Twelve

'Esther!!',

She was fast asleep, she'd managed to pull four hours of straight reading the previous night. And now she was paying the price, she glanced at her watch and saw it was 9a.m.

Why is this mother of mine calling me this early?!! It's Saturday for God's sake!!!

'Ma!!!:, She screamed back after the third call of her name. Whatever was her mum's reason it better be good.

Judging by the time she would have woken up she did her chores before going to bed by 3am. So why was her mum bothering her?

She opened the door and walked to the parlor. Their three bedroom apartment was the perfect size for the family, each had their own room plus they barely ever had visitors.

'Mummy! I'm tired!', she grumbled as she saw her mum sitting in the dining room.

Ewo! Nne! Iwe ewela gi, someone is here to see you and I was very sure you wouldn't mind', her mum said smiling at her.

'Mum if you woke me up because of Shola I'll kill her',

'So much hostility at this early hour of the day'. That voice, she could place it any day anytime.

The scream left her lips before she could stop it and her legs propelled her into the arms of the person she had missed so terribly.

'Aunt Maggie!!!!!!!',

'Hey calm down! I like my ears functional!', but she was laughing as she said it.

Aunt Maggie had been the only person they'd come to know as extended family. Her mum promised to tell her everything one day, but that day was not today because Aunt Maggie her mum's best friend was back from the US.

'Now how's my favorite girl doing? You know I totally missed you right? Where's that scallywag you call a brother?',

'Right here, and I'm not a scallywag', her brother said from the parlor door.

'Still are no matter what you say. Are you too big for hugs now? Come give me some sugar!!!', her brother obliged her and they spent the morning catching up.

Meaning Aunt Maggie cursed out all the people working in the nigerian aviation system. The kids laughed through their Mum's disapproving looks.

'Well I did a little shopping for you guys, most will be too big but you'll grow into them. Esther, do you kids do prom or is that a white man thing?'

'Not sure but I've got three years to either find out or make it happen. Especially if you get me the dress I want to use',

'Count it done darling', they talked and talked till Aunt Maggie had to leave for her hotel.

She'd barely snuggled back into bed when her phone rang. She mumbled some words that her mum would definitely smack her head for before answering the call without checking the caller id.

'Hello?',

'Enyi a! I'm coming over o, heard Aunt Maggie came back. If you think you're enjoying alone this time around you are sadly mistaken',

'I'll kill you',

'Tough luck. See ya!', the call ended.

She picked up the phone, switched it off and tried to catch some sleep before her hurricane of a best friend got to her house.

*****

'Dude he's not budging. I've staked that shop that people are beginning to ask if I'm a thief. Sha those mopol people de patronize them wella these days, I no sure say e wise to go fin am',

Rattler had taken over the stake out after the last guy quit. And he too gave the same report, the girl should be left alone.

'I've heard you. I'll see for myself later', came his response.

Daniel thought he was too smart to join them. Had the effontry to insult him, him of all people.

He would pay, either in person or he'd hurt that cute girl he's always hanging around. Somehow whenever he wanted to set out to hurt her, or if he found her in an opportune environment he'd let her go.

Like something was stopping him.

But one day he'd have his quota, either from him or through her.

The weed he was smoking was long gone but he held on to the wraps he didn't use.

Daniel in their last encounter had told him in plain English that he had no plans to be a professional student and neither did he have plans to throw his life away like him Kech was doing.

Mpari ga-adigide!!!

Because he invited him to join them.

He'll get him, then he would beg to join them and wouldn't be answered.

This one is moving mad

Anyway

Comment

Vote

And share.

God bless you 💞