Thirty one

She took her own advice and vested all her energy into her academics and social life.

Her grades when released where grossly improved, she had come 8th. She was ecstatic! Her mum was speechless when she received her result sheet.

She so badly wanted to tell Snr Daniel about it but she remembered she insisted he focused on his exams while she dealt with her life.

The dance rehearsal scheduled for the day was cancelled but she came anyway. She'd been working on a solo performance for church, and she was yet to perfect it.

She took off her sweatshirt so she could be more comfortable. Her mp3 was connected to the Bluetooth speaker she had with her. She listened to the music like three times before trying on the new moves she had in her head.

An hour later she had figured out most of the dance routine. She set her phone camera to record herself. As she looked up she locked eyes with Snr Daniel.

To others he looked the same but she saw it, he was tired. Exhausted being a better term used to describe him. And he was watching her, for how long she didn't have a clue.

'Good evening senior', she greeted.

'You've lost weight', was his response.

She didn't know what to say to that cause she noticed too.

'Umm, yes umm I've been working out more..',

'That's nice',

'You don't look too good Snr Daniel', she blurted out before she lost her nerve. This is the first time she was seeing him in two months. Of course she was purposely avoiding him.

He gave a laugh, 'yea I know. Not been sleeping well, exams and all'.

He staggered a bit when he stood straight, Esther rushed towards him.

'You need to sit down-',

'I'm fine, just tired-',

'Then you'll sleep',

'I can't, need to get back to class', she somehow pulled him to the area of the hall that had mattresses which they used once in a while.

'Just one hour and I'll wake you. I promise', she tried bargaining with him but he refused.

'I won't leave you here alone',

He looked at her before lying on the mattress she had placed on one of the long tables by the wall. She sat near his head before doing what she wanted to do, raising his head and sitting under it.

His arms circled her waist to get more comfortable, she realized too late that she didn't wear her sweatshirt. His breath tickled her belly, indicating he was asleep.

She let him sleep and spent the time running her routine in her head, soon she started running her hand through his hair. He need a haircut though.

As promised she tried to wake him up after the one hour elapsed, he responded by snuggling closer to her belly.

'Snr Daniel it's almost 6:30, we need to go home', he gave a non coherent mumble in response.

Her phone rang at that moment so she had to get up to go get it.

'Hello mummy.... Yes I'm still in school... Yes ma I know what the time is... Ok ma, I'll buy it at the junction when I get there... Ok I'm coming home now, bye', she ended the call and pulled on her sweatshirt.

Daniel was sitting up and rubbing his eye, he looked adorable.

'I need to go', she said as she packed up. She wasn't interested in analysing anything about them right now, she was too young for all this.

'I would like to see you tomorrow', he said watching her. She paused the bag zipping before answering.

'Tomorrow is Saturday, I have things to do for my mum',

'I don't mind joining you',

'I really don't know Snr Daniel-',

'Would you stop calling me that already! Its annoying me',

'Sorry', he heaved a sigh and got up from the table. After rubbing his face he quickly fixed his shirt.

'I'll come by your house around 10 am, if you don't me to come you can just say so. I'll understand', but that was the problem. She didn't know if she wanted to see him tomorrow or not.

'I don't know, honestly',

'That's not a no, I'll take it. I'll see you tomorrow', he walked up to her and kissed her forehead. For a while, before pulling her into a hug. He truly missed her.

'I'll see you tomorrow okay?',

She nodded in agreement, she missed him. But most times distance seemed best, right now she was questioning the person that ever said that.

Comment

Vote

And share

God bless you 💞