Chapter 24 - Adaline

The will reading had been an altogether uneventful affair with Dottie's assets split equally between her children. Perhaps the biggest surprise for those in attendance to learn was of the £15,000 and sapphire engagement ring bestowed to Elliot who had almost fallen off his seat at the news. He'd tried tried protest, to revoke his claim. Adaline and Dean would hear none of it, both eternally grateful for the love and support he had provided their mother in her final months. Besides he was pretty much a part of the furniture as Dean had half joked. An honoured member of the family Mary had agreed. It was the matter of the house that had been the root of most of the dilemma they found themselves in. Adaline and Dean were both named beneficiaries with the condition that the house was to remain in the family. Dean and Mary had made it crystal clear that they had no intention of leaving the home they'd raised their son in. Unless Adaline moved into the cottage, it would remain vacant. They'd briefly consider renting the property but quickly decided against the idea when looking at the reality of such a situation.

Elliot sat at the dining table, he and Adaline alone in the cottage rummaging through Dottie's belongings. It felt wrong to sift through a dead woman's stuff, to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. Conversation was sparce, Adaline on a roller coaster of emotions as she stacked item upon item into boxes. She'd laughed, cried then laughed again when she found Dottie's photo albums stuffed to the brim with decades of memories, parading endless photos of her as a child. Three year old Adaline in the bath, a bubble beard covering over half her face. Seven year old adaline throwing a tantrum as the credits to The Little Mermaid rolled in the background. And his personal favourite, fourteen year old Adaline sulking on the sofa for apparently no reason whatsoever.

Personal belongings separated into three potential piles; charity, bin and keep. Dottie's entire life reduced to nothing more than nick nacks and keepsakes.
"Dean will be over tomorrow to check through and make sure he agrees with everything," said Adaline as she placed Dottie's clothing into a box labelled charity.
"Why don't we go out, anywhere you want. You've been cooped in this house for days,"
Blue eyes framed with dark circles looked up at him. She nodded dropping the box onto the floor with a thud.

Buzzing conversation and tinkling of cutlery filled the restaurant as they scanned the menus before them. The girl's got taste, Elliot admitted to himself, the shrimp linguine seductively catching his eye. A waiter, resembling a penguin in black and white suit, stood in front of them, the tinies notebook Elliot had ever seen clasped into his hands. He looked as though he'd rather be anywhere but there as he shifted uncomfortably.
"I'll have the spaghetti carbonara please," Adaline smiled handing over her menu.
"The shrimp lingui- however you pronounce it please,"
"So that's the spaghetti carbonara and the shrimp linguine for you both. Can I top up your drinks?"
Elliot did not appreciate the sarcasm nor the way the waiter repeatedly looked Adaline up and down with a smirk on his face. His hands balled into fists on the table; softness enveloped them gently reigning him in. Adaline smiled broadly at him not moving her hands as she turned to the waiter.
"That would be lovely thanks,"
The waiter bowed his head slightly, side eyeing Elliot, before scurrying away with their order. Adaline opened her mouth to speak a loud round of applause interrupting her as the woman three tables over accepted her partner's proposal. She grimaced, rolling her eyes at Elliot slowly clapping her hands alongside the other guests.
"Not a fan of marriage?" Elliot silently cursed himself. Of course she was, she'd been married before.
"Marriage yes. A public display for a bit of attention, absolutely not," she laughed moving back slightly to allow the waiter ample room to place their drinks.
"I really don't like that asshole,"
Following the waiter with his eyes Elliot scowled. He was desperate for the food to finally arrive so they could eat, pay and leave.

The shrimp was delicious, the tanginess of the tomato sauce dancing with Elliot's tastebuds. Messy, but delicious. Specks of red tainted his shirt, the embarrassing result of slurping his spaghetti. Adaline pretended not to notice as she raised her glass.
"To us," she said simply.
"To us."
Elliot gagged on the dry liquid making note to order something else should they stay for dessert. He hoped not. Adaline held her fork towards him, coaxing his mouth open. He moaned quietly as the slightly salty yet creamy taste exploded in his mouth. I should have got that instead! Adaline moaned softly, eyes closed. He felt himself bulge, almost breaking the restraint of his trousers.
"If you do that again, we're leaving. Straight home," he growled.
Eyes narrowed, Adaline brought the fork back to her lips. Another moan escaped her, a subtle smile tugging at the corner of her lips.
"That's it!" Raising his hand for the cheque, Elliot glared. "You've done it now woman."

Clothes littered across his bedroom floor, Elliot pulled Adaline close. Both panting, a tangle of sweat coated limbs. He silently cheered, Adaline having finished twice before he erupted inside of her. She stroked the hairs splattered across his chest, silently trying to correct her breathing. Her skin tasted salty on his lips as he kissed her forehead. He'd gladly stay this way with her forever. Retrieving the glass of water from his bedside table, Elliot was grateful to ease his dry mouth. Her weight shifted beneath him as she moved closer, arm wrapping around his waist. She sighed deeply, kissing his chest, leg curved over his. The extractor fan in his kitchen quietly whirred, their heartbeats playing a loud symphony. Her eyelids fluttered closed, deep breath drawn in. With the arm wrapped around her, Elliot twirled a lock of her hair, thoughts drifting. Things were perfect. For the first time in so long he was happy, excited. He'd never imagined being able to drop his guard after Laura, and here Adaline was patiently taking apart the wall brick by brick. Proving time and time again that he was enough, that he deserved the love he'd been denied his entire life. A smile stretched across his face, taking in the picturesque moment they were sharing. He needed to shower, to wash the sex, sweat and pasta sauce from his body, but to move, to leave the comfort of his bed safe in the arms of the woman he loved felt too big a task. It could wait until morning he told himself, images of him and Adaline coming together as one, hot water spilling down her back half raising him to attention. It can't wait. God I need her now. Opening his mouth to speak he noticed Adaline peering up at him through her eyes lashes, pupils still dilated. He grinned, confident her mind was moving down the same path as his. He didn't want a single thing to change in their relationship, wanted everything to stay as in sync as it was.

"Move in with me," she said, barely a whisper as Elliot brought the glass back to his lips.
Elliot spluttered, water spraying from his mouth, dribbling down his chin and soaking his side of the duvet.
"What?"