Chapter 38: Twice the Amount

Ji Pyeong's POV

"Mr Han? Mr Han?" Dong cheon's persistent voice shakes me awake.

"Oh yes?" I jolt up, realising that I've fallen asleep on my office desk.

"Did you not sleep well?" Dong cheon asks.

"Oh." I nod.

"Is it because of Samsan Tech's acquisition deal?" Dong cheon asks slowly.

I nod slowly again.

The past few hours were sheer torture for all of us. Samsan Tech has just been waiting in nervous anticipation for the meeting with Alex this morning. I bite my lip nervously as I look at my phone again, checking for any updates from the rest.

As if it were cued, my phone suddenly rings with Do san's name on it.

"Hello?" I answer immediately.

"Mr Han," Do san says and sounds absolutely deflated and at a complete loss. "Come please. Can you come to the office please?" He says nervously.

I jump into action. I immediately grab my jacket and head to the door. With my phone pressed to my ear, I ask.

"Why? What happened? What did Alex say?" I ask.

"He... He dismissed Dal mi and Sa ha."

Do san's POV

"This is fraud, you said you'd take the whole team!" I argue with Alex, feeling confusion and frustration burst in my body like a grenade.

"But the contract doesn't say that." Alex says almost mockingly.

I slam the table angrily. Chul san and Yong san stand behind me, looking at a loss. While Sa ha and Dal mi sit down, looking absolutely defeated and betrayed. Within just a few hours, we fell from the highest mountain top to the deepest valley. In a blink of an eye, everything that we've worked for has been destroyed by one signature.

At this moment, Mr Han bursts into the room. His eyes fall on Alex and anger seems to burn through his eyes like laser beams.

"Oh, look. It's your heavenly angel." Alex says as he sees Mr Han. "Mr Han, are you here to save them?" Alex asks, standing up to face Mr Han. Mr Han's face twitches with anger. He breathes heavily before answering Alex.

"If I were you, I think I'd be quite foolish to dismiss Ms Seo and Ms Jung. They are the core of Noon Gil after all." Mr Han says, trying to compose his tone.

"Ah, Noon gil..." Alex laughs and rubs his chin. "Noon gil doesn't need any more updates. No more work needs to be done." He shrugs.

"You're not going to continue Noon gil... are you?" Dal mi says with a strained voice.

Alex simply shrugs.

My entire body seems to be trembling with anger. Betrayal seizes my chest and strangles it aggressively.

"Oh dear. I've tried talking to headquarters." Alex says in an irritatingly nonchalant voice. "There's nothing I can do." Alex says tauntingly.

"What?" I spit the word out. "But..." The voice rings heavily in my head like a piercing fire alarm. We need Noon gil. We need to continue working on Noon gil. We must.

"I don't care. We're cancelling the contract." I say firmly.

"Do you think it's that easy?" Alex laughs condescendingly. "Sure, you can cancel the contract, but you'll need to pay for termination of the contract."

"How much?" Dal mi asks.

"Twice of what was offered." Alex says. The words seem to shatter everything around us.

The next few moments shock me. For a second, I think the anger has shot up to my mind, causing me to hallucinate and imagine things.

Mr Han flares up in anger and grabs Alex by the collar. His fist trembles with anger and the muscles at his jaw flare up in rage as he clenches his teeth.

"Wow. Mr Han. I never knew you had this side." Alex says mockingly and his eyes burn with insult. "You should really let go of me. What will people think, knowing that the great Han Ji pyeong is a violent man." Alex licks his lips.

As I witness the scene before my eyes, every part of me wants to punch Alex squarely in the face as well. I clench my fists tightly and restrain myself with great difficulty.

"Shut up!" Mr Han exclaims.

"Ji pyeong ah..." Dal mi rushes forth and wraps her hand around Mr Han's hand. "Ji pyeong..." She coaxes, pleading with him. The anger in Mr Han's eyes melt slightly.

Alex throws his head back in laughter.

"Ah, I see what's going on." Alex laughs. "You two?" He shifts his eyes from Mr Han to Dal mi. "Aigoo, star crossed lovers. Mr Han, you should be thanking me. Now your girlfriend no longer needs to be shipped off to San Francisco." Alex says with a malicious glint in his eyes.

"Mr Han, you are being way too emotional." Alex says casually but his actions suggest otherwise as he wrenches Mr Han's hand away from his collar. He glares at Mr Han.

"I'll see the three of you in San Francisco." Alex says to the three of us before glaring once more at Mr Han and walking out of the office.