Three

Tonight was somehow slow as the fries were getting cooler and cooler by the minute with little to no buyers in sight. On a normal night she would have gone with her brother to the streets but the rate of insecurity due to cult activities was enough to make her remain in front of their shop.

The bear parlor across them was booming with serious music and a lot of customers. 'Larger'  the bar owner usually let her come in and sell to the customers but the day her mum found out nearly put her in a hospital from the beating she received.

So Larger had promised to not have her in the bar but to send out his servers or send the customers directly to come and buy from them.

She sighed one more time before subconsciously bobbing her head to the rhythm of the song from the speakers.

Ile ijo  was a very old song but it somehow always put a prep in her steps. She didn't have the slightest clue as to the meaning but she danced anyway.

This she held close to her heart, her dancing. Her mum still got some moves in her and from time to time they did mini dance competitions at home. The embarrassing part was when her mum would beat her at her own game.

'Enyi a!  pack up let's go home. Today's market is somehow, but thank God for the ones we were able to sell", her mum stood up and began packing up already washed trays and frying spoons. She followed suite by placing the fries in different thermo-coolers and was surprised that individually they weren't too much.

Which equaled to dinner for her and her mum, breakfast and lunch for her and her siblings.

As she packed she remembered she had not yet done her fishery assignment. But she'd do it once she was settled for the night. At least so far the subject looked fairly easy and her assignment scores so far were encouraging.

*****

The blow to his face left him dazed. He tried to stand but was once again knocked to the ground.

He didn't know how but today he had run into his father who was hell bent on ending his life. He must have got wind of the kind of company he was keeping these days, but then again the man never cared what he did.

'You want to be a cultist baa? have you learnt nothing you bastard!!!', he yelled as he kicked him in the stomach.

The door kept banging and the locks rattling as his mother screamed for his father to leave him alone.

'You won't kill my only child!!! Leave him alone!! If you want to kill anybody come and kill me!! Leave my child alone!! Go back to your wife and leave me alone!!'.

His mother had been one of those girls that fell prey to rich married men and ended up with him. For most parts it had always been him and his mother but his father showed up occasionally and ninety-nine percent of the time the visits never ended well for him.

He received a kick to the head which he mustered energy to touch and felt blood running down his face.

His last conscious thought of was the door being opened and his father dragging his mother inside by her hair.

He really wished he could help but he couldn't see anything other than the darkness.

The next time he came to he was lying on a bed in what he presumed was a run down clinic or a backyard chemist. Far be it from his father to have treated in a good hospital. Dealing with the police was something he would rather die than do.

He moved his head as much as he could and saw his mother talking to somebody. When she turned he saw her blackened eye and immediately anger filled him.

How he hated it when his father hit her, he often wondered if he beats his wife or reserves the frustrations of his marriage for his mother.

'Dim! why? Just tell why you've chosen to send me to an early grave. Cultists of all people! If you want to get even with your father pray that God should remove him from this earth, not selling your soul to the devil Dim.  I've never heard of a cultist that ever went far in this neighborhood. They all died before twenty five.

Eh Dim?  do you want to leave me alone at the mercy of that demon? do want me to die of heartbreak?!', as she broke down he too cried. The pain was too real but he needed a way to protect from his father.

He vowed to get stronger and then he'd give that bastard a dose of his own medicine.

yikes!!!

comments on the chapter

vote and share

God bless you