Chapter 12 - Adaline

Adaline woke in a better mood than she had in months. The snow outside had settled during the night and she could not wait to spend the day in the cold with her family. Her mother had suggested a roast dinner with all the trimmings, the last they'd have before christmas. Adaline's mouth had watered as she nodded enthusiastically at the idea. Dottie's roast dinners were a family favourite, even the brussel sprouts and pancetta dish she made went down a treat. Adaline had long since theorised her mother must use a secret ingredient; she just simply couldn't stomach brussel sprouts unless Dottie made them herself. And the Yorkshire puddings, oh, those little fluff balls of heaven caused many family feuds when Adaline was younger, each child wanting to scavenge any that remained. As adults the bickering persisted much to their mother's dismay. The smell of roast beef - seasoned well with rosemary, thyme and oregano - wafted into the spare bedroom teasing Adaline with its delicate fingers. Oh god, it was going to be torture enduring such a heavenly scent all day knowing she could not touch anything until later this afternoon when the family gathered around the table. Unable to take it any longer Adaline ran down the stairs, almost colliding with Elliot who had just entered the cottage. He blushed as he caught her, hand still on the small of her back. A faint smile tugged at the corner of his mouth as he continued to hold her. Neither said a word. His cold hands almost burning her skin as he moved his hand ever so slightly. His nose was red, hat pulled over his ears. A real life Rudolph, Adaline thought chuckling. Clearing his throat Elliot released her and stood straight patting the snow off his coat. Her body screamed for his touch once more.
"Did you- did you get my note?" He asked, eyes towards the floor as he shuffled his feet. Looking at the embarrassed young man before her Adaline found herself wanting to warm his flesh with her hands. To hold his face and stroke his cheeks. She nodded, a genuine smile glowing at him.
"I did. It was very sweet and I truly appreciate your honesty,"
He smiled back at her, nodded slightly, then made his way to where Dottie could be headed humming to herself.
"Elliot! You made it. Oh isn't it dreadful outside, an accident waiting to happen I'm telling you,"

Adaline retrieved the note from her pocket, quietly reading it again with no one about to disturb her. She'd never had a handwritten note handed to her before. Well, there was that one time in secondary school that Mark had slipped a note onto her desk, but he'd asked her to pass it along to Amy the pretty popular girl in their class, so that didn't really count. Christopher was romantic in other ways, always holding the door for her, surprising her with flowers and gifts, taking her to see her favourite musicals. But he wasn't a writer, he spent too many hours writing for work that it had become a tedious job for him. Elliot's note wasn't long, nor was it really that over romantic, containing a scrawled apology for not letting her know about Bonnielola sooner and asking if she'd allow him to make it up to her. A 'screw professionalism, I'll quit if it means I can see you" in black ink staring back at her as she read. Reassured by Laura's proclamation the day before that Elliot was not in fact in a relationship, Adaline had decided to let him have that chance. She wasn't sure if she was ready to move on, or if she ever truly would, but she accepted that it couldn't hurt to at the very least give it a shot.

Adaline was curled on the sofa, hot coffee in her hand, chatting to Dottie and Elliot when Joshua's voice rang through the hallway to them. Dottie beamed, easing herself off the sofa so that she could embrace her grandchild. The youngster had brought his Paw Patrol puzzle with him excited for Adaline to help him complete it. She was delighted to offer assistance as they sat at the dining table sorting the corners and edges from the middle pieces. They spent many hours together making, destroying and rebuilding the masterpiece as Dottie and Mary pottered about the kitchen preparing a multitude of dishes. When the two women weren't looking, Adaline and Joshua greedily snuck a piece of beef, chewing the meat behind the hands. Adaline winked at Joshua and shushed him as she slid a piece of raw carrot towards him. It was something she and her brother had done together growing up. Dean caught the pair giggling amongst themselves another raw carrot in their hands. Ruffling Joshua's hair, he took a piece for himself and stuffed into his mouth before Dottie could scold him.
"You three best not be filling yourselves up before dinner," Mary chuckled at the three huddled together at the table. They quickly shook their heads laughing as she drizzled honey onto the carrots and parsnips before nesting them in the oven. The trio groaned as their game ended. It was at this moment that Adaline realised Elliot had left without saying goodbye. Her chest hurt as she instantly missed his presence in the cottage.
"Don't eat everything you three, we have guests tonight," Dottie announced as she sieved flour onto the potatoes and fluffed them. Guests? Adaline wondered who on earth her mother had invited. Perhaps Mr and Mrs Williams from next door.

Distracted by the aromas in the kitchen and desperate for a shower, Adaline stopped wondering who would be joining her family and retreated for some much needed alone time. She loved the bustle and bustle that came with her family but had become accustomed to the quieter lifestyle she and Christopher had shared. Still, not wanting to miss out on any of the fun, Adaline quickly showered, slipped a rust brown jumper dress over her head and thick black tights to keep her warm when they ventured into the snow, before heading back downstairs. Joshua was stood at the front door, anxiously waiting for the adults to finish getting sorted. His hat hung over his eyes, scarf covering his mouth and gloves awkwardly put on so that his fingers were in the wrong holes.
"Here let me help," Adaline smiled. "Much better."
Joshua hopped from foot to foot as Adaline herself pulled on her hat, gloves and scarf before letting him escape out the front door. His gleeful yells filled the quiet of the village as he threw himself into the snow before making a snow angel. Watching him, Adaline felt a pinch of jealousy at his carefree manner. Oh how she wished she was six again, innocent to the world and all the pain it carried with it. Mary kneeled next to Joshua, encouraging him to build a snowman with her. It was a poor attempt, barely able to stand straight and missing the key ingredients that made it lifelike - like stone eyes - but it was perfect nonetheless.

Cold shot down Adaline's chest earning a sharp scream as it melted in her bra. Dean laughed, ducking behind his car watching Adaline jiggle about trying to get the now liquidised snowball out of her clothing. The war had started. There was no way she would let her older brother win. Balls of snow flew about the front garden, adult and child alike seeking shelter in anyway they could, their laughter bringing neighbours out to join in the fun. Soon it had become a battle of women versus men, Adaline and Dean set on hitting one another. Raising a snowball above her head, target in sight, two figures walking their way caught her eye. A tall man, features indistinguishable from the distance and snow in her eyelashes, with someone much smaller by their side. Squinting, trying to make them out a snowball hit Adaline in the face making her recoil. Something sharp had been in the ball and warm liquid seeped from her eyebrow.
"Oh god! Addie I'm so sorry! What the hell was in that?"
The battle had ended, at least momentarily, as Dean and Mary examined Adaline's face. The blood made her vision hazy as the two figures walked closer. Elliot and Bonnielola! They were her mother's guests. Despite the pain Adaline smiled and waved at the pair before being ushered inside, Mary almost dragging her to the kitchen for the first aid kit. The antiseptic stung as Mary wiped Adaline's brow. She happily announced no stitches were needed, that the wound was superficial. Pity Adaline had muttered, hoping for a battle scar to prove she'd held her ground well. From behind the women, a cough sounded. Smiling at the younger woman, Mary left calling for her son.
"Are you okay Addie? I saw the blood. Let me take a look?"
His hands were cold against her chin as he turned her head left to right, face close to hers as he examined her. Their lips were close, so so close. Holding her breath Adaline placed her hand over his. He looked at her, smiling shyly yet not moving away. His head lowered, their lips grazing ever so slightly. Moving her head slightly to one side, Adaline parted her lips. She could feel Elliot's warm breath on her as he moved closer.
"Daddy, I need a wee!"
Pulling away quickly and dropping his hand away from Adaline's face, Elliot turned to see his daughter stood by the front door hopping from foot to foot. He quickly ran to her, scooped her up and carried her over his shoulder to the bathroom, her squeals the only sound in the cottage. Adaline sighed. She had been so close, and yet so ridiculously far. But now she was certain. Elliot wanted her too. It was just a matter of time.