Chapter 16 - Adaline

Sunlight eased through the gap in her curtains, embracing the still sleeping form of Bonnielola spread awkwardly on the bed next to her. She wondered how on Earth that position could be comfortable, arms and legs spread out, head raised on the thick pillows. Drool slithered out of Bonnielola's mouth, saturating the pillow. It took her a moment to realise Elliot wasn't there. For a second she panicked that he'd left in the night, the scolded herself. There was no way he'd leave his daughter, not without telling Adaline first at the very least and not without good reason. Not wanting to disturb the child, she slid out of the bed and practically crawled to the door, thankful for the knowledge of which floorboards to avoid. Dottie was already awake, she could hear her coughing violently and gagging in the room next door. Knocking hesitantly, Adaline called in only to be shunned away. She felt helpless as the retching grew louder. Upset, she skulked towards the kitchen, hoping a cup of tea laced with honey and lemon might provide her mother some comfort. Her heart almost stopped as she collided into Elliot, his under eyes dark and hair a tousled mess. She knew instantly he hadn't slept, guilt creeping further up her spine. She should have stayed awake with him. Should have offered any support he'd take. His hands stroked her arm, sending goosebumps along her flesh.
"How is she?"
"Still asleep bless her,"
Elliot laughed deeply, hugging her as hurt spread across her face.
"Hey! I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh at you, but trust me I KNOW Bonnielola is still sleeping. She's too quiet. I meant Dottie. She sounds awful up there,"
Letting out a groan at her mistake, Adaline joined his laughter. Of course he'd know if his daughter was awake. He spent enough time with her. This parenting malarkey was alien to her.
"I don't think she's good, but she's stubborn. She won't let me in. She won't let me help. I don't know what to do,"
Elliot wiped a tear she hadn't felt fall with the pad of his thumb.
"Let's get out of here. All of us. We can go bowling or something," Dottie's coughing began to die down above them much to their relief. They could hear her shuffling about in the hall, slow footsteps with the occasional pause in between. "I know it's not easy to hear, but she really doesn't have long left. She knows it and wants to make the most of what time she has. I think you should to."

Strapping Bonnielola into her car seat, Elliot cooed as she waved a stuffed bunny in his face. She'd been much happier since she woke, news of Laura being home later settling her fears. In the now freshly cleaned and dried clothing from the day before, she was warm and content. Dottie had tried to decline the trip out, stating she was too old to bowl and had too much to do. It took some convincing, but Adaline had won her round eventually. She sat in the front seat, coat zipped tight, hat over her ears and cane between her legs. Just in case she'd said when Adaline froze at the sight of it. Her mother had been so mobile, even of late, that the mobility aid rung truth through Elliott's earlier proclamation. Nestled next to Bonnielola, Adaline spent the car journey keeping her entertained. She loved listening to the nonsensical stories the little girl told her, so full of enthusiasm at things so out of an adult's comprehension. The radio played quietly, Dottie huskily singing along to any song she recognised, Elliot's fingers tapping against the steering wheel.

The bowling alley was surprisingly quiet for a half term. Two other lanes were occupied when the group arrived. Adaline had half expected teenagers to be loitering, loudly cheering on their friends, making a mess with their food and beverages. Instead there was what she assumed to be a mother, father and their son who looked to be Joshua's age in one lane and a young couple in the other, giggling at one another between bowls. Dottie held her cane in one hand and Bonnielola in the other, slowly walking to the lane designated for their group. Adaline had offered to pay at least half but Elliot would have none of it. He'd have paid for the night before he told her in a matter of fact way before presenting his credit card to the female behind the counter who watched the pair intently. With the promise that she should, at the very least, buy lunch for them all, Adaline joined her mother and Bonnielola. After pulling a yellow slide like piece of apparatus into their lane, Adaline typed what she hoped were comical nicknames into the machine.

Dottie cheered loudly as she knocked two pins over, the first she'd managed to hit in the entire game. Even Bonnielola had had better luck and she was three! Though she did have Elliot to help her of course. The other two lanes now stood vacant, their occupants long since tired of playing and desperate for food. Adaline watched in horror as her mother swayed slightly before collapsing onto the floor.
"Mum!"
Staff members rushed from all angles as Adaline ran to her mother's side. Her eyes fluttered open before closing again, her breathing raspy. Shielding Bonnielola's eyes Elliot herded her outside, shouting out to let Adaline know. She was too consumed with what was occurring to take heed. The female member of staff who had sold them their tickets spoke quickly into a phone attached to the wall behind the counter, letting an ambulance know what had happened and where to arrive. It felt like hours before the paramedics entered, moving people out of their way as they quickly walked to their patient. In reality it had been no more than ten minutes. Dottie by now had thankfully regained consciousness, was talking to the paramedics as though they were her old friends. After a quick examination, the older male paramedic pulled Adaline to one side.
"She looks okay, but I'd like to get her to the hospital to be on the safe side. With her age and her illness I think it's best to make sure nothing is seriously damaged,"
Nodding her agreement, Adaline followed the stretcher that carried her mother - who by now was shouting at anyone who would listen, telling them she was perfectly capable of walking. Demanding someone find her cane and bring it to her. Elliot stood outside waiting when Adaline left. Quickly explaining what was to happen as they walked, Adaline gave Bonnielola a hug and told Elliot to head home.
"I'll call you if we need anything," she promised.
"Please let me know when you're both home safe. I'll pop by tomorrow to check on you,"
"Bye Adaline. I love you thiiiiis much," Bonnielola held her arms out wide, big smile on her face. Melted by her words, Adaline quickly kissed her forehead before climbing into the back of the ambulance. The doors shut, Elliot and Bonnielola still standing and watching as it began to pull out of the car park.

The hospital was a buzz of machines, patients and nurses hurrying to and fro between the beds. Dottie had been admitted to a ward for monitoring, though the doctor seemed convinced she wouldn't need to spend more than a night there. Dottie had been outraged as a hospital band was placed around her wrists.
"I'm not going to die in this place. I want to go home!"
Now, she slept fitfully on the tiny mattress, Adaline sleeping in the chair beside her head hung forward. A nurse cleared his throat, waking them both.
"Sorry to disturb you, I just need to check your blood pressure Dottie,"
Rolling her eyes, the older woman thrust her arm forward, sulking at the inconvenience. The arm puff hissed as the nurse made notes of the reading. A thermometer quickly found is way into Dottie's ears, stethoscope to her back and chest. She left hastily only to be replaced by the doctor who had admitted Dottie.
"We'll just keep you in a few more hours, but I see nothing too concerning thankfully. All things considered, you're doing pretty well," he smiled. Again Dottie rolled her eyes.
"That man wants to keep me here," she hissed once he'd left.
"He really doesn't Mum, just be patient. You'll be home soon,"

Soon turned into much later. Dottie had yet another severe coughing fit that brought up blood. The doctor decided instantly she was to stay until the coughing eased, aware of its relation to her illness. It had lasted longer than ten minutes, the longest Adaline had experienced. Dottie lay, lethargic and fed up, until finally she was able to convince the doctor to let her leave. He'd been conscientious at first, but Dottie had insisted that she was going to die in her own home. That she didn't want to be strapped to machines and poked and prodded for the rest of her days. With the condition that she allows a doctor to visit her three times a week he relented. Sat inside a taxi, Dottie grinned triumphantly at Adaline.
"Told you I wasn't dying there. Now get me home, I'm tired,"
Her mother's rapid mood swings throughout the day had exhausted Adaline. The two women parted ways as soon as they entered the house. Dottie to the left in the living room so she could watch Pointless in peace, Adaline straight up the stairs so she could climb into her bed and sleep. A quick text to Elliot letting him know they were home with a quick summary of what the doctor had told her and Adaline yawned. Her eyes closed easily, sleep welcoming her like an old friend. She blocked out the coughing from below her, telling herself not to worry. That her mother was fine and would call upon her if she was needed. Right now, she needed to forget the world and rest.