Thirty five

'Mba mba mba mba mba! No! Nna m no! You're not going!', she was getting hysterical. Daniel had tried to tell her in the best way possible but she shut it done immediately.

'Ugo, what did I do to you? Whatever it is forgive me, but biko my son is not going to NDA o! Eji m chukwu wee rio gi biko! Please he's the only one I have-', he didn't realize she had called uncle Ugo till she started talking.

She listened to what he said but still said no, he didn't know how he felt about that. She had always given him whatever he needed as long as she deemed it important.

This was important to him but he was getting a resounding no.

She set her phone on the table and began singing songs of lament. Daniel's eyes bulged out, he would never have expected it.

Chimooooo! Bia nyere m aka!!

Uwa m eh!!!

'Mummy what are you doing?', he had to ask.

'As you've chosen to leave your mother all alone allow me to cry to my God, Chimooooo ehhhhe! Bia nyere m aka!!!',

He was thoroughly shocked.

'Mummy it's okay I'm not going again-',

'No you want to leave me! Me nna m! You want to leave me! Chimooooo ehhhhe!

He knelt down and started begging her.

Eweeeeeeeee!

Obim ooooo

He never knew his mother had it in her to be this dramatic. He was definitely not going to pass through this ever again.

*****

'Nneka can I talk to you?', Nneka looked up to the voice she hoped to never hear again ever in her lifetime.

'No', she continued fixing up the restaurant that she just opened. It was very close to the time she would open. Esther was in the back with her other workers placing the already made meals in their required containers.

'Come on babe, let's -',

'Who are you calling babe? Are you well? Look, this na early morning! Comot for my workplace with your bad belle now now so!', she walked around the counter and continued picking up the stuff she wanted to set up.

'Okay I'm sorry, but please. I just want to-',

'Mummy the moi moi is ready, should we put it in the cooler or just line it with the others? I don't want it to get cold-', Esther paused as she took in the stranger.

'Sorry, Good morning sir', she quickly retreated to the kitchen when she cut the glare her mother threw in her direction.

'Look Nnaemeka, I don't know what you hoped to achieve by coming here. But I'll save both of us the time and energy by telling you no and it won't work. Please don't come here again. And don't send any of your family members to me again. Your brother has been released, now leave me alone', she turned on the light in her showcase.

It was too early to be dealing with family problems, family problems that she refused to associate herself with.

She walked to the doors and pushed them wide open. Rolled up the curtains and put on the fans to ensure the place was properly ventilated.

'Obim come and move this table for me!', she called and Chima came out to do what she needed.

'Do you think I should switch this table with that one?',

'Mummy leave it, after one week we'll know if anything needs to be changed or not', he said while fixing some chairs that were scattered.

'Is this him?', she had completely forgotten about him.

'You're still here?', she asked clearly annoyed.

'Is this him?', he asked walking towards Chima who gave him a blank stare making him stop in his stride.

'Nnaemeka leave my restaurant before I call the police on you-', Ugochukwu and his friends stepped into the restaurant at that particular time, fully dressed in their army uniform.

'Officer good morning', she forced a smile for the officers.

'Madam good morning, abeg hot pap with dodo. Men de hegde!', Nneka laughed at their shenanigans.

'Make una sitdan, Esther come and serve the officers!',she called to the back. Esther came out smiling widely and laughing at some of the jokes they shared.

'Sirs do you need anything else?',

'No thank you', Ugo spoke for the first time.

'Alright, mummy about the moi moi-',

'Nne m put it in the cooler, let's finish serving breakfast first. Attend to that customer. Nnaemeka leave my restaurant', she faced him head on.

'I'll be back-'

'Don't bother', she didn't wait for his response and went to join Esther to serve the customers that came for their breakfast meals.

'Esther go and ask your friend what he wants to eat', Esther heard her mum say after a long while. She looked up wondering which friend she was talking about. She saw Tobe and Muna sitting down at the last table.

'Guy how far?',

'We de o, Omo hunger is real', Muna said rubbing his stomach for emphasis.

'Wetin una go chop, rice de, swallow de, porridge de. Which one?',

'Na fufu get me o, abeg 200 swallow. Tobe howfar guy?

'Same',

'Okay, I de come',

'They want fufu 200 and soup',

'Okay serve them. Put an extra wrap for them to share. Use one plate and put the 5 fufu, then their soup on separate plates. Did you ask them the soup they wanted?',she quickly went to ask them.

'Ogbono for Muna and Egusi for Tobe',

'Oya go and serve them. Don't go there and gist o',

'Yes ma', she quickly took the food that her mum dishes for them.

'Here you go,enjoy!',

'Omo!! Mumci wan make we chop wella. Help up tell am thank you!', Muna said while rubbing his hands together.

'No wahala', she turned and packed up the dirty dishes.

By evening she was ready to pass out.

'Mummy I'm tired!', she whined when her mum came to the back.

'Ewooo, nwa m. This is the working hard part of the business. Ndo o, go and sit down for a minute. Have you eaten anything today?',

'Yes, moi moi in the morning',

'Oya Ugonna! What is on the fire? What do you want to eat? Inshort stand up and go find whatever you want. We'll soon be going home. It's almost 10pm',

'Yes ma, she dragged herself to the back of the counter to help herself.

Comment

Vote

And share

God bless you 💞