Nine

A mix blasted though the speakers, whoever was her partner began the dance when it came to the partner dance. They were the last performance, so the crowd was already charged. The competition was a tough one. Everybody wanted that price money.

The tempo started soft and was gradually building, the boy knew how to work a crowd as by the time Queen Esther took the stage the crowd went wild.

She had a senior class jacket on, a tie loosely done and one side of her shirt untucked. Like most of the girls she was on braids that she let fly.

In one sentence, she brought the music to life. By the time they were done nobody was seated. Even the judges were standing and cheering for the duo till the boy lifted Queen Esther clean off the floor and spun her. Then did Daniel have a very opposite reaction from the crowd.

He saw red while the crowd chanted go Tobe, go Tobe.

So that was his name he thought as he watched Queen Esther laugh her heart out at the gesture.

Soon the results were given and of course they won the partner dance, the music resumed as light refreshments were set out and those feeling like it helped themselves. Looking around the hall he saw Queen Esther slip off the jacket and tie and return to a guy standing with Tobe, then she slipped out of the hall while fixing her uniform.

He didn't think twice as he went after her.

He found her sitting by herself a little bit away from the hall. She must have heard him or felt someone coming because with the way the music was playing he doubted anybody could hear anything.

She immediately stood up still looking at him.

'Please sit down', he gestured as he spoke. She sat down but not without hesitation. He didn't sit but walked down the stairs to stand at a level where he could look her in the eye without bending his head.

Someone closed the door and reduced the volume of the music they were hearing.

'You gave quite a performance back there. My name is Daniel", he stretched a hand for her to shake and she noticed his sleeves were folded.

'I'm Esther, but everyone calls me Queen Esther', she shook the offered hand as not to offend him. She was almost sure he could hear her heart pounding away.

'Oh yeah? Why?', he asked giving her a small smile.

'Well there are three of us bearing Esther in my class since JSS1 so we distinguish ourselves like that. Me being the smallest in stature got Queen Esther, Esther Raymond got Lady Esther while Esther Nwaka is Estelle', she said wondering where this confidence was coming from.

'That is a very efficient method, Queen suits you though', he complimented and watched her shy away.

'Thank you', she murmured back and froze when he finally sat down but he leaned back so his shoulder was near her knees.

'So tell me about yourself Queen Esther', he said enjoying how he unnerved her.

"What do you want to know Snr Daniel?',

'Anything you want to tell me, and to you I'll always be Daniel', she  nodded her head and told him the basics about herself and he did the same. Soon Shola came out through the door and battled between leaving her best friend with the senior with an unverified cult status or chancing him punishing her for interrupting them.

Before she could decide he looked up which made Esther look up as well.

'Hey! time to go?', Esther asked her prompting a response from her.

'Good evening senior, yes the bus to our area had arrived',

Esther turned to look a Daniel but he was looking at Shola, amused if she was reading him correctly.

'What is your name?', he asked her.

'Shola Adewumi senior', 

'Okay Shola, would you mind if i took both of you home?', he asked making both girl furrow their brows.

'We are going with our siblings senior',

'The car should take you all, you're not more than five right?',

'Yes senior', Shola said

'Okay, get them and meet us in front of the gate in five minutes. Do you have a bag to grab?', he faced Esther who shook her head no. Shola at Daniel's pointed look went to get their brothers and found Daniel at the said gate talking with the gate-man.

Esther was standing a little distance from them.

"Girl wetin de occur?', She hissed in her ears once she reached her.

'I swear i no know. Later', Esther hissed back when Daniel walked back to her.

'We're good to go, the car is just outside the gate', he gestured for them to follow him and they saw a hilux packed where he said a car would be. Their brows rose high when he pulled what they assumed was the key out of his pocket and opened the car.

'Get in', he said once he noticed the still standing there.

Esther looked at Shola and Shola not so subtly gestured her to the front seat while she and their brothers entered the back.

'Don't look like you're about to die. i actually know how to handle a car', he gave Esther another smile before driving off.

Within ten minutes the Adewumi's were dropped off and Daniel waited till they shut their gate before he drove to Esther's house where her mother was outside the gate waiting for them.

comment

vote

and share