Chapter 15 - Adaline

Pulling the door open with enough force to unsteady her, Adaline glared at Elliot. He stood, worry written over his face, hands by his side. It was then Adaline's expression softened. Hiding behind his legs, clasping on the hem of his shirt with tears in her large brown eyes was Bonnielola. She was silent for the first time since Adaline had met her. Eyes darting between the two, Adaline opened the door further as she ushered them in. Their movements were slow and mindless. It was clear to her they were anywhere but present with her. Guiding Elliot and the whimpering child into the kitchen Adaline helped them sit at the dining table before switching on the kettle. Tea fixed everything she'd learned over the years. The mugs sat in front of them, neither making of them making a move for the hot beverages. Leaning forward Adaline took Elliots hand in her own, smiling at Bonnielola hoping for one in return. She received nothing. The young girl stared at her hot chocolate bottom lip quivering.
"What's happened?"
Elliot glanced quickly at his daughter, an obvious concern to discuss anything in front of her. Taking the hint Adaline scooped the little girl in her arms. She flailed reaching for her dad, head butting Adaline in her desperation. With no sound, Elliot held her close rocking back and forth.
"It's Laura," he said simply. Bonnielola sobbed loudly calling for her mother. Fear pricked at Adaline. She'd never seen a child so worked up. So terrified and confused. She wanted to take her pain, make things better with a magical kiss like she'd had herself as a child. She couldn't imagine where her innocent mind was taking her. The chair scraped loudly on the laminate flooring as she pulled herself closer. Held them both in her arms. Stroked Bonnielola's hair and kissed Elliots forehead. They sat in near silence other than Bonnielola's whimpering and hiccups. She knew whatever had happened was bad. Their obvious state of shock made it predominantly clear. Then it hit her. The baby. It would have been impossible not to notice the sizeable bump Laura carried even through her thick winter coat.
"Is she okay? Is the baby okay? What happened"
"I don't know. I just don't know," Elliot sobbed.

Adaline didn't know what to do. How to react. How to help. She worried for Laura. For Elliot and Bonnielola. Bonnielola's face was dirty apart from two streaks down her cheeks where her tears had fallen. The remnants of her dinner orange against her pale skin. She needs a nice bath. I bet she'd love a bubble bath. Cradling Bonnielola's tiny hands in her own she squeezed gently.
"How about I run you a nice warm bath. You can pick a bath bomb if you'd like. Then how about we all climb into my bed and watch a movie. Do you like sweets Bonnielola?"
The toddler nodded, a smile on her face much to Adaline's relief. Elliot handed her over, a much easier transition than a few moments ago. Holding her closed Adaline sung to her softly as they headed to the bathroom.
"You are my sunshine. My only sunshine,"

Bonnielola's giggles filled the room as she blew bubbles at Adaline. The smell of blueberries tickled her nostrils. Leaning against the doorframe Elliot watched the pair, worry still creasing his brow. Water splashed onto the floor soaking Adaline as Bonnielola proudly announced she was Ariel the mermaid. Pyjamas! She needs something warm to wear. Letting Elliot take over Adaline rushed to the spare room, rooting in her drawers to find something that would be of use. That will have to do. A black Guns n Roses T-shirt gently placed over the radiator to add warmth and a pair of white fluffy socks that would, she hoped, cover Bonnielola's knees was all she could find.
"Uh oh. Grandad fingers," Bonnielola's voice floated towards her followed by the gurgle of the plug and Elliot's footsteps. Holding up her hands beneath the much too big towel, Bonnielola proudly showed Adaline what she had meant by her earlier statement to her dad. Wrinkled fingers. That makes sense. Quickly drying her off, Elliot pulled the T-shirt over her head. Untangling the cord of her hairdryer Adaline sat cross legged with Bonnielola in front of her. The hair brush glided smoothly through her brunette hair, any tangles easily eradicated. The hairdryer roared to life, taking mere minutes to dry what little hair she had.