Nineteen

Her arms hurt from helping set up the stage but she was happy. The reach-out concert was finally taking place later that evening.

She only wished she was on the carnival float that was to take off later that morning.

'Esther you're not dressed?!', her teens coordinator asked her making her confused.

'Dressed for what Ma?',

'The carnival na!!! The teens church has a truck to itself, I sent out the message this morning. Oya oya gather the others!',

' Ma what about the stage?',

'They will fix it, right now it's not my problem. Go change into your green white green',

Not needing to be told twice she swiftly handed over what she was holding and rushed to the main church auditorium to see Shola holding some props.

'Girl hurry wear dis dress, then we'll put this on you',

She quickly changed out of of her short and top into the tulle gown and as soon as the prop was fastened to her back and one place on her head a speaker blasted music from outside.

Biggie Biggie Biggie Biggie

I don't know how to Describe You
I don't know how to Explain You
If I say You Good,
You're more than Good
If I say You Nice,
You're more than Nice
If I say You Awesome,
You're more than that
The only way
I can describe You Lord
You're so

Shola was bouncing to the beat while Esther moved her shoulders. Soon even they were outside where the teens quickly did a routine that was rehearsed for another song.

As they danced to their truck Esther felt elated. Today was going to be a good day indeed.

As the truck came into the express they all yelled, 'happy independence day Nigeria!!!!',

At various junctions they alighted to distribute rhapsody of realities and to do mini concerts.

By evening they were back in church talking over each other sharing their experience for the day, food was brought in along side drinks.

The concert started in earnest and they danced their hearts out. Taking pictures, uploading it. The best dressed was announced, gifts were given.

By 9pm Esther and co decided to go home. Very grateful that the next day wasn't a school day. Her phone notification went off, she opened it to see messages from Snr Daniel. Rather pictures of her and Shola at different times during the carnival float and even some during the concert.

She tried turning looking for him in the crowd but another notification came in.

I'm by the gate.

She smiled and asked Shola with their brothers to follow her.

Surprisingly Daniel pulled her into a hug as soon as she was within reach.

'You did good today', he said loud enough for only her to hear. Shola's eyes nearly left her skull. Their brothers tried to see nothing.

'Thank you', she hesitantly returned the hug. Shola being Shola took a picture, the flash didn't even phase them.

'Let's go, have your parents left?',

'Since after the carnival. We were told to leave as soon as we could manage to', Esther responded while Daniel rested his arm on her shoulders.

'Alright, I packed at a little distance. Let's go', he turned Esther in the said direction while Shola and the boys followed behind.

*****

'Shola if you behave normally for just once the 'o' in your name will not loss! I want to sleep!!',

She grumbled as Shola made herself comfortable on her bed.

'You will wake up o! As you didn't seem it fit to tell your best friend that you now officially have boyfriend, you will face this panel o. We need to review this our friendship', Shola said making Esther groan.

She really shouldn't have used that phrase on Shola back then. Now she never missed an opportunity to use it.

'Babe we are not official, or anything for that matter. It was just a hug!', she screamed into her pillow.

'The peck nko?! Don't even bother, I saw it!', Esther screamed 'why me!' into her pillow before sitting up to give her said best friend a murderous look.

'Becausr I did not call it kiss you're priding? Should I talk??!',

'Oya ma binu. Nothing is happening, it was just a hug a kiss to the forehead. Many of our class boys don do that one na. So it's not a big deal', she shrugged looking at her best friend with a yawn.

'Hmmmmm, okay o. Sha uncle lover boy is looking for you. He has been outside since, I heard mumci saying she'll pour him water if she comes out and sees him still there', Esther groaned.

'That man should keep trying to find out if I can take off the garment of home training. One day I'll insult him, idiot. He shouldn't go and chase his age mates. Aturu'

Shola nearly fell off the bed laughing.

Song used is biggie biggie by testimony jaga... You'll love it.

Comment

Vote

And share

God bless you 💞💞