's discarded mug and small plate, he offered another cup of coffee before heading to the kitchen to begin the daily household chores he helped with. 

It often confused Dottie's neighbours why she would need a carer every day when she was still so mobile, why she had sought out someone in the village rather than through an agency like many other men and women her age - or as was more often the case, their family members. She would tut, wave a hand and simply tell them she wanted to give back to the community she had spent her life in. Elliot hadn't known that his own grandmother had been close friends with Dottie's mother growing up. She had approached him in their local post office after searching for him since her diagnosis. He'd been unsure at first, he'd had no previous training and wasn't sure if she were simply playing him for a fool. After a few meet ups at a small café nearby, which served the best toasted sandwiches he had ever eaten, Elliot felt more reassured. He wasn't expected to do any personal care, just odds and ends around the cottage, occasionally taking Dottie to do her shopping or collect her medication. He was still baffled that she had been so trusting of someone she hardly knew, but he had done nothing to cause doubts over the months. He'd been on time every day, doing whatever was needed. After a while it started to feel less like a job and became to be something he looked forward to. 

 He'd been unemployed for four months before working for Dottie, having been made redundant at his last job. The fear of being unable to see his daughter should he lose his flat meant he had been job hunting at all hours of the day, receiving a measly hand out of benefits in order to get by in the mean time. It wasn't much, barely enough to live on, but it had been better than nothing. 

Carrying a tray with three mugs on top and a selection of biscuits, Elliot slowly walked back to the living room, careful not to spill the boiling liquid. Drinks distributed out and tray neatly on the coffee table, Elliot lowered himself onto the armchair, grateful for its comfort. The two women chatted amongst themselves, both so similar in appearance it would be hard to mistake them as anything but mother and daughter. Adaline had her mother's sharp jawline, large eyes and ever so slightly too large ears. Their laughter had the same hoarseness to it and both were only just above average in height. It was Adaline's eye colour and her mother's grey hair that provided any difference between the pair. Dottie had eyes like golden honey whilst Adaline's were a deep blue speckled with gold. An unusual colour that he hadn't seen on anyone but her. It was part of what had lured him into her all those years ago. 

"Oh, I forgot to mention Addie, Dean asked if you'd like to come along to Joshua's Christmas fete next week - I know it's only November but they always do it early apparently," 

Elliot started, almost choking on his coffee as he listened to the conversation playing out before him. He'd forgotten about Adaline's nephew, only a year or so older than his own daughter. There was only one school in the village, the same school that housed the nursery his daughter attended. He silently prayed that Adaline would turn down the offer, but he knew she was unlikely to. She'd grown into such a family orientated woman he was almost certain she'd go carol singing if the youngster had asked it of her, despite the fact she was an awful singer. 

"I'd love to! I've missed that little laddie," Adaline beamed, holding her mug closer to her chest as her eyes glazed thinking about Joshua. "I bet he's gotten so big since I last saw him!" 

The two women resumed their chatting, oblivious to Elliot almost staggering out of the living room and into the solitude of the kitchen. His heart was in his chest as he contemplated what to do about the situation. Adaline was going to be at his daughter's school in a week and he could do nothing to stop that; not that he'd want to stop her spending time with her family. But it left him in a bit of a dilemma. He'd promised his daughter he too would attend, both he and his ex agreeing that the best thing for her was to the see the two of them acting civilly and doing outings with her together. Showing her that despite their separation her family unit was very much intact, that she could trust and rely on both parents no matter what happened between them. And it had worked so well over the years. Yes there had been the occasional difficulty and no Elliot was not entirely without blame, he'd had selfish moments that his ex had rightfully set him straight over. But he had never missed a moment. Had been by his daughter's side for all of her birthdays and every Christmas, had been there to walk her to nursery for the first ever time. Picked her up on time every Friday, spent every weekend with her taking her on days out or building forts in his flat - which he only really tidied on a Thursday night. 

He'd never let her down and he knew he wasn't about to start now, not for any woman. So, how did he approach the situation to Adaline? How did he tell her that he was now a father? One who was determined to be a better man than his own, to never have his daughter question his love for her. Did she really need to know? Would it matter to her at all? It wasn't that he wanted his daughter to be a secret, but he had liked to keep his personal life separate from his work at Dottie's. To keep that comforting image that she could have been his real mother and his childhood would have been significantly better. He'd almost mentioned to Dottie a month ago that he had a child when his daughter had taken sick and her mother needed Elliot to have her while she worked. Instead Elliot had told Dottie he'd spent the night vomiting and was unable to work that day. He wasn't ashamed of his daughter, not in the slightest. No, he was ashamed that he'd been unable to make his relationship with his ex work, that he hadn't fought harder after what had happened. That he'd simply given up and left with his tail between his legs, a deep wound to lick. 

Elliot knew he had no choice, he'd have to go to the Christmas fete as he'd promised. He just hoped if Adaline saw him there, she wouldn't hate him. That she'd understand he was doing his best for his child.