Chapter 31: My Safe Place

Ji pyeong's POV

"Ah, who is that?" I sigh as water runs down my head from the shower. The doorbell rings. I wipe the residual soap out of my eye as the doorbell continues to ring.

"Jeez I can't shower in peace." I sigh as I wrap a towel loosely around my lower body.

"Coming. Coming." I say as I make my way to the door.

"Dal mi?!" I exclaim in shock as I see her standing at the door. I'm suddenly aware of how naked I am, standing before her.

Dal mi gasps and covers her eyes as the worst possible thing happens.

I exclaim loudly in horror as the loosely wrapped towel falls to the floor.

~

"You can open your eyes now." I say as I inch out to the living room, where Dal mi is. I made sure I was fully clothed this time.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were in the shower." Dal mi says shyly and I laugh softly.

"I thought you'd be celebrating with your team tonight?" I ask. Dal mi doesn't say a word. She reaches out and touches my forehead.

"That's weird..." She says.

"Why?" I ask.

"Dong cheon said you were on sick leave. But you don't look sick to me..." Dal mi says, puzzled.

"Ah, this Dong cheon...I'm going to kill him." I mutter under my breathe

"Ji pyeong," Dal mi asks me. "Are you feeling alright? Why weren't you at Demo Day today?" Her eyes search me.

I feel a heaviness weigh over my chest like a grey cloud.

"Dal mi ah," I start.
"Hmm?"

"Am I too harsh? Am I too critical when I give feedback?" I ask slowly. Dal mi pauses for a while and thinks.

"You asked me last time whether I wanted to hear facts or a future with hopes and dreams." Dal mi say. "I'd choose facts anytime."

"Why do you suddenly ask?" Dal mi says and moves closer to me.

I put my hands to my face, covering my face. There's a plethora of emotions that I can't understand... regret... denial... shame...

"Ji pyeong ah," Dal mi's tone softens when she realises that something is wrong. "What's wrong?" She asks, slowly drawing my hands away from my face.

Dal mi's POV

As I peel Ji Pyeong's hands away from his face, my heart shatters into a million pieces as I see his eyes puffy and red. He looks down with watery eyes.

"What's wrong, Ji Pyeong ah?" I ask more desperately now as I pull him closer to me.

"Dal mi..." His voice shakes. "I... I... killed someone." He says words that I can't believe.

"What? What do you mean?" I ask, horrified.

Ji pyeong breathes heavily.

"Someone killed himself... He committed suicide... because..." Ji pyeong can barely force out the words. "... because I told him his company would never succeed." Ji pyeong's voice cracks.

Ji pyeong's cheek rests against my shoulder and I hold him tightly as he shakes in my arms.

"It's not your fault." I say, feeling my own voice turn hoarse.

Each crack and cry in his voice is like a needle pricking my skin.

"It's not your fault." I comfort him. "You were just doing your job. You were just doing what they asked for. They asked you for your advice, they asked you for your opinion." I whisper.

I've always seen Ji pyeong as someone very calm and put together. He's like a rock, nothing could hit him, hurt him. But tonight, as I held him in my arms, I saw a new side of him. The part of him that can get hurt and injured. I try desperately to stand in between this soft side of him and all the harsh accusations that come hurtling at him like spears.

The grey clouds start to clear and a heavy sense of fatigue hovers over Ji pyeong. I watch him fall into a restless sleep on the couch. There's a hint of a frown in his forehead even as he sleeps tonight.

I sit on the floor, by the side the couch, stroking his hair and waking up every time he makes the slightest sound.

Eventually, his chest rises and falls at a steady state, telling me that he sleeps more peacefully.

I cover him with a blanket.

Lying on the floor, I look up at him.

I watch him sleep that night until weariness pulls me into unconsciousness.