Chapter 20 - Elliot

Orange streaked the walls when Elliot woke. His erection throbbed against Adaline's naked leg draped over him like a blanket. Whenever he and Adaline spent the night together, Elliot found it took significantly longer for his morning erection to leave. He smiled down at her, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear watching whilst she slept soundly in his arms. Her hair flailed behind her, messy and tangled from sex and sleep. He needed to pee but was hesitant to rouse her. Besides, better to wait for his penis to calm itself before attempting the task in question. He wasn't keen on the idea of spraying Dottie's bathroom. Arm behind his head, Elliot closed his eyes and listened to the soft snoring noise Adaline often made when asleep. It was a sound he found endearing and relaxing. She was a still sleeper making it easy and enjoyable to share a bed with her. There had, so far at least, been no subconscious battle for the duvet for which Elliot was thankful, Laura having stolen their duvet almost every night leaving him cold and vulnerable. Sleep begins to lull Elliot back into its embrace.

An earsplitting scream from below them jars Elliot and Adaline from their slumber, hearts pounding in their chests. Mary! Pulling his clothes on quicker than he ever had before, Elliot closely followed by Adaline -also dressed in her pyjamas - stepped into the hallway to see Dean standing outside his bedroom door. Joshua stood wide eyed next to his dad. In silent communication, Elliot grabbed hold of Joshua, taking him into the bedroom he'd exited to play with his toys whilst Dean and Adaline raced to investigate. Screams and sobs shook through the house. Joshua's hands covered his ears as he rocked back and forth.
"Hey. It's alright mate. Why don't you show me what this character does," Elliot fought to maintain a calm exterior as he held up the Chase toy for the youngster who hesitantly reached out.
"He says Chase is on the case," Elliot soon learned. Footsteps clambered below them, Adaline's voice full of tears in the distance sending shivers down Elliot's spine. He didn't need to ask. He knew instantly. Dottie was gone. He had to be strong for the terrified little boy before him, couldn't free the emotions raging inside him.

The adults sat around the table. No one spoke. They'd been successful in their attempts to keep Joshua upstairs and entertained as they phoned Dottie's family doctor and the local funeral director who had been quick to remove her body. Now the cottage stood silent, though Elliot could almost swear he could occasionally hear Dottie's shuffling feet. He glanced at Adaline, her face red and puffy, hands clasped together in front of her, head bowed. He wanted to hold her. To tell her everything would be okay, but he knew it would be dishonest of him. She knew better than anyone at the table what it was like to grieve someone. The raw pain that stabs you for the first few weeks. He didn't know how to act. How to help her. His phone vibrated in front of him, Laura's name clear to everyone present. Crap, Bonnielola. In the panic he'd completely forgotten he was to spend Boxing Day with his daughter. He looked at Adaline apologetically. He couldn't ask her to still join them. For the first time since she was born, he knew he'd have to break a promise to Bonnielola. Unspeaking, Dean and Mary stood - Mary leaning to Dean for support as the walked out the room leaving the two lovers alone in their thoughts.

Unsure how to approach the situation, Elliot cleared his throat. Adaline looked up, almost looking completely through him.
"I, er, I need to go and get Bonnielola. Will you be okay without me here?" He hoped she nodded, would at least pretend to be fine. It would make it easier to leave her behind. Instead, her hands covered her face, shoulders bobbing as she silently sobbed. In one movement Elliot was by her side holding her. He shushed her gently, stroking her hair as she broke.
"I'm so so-so-sorry. I'll get re-ready," she stammered, pushing herself upright before leaving, not looking back at Elliot who sat bewildered in place. He hadn't expected her to continue with their plans, especially given current circumstances. She needed time to process everything. Following behind her, hands in his jean pockets, he peered into the living room Mary had found Dottie in. She'd looked peaceful, like she was asleep, Mary had said through her tears.

"You don't have to come along. You're in shock,"
Adaline mindlessly wandered about the room, oblivious to his presence as she mumbled incoherently under her breath. Stepping forward Elliot held her arms, forcing her to look at him.
"I mean it Addie. We can do it some other time,"
She shook her head at him, wriggling free of his grip. She continued to mutter as she pulled clean clothes on, her jeans on backwards after her first attempt. Elliot sat her down on the bed, carefully pulling her jeans down before helping her redress. He sat behind her so she was between his legs, brush in hand he gentle removed the tangles in her hair. Still she said nothing. He didn't force her. Her helped put her shoes and coat on, zipping it until it reached her neck.
"Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?"
She nodded not meeting his eye. Sighing, Elliot took her hand in his own.
"You can change your mind at any moment and I'll bring you straight home," he promised as he helped her into his car.

Bonnielola jumped excitedly in her mother's living room window as Elliot and Adaline pulled into the drive. Taking a deep inward breath, Adaline smiled broadly before stepping out. The front door opened and a bundle of purple and brunette ran towards her arms outstretched. Kneeling down, Adaline embraced her deeply before helping strap her into her car seat. Elliot watched intently, searching for any hint that Adaline needed to be home. The car door closed with a small bang as Adaline returned to her seat. As soon as her seat belt was fastened her smile fell. Bonnielola chattered happily behind them, telling them both what presents she had received. Elliot smiled into the rear view mirror as she babbled endlessly. He was glad to know she hadn't received anything he had purchased.

Running through his front door, Bonnielola raced for the living room and the stack of presents that awaited her arrival. She squealed ripping paper from boxes, frequent exclamations of joy as she held a box for Elliot and Adaline to see. Adaline's face was like a statue, her smile never faltering. She reminded Elliot of the air hostesses he'd seen in the past. Adaline held a gift bag out to Bonnielola who almost snatched it from her hands a quick thank you said before more paper flew into the air. Bonnielola gasped.
"Look daddy!" In her outstretched hands was a Pokemon backpack toy that he knew cost a fortune. He smiled gratefully at Adaline as Bonnielola scooped her toys in her arms and ran into the bedroom to play, leaving a Christmas destruction in her wake. Blackbag already in hand, Elliot grabbed fistful after fistful of paper, shoving them deep into the bin. Adaline beside him began to fold and rip cardboard boxes, stacking them into his recycling bin before flicking the kettle on. She'd spoken a little since they had picked up Bonnielola and Elliot was beginning to worry.
"Do you want to go home tonight? Or would you prefer to stay here?"
Adaline blinked at him a few times as though she didn't understand what he was asking. A small smile tugged at the corner of her mouth, her arms wrapping around his waist.
"I'll stay here if you don't mind. I can't bare the thought of being there right now,"
"You can stay for as long as you need,"
Elliot stroked circles into the base of her back, cheek resting on the top of her head. She needed him and he'd be damned if he left her again.

Tired and emotional, Adaline retired to bed shortly after dinner, Bonnielola tucked up beside her. Standing at the doorway Elliot watched them both. She really is an amazing woman, he thought as Adaline snuggled closer to Bonnielola. She'd taken to his child in a way Elliot had never expected, treating her as though she'd been the one to grow and birth her. It was one of the many things he had come to love about her, not that he would utter those three words to her yet. The thought of her leaving him terrified Elliot, had him waking covered in sweat many nights in a row.

Flat now spotless, Elliot carried Bonnielola into her own bed before crawling next to Adaline. She murmured next to him, a small sob escaping her. Cradling her in his arms, Elliot kissed her forehead. Shadows danced across his wall, the harsh wind tapping a branch against the window. As a child such noises would have him screaming, crawling into his parent's bed only to be scolded. Now, it provided peace when sleep was difficult to come by. His eyes began to flutter, sleep ready for his arrival. He didn't know what the upcoming days would hold for Adaline, wouldn't pretend to understand - when his own father had died a few years prior he'd felt an overwhelming sense of relief - but he was determined to be there for her in any way she needed. To let her scream, hit and cry at any given hour.
"I love you Adaline Jones," he whispered, assured she was still asleep by her heavy breathing. Closing his eyes, he welcomed sleep like an old friend.