Chapter 18 - Adaline

Sat cross legged on the living room floor, a heaping pile of presents surrounding her and cello tape between her teeth, Adaline enjoyed the uplifting sound of Christmas jingles as she wrapped the Christmas presents she and Dottie had bought. The knitted jumper dress and knee high black boots that Mary had been eyeing up during their annual shopping trip proved somewhat of a challenge for Adaline to wrap - the perfectionist in her becoming increasingly frustrated. To her right sat Joshua's extensive pile, containing three different Paw Patrol figures - Marshall, Chase and Zuma from the Mighty Pup collection which Adaline knew he did not her own - a Ryder plush that also came from the Paw Patrol television series, a collection of Hot Wheels cars, some Lego and a Spider-Man figure to name but a few of the items she and Dottie had purchased. Dean being the ever difficult member of the family to buy for has a card containing cash so as not to disappoint. She smiled proudly at the pile of presents she'd already wrapped for Bonnielola just in case Elliot happened to pop in. She'd hunted high and low trying to find the perfect gifts, genuinely squabbling with another woman to grab the last Vulpix teddy knowing how much the youngster loved Pokemon - Adaline had, of course, been triumphant. Other Pokémon and Barbie related toys had also jumped into her basket on the way to the checkout. She knew Bonnielola would love every present.

She didn't dare risk wrapping Dottie's presents until she was safely secluded in the spare room, though she wished she'd managed to find more for her mother. The small pile containing a framed photograph of Joshua proudly displaying his missing tooth, a new jumper and some new fluffy slippers seemed pathetic and thoughtless in comparison to the other piles. Adaline had debated buying something for Elliot, unsure what they were exactly. Were they a couple? Friends? The not knowing gave her a headache, but she was too nervous to ask him for clarification. Not wanting to leave him out and - though she didn't dare admit it aloud - finding herself falling quicker than she would like, Adaline had a photograph of him and Bonnielola blown up on a canvas, some professional watercolour paints and new brushes. Though he didn't yet know it, Adaline had accidentally stumbled into the artwork he hid in the cupboard in his bedroom whilst trying to find a T-shirt to sleep in. She'd admired every piece, the pain he held deep inside clearly visible in the dark shades and rough edges each painting held. He was incredibly talented, his work taking Adaline's breath away.

Presents successfully wrapped, Adaline stretched out her legs, cracking her knuckles before standing. The wooden floor had been an uncomfortable seat, leaving her bum feeling incredibly numb. It took her three trips to get every single present upstairs and safely hidden in the cupboard inside the spare room, away from the prying young eyes of Joshua who made it his mission each year to find his presents early - Dean and Mary only letting Santa take credit for the stocking they hung at the end of Joshua's bed. A quick glance at her phone told Adaline it was 12:35, her stomach's growl indicating it knew lunchtime had arrived. She knocked on Dottie's bedroom door, the older woman having gone for a nap over an hour ago. She was met with silence, sending a shiver of fear through her body. Dear god please no. Not today, not yet. I'm not ready. Her mind raced as she slowly opened Dottie's door, eyes half closed in anticipation. She released the breath she'd been holding upon hearing Dottie's loud snoring. Gently shaking her shoulders, Adaline was able to rouse her enough to announce lunch would be ready shortly. Her mother - so frail, skin paper like and translucent now - nodded before drifting back into a deep sleep where she would remain for the next few hours.

Lunch was a simple affair, cheese and ham sandwiches with a side of salad. Adaline made a plate for Dottie and left it, covered in a layer of tinfoil, in the fridge for when she woke. It was quiet in the cottage, and lonely. She wondered what Elliot was doing at that moment. Was he wrapping presents? Or was he a Christmas rush about leaving everything to the last minute like Christopher had been? Christopher. Guilt hit her like a train as she realised she'd not thought of her husband in over a week. Was she allowed to move on? To feel normal? Was she deserting him and all they had shared together? It had, after all, been almost a year since his passing - but was she still supposed to mourn him every day, turn down the potential of a happy relationship. She wished grief and widowhood came with a manual so she knew what to do.

Her phone vibrated across the dining table, ripping her from her thoughts. Elliot's name shone up at her. Smiling and pushing her doubts to one side, Adaline hit the answer button.
"Hey, I was going to head to the Christmas market. Fancy joining me?" His voice sounded lovely and energised exciting Adaline. She loved the Christmas market; the smells, the atmosphere, the mulled wine and hog roast. She'd be a fool to turn down such an offer.
"Does a bear crap in the woods?" She laughed, regurgitating a saying her father had used regularly throughout her life. Elliot's laughter rang into her ear.
"Brilliant. I'll be with you in ten. I can't wait to see you Addie,"
Neither can I,  she thought ending the call with a goodbye. Scribbling a note to Dottie, she pinned it to the fridge with the ugly Lanzarote magnet Dean had bought Dottie whilst on holiday a few years back. Their mother was a sucker for holiday nick knacks. The uglier the item, the happier she was bound to be.

Elliot's hand felt warm around her own, providing a sense of security she'd been missing in her life. A small reusable bag shaped like a cow hung by her side, already half filled with Christmas decorations and jarred tomato and chilli chutney ready for cheese and crackers on Boxing Day. A tent up ahead caught her interest. A woman, dressed to Adaline's surprise in jeans and a thick woolly jumper instead of a flowing gown and bandana,  sat at a table offering fortune tellings. Elliot grimaced as she dragged him towards the woman. In truth, she wasn't a believer of mediums or psychics. Thought they were a con. But today she wanted to try one out even it'll it was a waste of money. The woman ushered them inside the tent, revealing a small square table laden with tarot cards and crystals. Two chairs sat one side with a cushioned chair for the fortune teller on the other. The trio sat, Elliot anxiously shifting his weight.
"I see pain. A lot of pain. You've not processed past events yet and cannot truly move forward until you do," she began, her voice echoey and mysterious. Adaline stared at her wide eyed.
"How do I process it?" She asked, curiosity reeling her in. The woman looked at her and shook her head before pointing at Elliot.
"Not you deary. Him,"

Elliot almost fell off his seat, staring at the finger pointed out at him. For a phony she must be good, Adaline wondered astounded by his reaction. She knew he'd had a pretty awful childhood, but knew very little of the graphic details. Elliot would instantly close up whenever his family was mentioned and Adaline hadn't wanted to pry.
"I see a prosperous and joyful future for you, but only if you can let go of the hurt and truly forgive," the fortune teller continued before turning her attention to Adaline.
"And you; I see a man and the letter C. He's showing me bent metal, the smell of alcohol. He wants you to know he's happy. He's safe. He wants you to be too. He said he knows and it's okay, to - excuse my French - grab that shit with both hands and take it. Does that mean anything to you?"
Adaline sobbed, clutching the edge of the table.
"That's my husband. He was killed by a drunk driver," she admitted, suddenly unable to say anything more.

The pair left the tent equally disturbed, neither speaking as the processed what they had heard. The warm claret scent of mulled wine circled them as the drew closer to the stall nearby selling it. Buying a glass for each of them Elliot said nothing as he passed Adaline her drink. She sipped on the festive beverage, also content to be silent. Satisfied with their drink and full from the earlier hog roast baguette, the pair walked hand in hand along the stalls taking in everything around them. The silence was a comfortable one, each completely enjoying the other's company. When it came time to leave, Adaline felt her spirits dip. She didn't want to go home, to spend hours lying awake listening intently for Dottie's cough wondering if she'd still be with her come the morning. Her heart fluttered as Elliot suggested she join him for dinner, with the offer to spend the night if she wished. She did. She absolutely did. They'd still not kissed and she was getting quite fed up with the lack of speed whatever it was they were in was going. She wanted to rip his clothes off, let him claim her. Yet he made no move. Her forehead was the only place to receive any action from his lips... and the pit of her stomach, the warmth between her legs would constantly remind her of their jealousy. Soon she'd have her wicked way. She had a plan.