Ten

'Oya start talking', Shola said the moment she set her eyes on Esther the next day.

'Good day to you too Shola and my day has been going quite well, thanks for asking', Esther said as she continued setting up shop for the evening. Last night had gone well, she really thought her mum would flip but after Daniel introduced himself she simple thanked him for bringing her kids home and ushered them inside.

She didn't even mention it during their morning devotion. Neither had she said a word about it all day.

'Girl de talk sharp sharp abeg, let's know how to fix this stuff sharperly', Shola at this point was not smiling.

'Well if you want me talking about it then grab a knife so we can work and talk', she was fairly surprised when she picked up the knife, washed her hands and sat on the stool opposite the small pile of yams and potatoes.

'His name is Snr Daniel which you already know, he followed me outside the hall after i returned Tobenna's brother's jacket and tie. At least i guess that's what happened, cause i sat down outside, felt someone staring at me, turned and saw him. Babe fear been catch me o, i think na purnishment been wan fall out. I even shock pass when im say make i sidan, sha gist been start before you show', she said as she quickly peeled a tuber of yam.

Seeing what Shola was doing she continued working.

'Babe, i no go lie give you. Boys like Snr Daniel have a high tendency of not being good news. The gist is that most of the cults are looking for how to recruit him, but he's refused. The last thing we need is them thinking they can use you as leverage to get to him', Shola by now had dropped the yam she was working on.

'Why would be used as leverage to get to him? Where im from sabi me to get dat levels? Babe you're exaggerating, the chances of that happening is super slim. We just talked once, i'm almost very sure it won't happen again. Guys like him go for Snr Nadia and Snr Oge, not girls like me who can count her friends on her two palms and look nothing like Snr Nadia and Oge'.

'Is that so? Do you remember that girl he was talking to outside our window that day? Well she got a personal visit from Kech, asking her to tell Daniel he said hi. Babe don change school o, no time for dulling',

'Well let's pray it wont come to that and it won't. Please come and join hand let's change the oil for frying',

'And i hope you know that this is where the helpful Shola train ends, urgh!! I can't believe i helped this much',

'Me neither',

'You should pay me', she said looking thoughtfully

'And just like you yoruba folks i'll say werey, better still in a language you'll understand faster; i bu onye ara',  the two girl laughed unaware of the eyes watching them.

Leaning on the wall on the opposite side of the street with a cigarette in his mouth, he watched the two girl prepare the shop. What he observed didn't seem serious but then again Daniel had never driven anybody home before.

He would report to Kech, but he'd also point out that they were kids. Probably best to leave them alone, especially if he carried their brothers as well. This sh*t was giving him a headache,he'd leave the thinking to Kech.

He stumped his cigar and left the area.

Later that night as she sold the fries her attention was called to the army hilux packed a little close to the shop.

'Mummy come sell for a bit let me attend to the officers!', as soon as she saw her mum approaching she went to the packed vehicle.

'Good evening sir, good evening sir', she greeted the two officers inside the car.

'Good evening, what do you have this evening',

'Sir there's fried yam, fried potato, fried plantain, puff-puff, chin-chin, fried fish and meat',

'Okay, boss which one you want', he asked the officer with him

'Mix yam and potato for me. Like five hundred with fish tail',

'Same for me, go come',

'Sir does the five hundred include the fish or minus fish?'

'Minus fish'

'Okay sir', she went to get the order ready.

'She seems well trained', Ugo said from the passenger seat.

'Let's just hope those boys don't get stupid and bother her, she's a nice girl', the conversation stopped as Esther brought their meals to them.

'Sir plus the two fish everything is one thousand four hundred', she handed them the fries then the serviettes.

'Here you go', she was given two one thousand naira notes. As she opened the pouch on her apron to give them change the officer from the passenger seat said she should keep the change.

'No sir please, it's here take it sir',

'Okay hold it, i'll use it to buy something from you tomorrow', before she could point out that they weren't open on Sundays he drove off.

Wow! was all she could say, she had been given fifty naira. An occasional one hundred or two hundred, but never up to five hundred. She'd have to wait till monday to refund it to them.

comment

vote

and share

God bless you