Forty-four

🌺🌺🌺🌺

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Her last exam for a while, boy was she happy to have a semblance of normalcy back.

She took a bike to the junction, the boarded a bus that was going towards their area. During the bus ride she started feeling sleepy, but she dared not sleep. Nigeria wasn't a safe place to fall asleep with strangers.

Thankfully there was no hold up, soon enough she came down at her bus stop. Then a bike straight home.

*****

'Alright!!! These are the contestants that are going to continue this dance battle next week. God tribe! Levites! The apostles! Finally the limit breakerrrrrsss!!',

The teenagers went wild with excitement. Esther was on the limit breakers team. If it was humanly possible to jump to the roof without any propellers they would have gotten their with the level of excitement they were showing.

'So we'll see you all next Sunday at 4pm. To the teams that didn't make it, you'll beat them next year. Congratulations!! Glory to God!',

Daniel hadn't showed up or better still she hadn't seen him. So as she was jumping up in joy someone swept her off her feet, she only turned to see his face before relaxing.

'When did you get here?!',

'While you were performing. Congratulations babe',

'Thank you, I'll be right back. Let me go take pictures with my crew', she ran off to go meet her team mates who were quick to hug her and one of the guys kissed her cheek. She burst out laughing, soon enough she was hugging other people.

Daniel watched the whole exchange. He knew he shouldn't be jealous but he was.

They started a celebratory dance to champions by Frank Edwards. Esther of course became center of attraction as she lead the break dance to follow the song.

After so many pictures to count, Esther literally ran away from her crew and pushed Daniel out the door. She began laughing all of a sudden.

'Dear Lord that was a tight competition! We didn't even choose our partners! Our teens pastor gather all the dancers in the church and split us into six groups. Then threw us randomly into each group. Thank God my team won!', she giggled as she buckled up in the car.

'So how was your day and your journey here?', she asked as she loaded the pictures sent to the church group page. Daniel didn't answer. He simply reversed the car and drove off the premises.

Esther was so caught up in the pictures that the car slowing down was what got her attention. They couldn't have reached her house so soon.

She saw that they were just a few poles from the church, 'Is everything alr-',

Daniel cut her off with a kiss. She kissed him back for a while but felt something was off. He didn't release her when she tried to push back. She used more force this time.

'What is up with you?!', she yelled at him.

'I didn't like how those boys were all over you',

'Then you should have said so from the start instead of trying to scare me, those boys as you call them come with the package of dancing! I'm walking home!', she opened the door before he could stop her and began walking briskly.

It was late, the quicker she got home the better it was for her.

The Hilux sped past her and she had to stop. Is he for real?!

She didn't bother and prayed that a bike or someone heading in her direction from church would drive by. She kept walking though. Thankful that her bag wasn't heavy.

After a while she began a light jog to cover the distance. The quicker route would have been to go back to the church, but she was already on this one. The quicker she moved the faster she'd get home.

Five minutes into her jog she saw someone jogging in her direction. Rather Daniel. She didn't even bother, she kept her jog and ignored him when he was close to her.

'We'll walk together',

'Go away Daniel, I'm not in the mood to fight with you',

'Neither am I, I'll walk with you', she ignored him and kept her light jog.

'Then I guess I'm jogging with you'.

She ignored him. Soon she was tired as she'd already had an energy exerting day, so she stepped and continued to walk.

At the junction she sat on a bench she saw to catch her breathe.

'Can I sit?',

'Knock yourself out',

He sat so close to her that their thighs were touching. Before she could object he pulled her into a hug.

'I'm sorry I ruined your night, and made you angry with me',

She didn't say anything because she was tired and all she wanted was her bed right now.

'It was very immature to behave that way. I'm sorry, I just got upset when he kissed your cheek and the way you laughed afterwards made me jealous-',

'I have been dancing with those people since preteens class in church. We are just like siblings. We've worn each other's clothes, sat in each other's lap, we're just close. The guy who gave me a peck is the group leader, his girlfriend was part of our crew. The girl I hugged after the so called kiss. My hair is still on tight.

I don't understand why you are jealous of Dave',

'I know that, but remember how you felt when Betty answered my phone? That's about how I felt watching that kiss',

She kept quiet after that.

'I understand, I'm off though. If I want to get home in time-',

'No you're not. The car is right there',

'I don't think I want to be in the same place as you right now',

'I understand, I do. But safety first, please', she went with him to the car. She sat and looked out the window all through the ride.

Twenty minutes later she was at her gate. She tried opening the door handle but it didn't open.

'Open the door Daniel', she said. She just wanted to sleep.

'Please look at me',

She did as requested.

'I'm sorry I ruined your night. And I mean that',

'It's fine. Can I go now?',

Seeing no way around it, he removed the child locks and she left the car. But not without saying goodnight.

Comment

Vote

And share

God bless you 💞