thirty four

'Who is that?', Esther asked when the knocking on the door was getting on her nerves.

The person kept knocking without answering.

'When you're ready you'll answer!', she said and went back to her room. Holiday had started, and Chima went to the market with their mother meaning she was home alone.

The knocking persisted but she made no move to go and check. Putting on ear piece she pressed play on her phone and let the slow music lure her to sleep.

Her phone ringing woke her up, she saw it was her mum and walked towards the door before answering.

'Ma?',

'Bia mepe uzo biko!',

'I'm already there', she unlocked the door and helped carry the things inside the house.

'How was the market mummy?', she asked as she brought a cup of water for her mum.

'Nne, the price of things are gradually climbing. Hmmmm, it is well. Give your brother food to eat before he'll start another round of complaining',

'Okay ma, you nko?',

'I bought watermelon, bring it for me',

'Okay ma', after serving everyone she sat across her mum.

'Mummy, someone was knocking on the door today. I asked who it was the person did not answer, I kuku left the person there and went to sleep',

'Did you peep to know who it was?',

'No o, I just turned and went upstairs. Although I said the person should answer whenever he or she is ready'.

'Please be careful o, go and call that your brother', as soon as they both came in she continued.

'Both of you are aware of what these people from your father's place are doing. Biko, if it's not important don't go anywhere alone. Always escort each other, it's only two of you that I have o. No one is more important than the other. If they don't answer don't open the door. If they report to me I'll caution them.

Chima I'm very particular about you causes I know sometimes you don't ask you just open the door. Don't make it convenient for them to kidnap any of you o! And don't follow them anywhere, even if they say I said you should follow them. It's a lie o, go to the barracks or call Daniel to call his uncle.

I've said my own o, a word is enough for the wise. Go and arrange my kitchen Esther, Bobo go and rest. You'll continue when you wake up', they went to do as they were asked.

****

'Guy wetin na?!!! We still de run?!! Abeg abeg I don tire! O ginizi?!', Kasper fell on his back trying to catch his breathe.

He asked Daniel if he could join him for his Saturday drill. Daniel told him no that he wouldn't keep up but Kasper insisted.

'Dude this run is timed, if I don't get by the expected time my other exercises would be increased. Get up, you were the one insisting you wanted to come',

'I no wan do again na, na by force?! You wan kill me?! One hour straight without break! Even if na thief de pursue me!',

Daniel rolled his eyes before dragging Kasper up. He wasn't joking about what he said about extra reps. The returned to their starting point to find other mopols warming up. He spotted his uncle among them.

'Guy, na house get me laidis o. To die Neva de hungry me-'

'It's not as bad as it looks, just worse', Kasper sent him a glare that made him laugh.

'Alright Mr chicken, I'll see you later',

'If you like call me a puny whiny little girl I ain't getting involved in that. Peace out!', he turned and left Daniel.

Daniel shook his head before jogging up to his uncle. He was yet to tell anyone, even his mother that he was going to NDA after his results came out.

His mom would definitely miss him, heck he was sure she would say no. But he wanted to do this.

Reaching his uncle, his uncle pointed to the weights across him. Four reps, then switch to those.

He forced himself to not think about how he would break the news to his mom, and focused on the workout. By the third set he begged his uncle to let him rest.

His arms were sore.

'Rest and continue, I'll be in my room when you're done',

'Okay', he fell to the floor breathing hard. His uncle laughed and left to his room.

Comment

Vote and share

God bless you 💞