Thirty six

'You're becoming very difficult to corner. But today is my lucky day', she didn't know what was going through her mind when she decided to follow the apiam way home.

'Good afternoon',

'And she's always so polite, which would make this very painless for you', he grabbed her arm before she could make a run for it.

He was very certain he could catch her if she ran but he wasn't in the mood to chase her down.

'Now, listen and listen carefully. Tell Daniel that delay has never meant a no in my books. So as a courtesy from a future brother to another you'll remain unharmed pending his response to our request', something was forced into her hand.

'Make sure he gets it today, and you'll be perfectly fine. Go', she didn't wait to be told twice before running away from Kech.

She didn't think, she didn't stop, she didn't do anything but run till she got to her home and hurriedly locked the door. Then the tears came.

****

He stared at the paper Esther gave him. He was totally surprised when his mum told him he had a visitor, and more shocked when he saw who it was.

The paper was all she handed to him, with no words he opened it and read the words over again.

We await your response to our humble request
The quicker you answer the faster she'll be left alone.
But I never liked threats so let's keep it as a promise yea?
Kech.

He was just weak. It was starting to look like they were going from one problem to another.

'When and where did you get this?', he finally asked. He was too tired for all this madness, but Esther's safety always came first.

'This afternoon when I was coming from Shola's house',

'Was she with you?',

'No',

'Okay, one less person then. Come sit down a minute, I need to think', he gestured her inside the house. He was trying to close the door when he saw his father.

Could he catch a break today?!!!

'Where is your mother?',

'Good afternoon sir, she's currently not available. Can I take a message for her?', he was relieved and surprised when he said no and left immediately.

'I'll need to call Uncle Ugo and tell h about this cause you're being threatened here and I don't have the means to protect you on my own. If this was given in school it would have been slightly different. But we're not there',

'I understand', she was staring at her hand in her lap not knowing what to say.

'Hey, look at me', she reluctantly did.

'Please let me fix this, don't shot me out. Please', she gave him a confused look.

'You don't have to suffer alone, I'm very interested in helping',

'Okay'.

'Thank you, let me quickly change I'll take you home',

'I can go on my own'

'You don't have to, and you're not. Sit down', he left and returned shortly fixing his shirt.