Chapter 18: Pine Nut Kalguksu

Ji Pyeong's POV

"Silicon Valley is known for its 'Pay-It-Forward' culture. As a successful entrepreneur, I'd like to put the 'Pay-It-Forward' spirit into action today. This year, Morning Group's CSR funding goes to Noon Gil by Samsan Tech." The broadcast from the main auditorium can be heard in the Sandbox lobby. I smile as I hear the success of Samsan Tech. No one wants Samsan Tech to flourish more than I do.

I head over to the wall where the participants have posted their motivations for having a start up. A small part of me wants to find Dal mi's one.

Images of her keep fluttering in my mind. My chest expands when she's around. I'm conscious of her the way a compass needle is. My eyes are always drawn to her, as if she had a magnetic pull on me.

But I also know that I need to shake these feelings off.

"Ji Pyeong! Ji pyeong!" Her voice rings behind me and she runs up to me excitedly.

"Did you hear? Did you hear?" She jumps up and down in front of me. I smile brightly at her.

"Yes, I heard about Morning Group's funding for Noon Gil. Good job!" I say.

Dal mi wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly.

"Thank you. Thank you, Ji pyeong ah." She says. I'm taken aback at her hug but gladly return it.

I will my heart to stop pounding against my chest. I feel dizzy with thoughts of her.

"Thank you Ji pyeon." Dal mi says again.

"All the credit goes to Samsan Tech and their CEO." I smile. "I didn't do much."

"No," Dal mi draws away from the hug. "You. You were the one who told me to record the meeting." She says and shows me her phone. She presses play and I hear the recording of Chairman Won taunting them with a pathetic offer.

"Because of you, because of your advice, I have this leverage over Chairman Won." Dal mi says. Her eyes spring with tears of joy.

"Are you crying?" I smile with amusement. I resist the urge to brush the tears away from her cheek.

"Of course." She says as more tears spring from her eyes. "Of course. I'm so happy." Dal mi says.

"I'm glad." I smile at her.
"Come on, I have something for you." She beckons me to follow her.

"Jiang!" Dal mi says happily as she draws out a styrofoam box beside her office table.

"What is this?" I ask.

"Pine nut kalguksu!" Dal mi claps her hands together happily. "It's to thank you for everything you've done. I'm really very grateful." Dal mi says.

She inches closer and whispers. "I'm also very thankful and sorry about your car..." She says, referring to the night that she puked all over me and the car.

"I don't think this is enough to make up for it." I laugh, gesturing to the Pine nut kalguksu. "It should be at least a hundred servings of this, don't you think?"

Dal mi makes an exasperated face at me.

"I'm sorry." She says quietly. "Here, I even wrote down the instructions for you." She points to a post-it with neatly written words.

"Thank you." I say.

"Ding Dong!" Cheon ho's voice springs into the office before Dal mi can reply. "Hello Samsan Tech! I've heard about your wonderful news!" He smiles. "I thought, I would come, heh, you know, celebrate. After all, this is all happening because of my wonderful marketing. Don't you think so?" He grins.

Sa ha rolls her eyes at him.
"Well, then I better go off." I say to Dal mi as Do san, Yong san and Chul san walk into the office.

"Oh, Mr han! Hello!" Yong san and Chun san greet me. Do san's eyes shift to the box in my hands.