Chapter 12: 97%

Dal mi's POV

"CEO Seo, good morning!" Chul san says with the brightest smile on his face as I walk into the office.

"Wah, you're in a good mood today." I laugh. Chul san looks at himself happily.

"Did something good happen yesterday?" I ask.

"The best of the best happened!" Chul san exclaims. He gets up and does a happy dance.

"Did you get the facial recognition to work?" I hazard a guess excitedly.

"I mean apart from that." Chul san says.

"What do you mean apart from that? You mean you really got it to work?" I exclaim in excitement.

"Last night," Yong san comes over to my desk. "The most bizarre thing happened." He explains. "The three of us were up all night trying to complete the coding, whenever suddenly Sa ha come in with food for all of us." Yong san explains and glances over to Chul san who is beaming from ear to ear.

"Do you remember what she said to me when she handed me that kimbap? 'Eat up'!" Chul san says and hugs what looks like a kimbap wrapper. "I'm never throwing this away." He says and looks like he's about to kiss the kimbap wrapper.

"But the facial recognition for Noon Gil? How did that go?" I ask.

"We got 97% accuracy." Do san says as he steps into the office. The joyous atmosphere in the office is suddenly sucked out as Do san and I look at each other awkwardly. Chul san and Yong san withdraw to their seats, like a hermit crab running back into its shell.

"Good morning, Do san." I greet.

"Good morning." He says.

I walk towards Do san so that I can speak softly without Chul san and Yong san overhearing us.
"Do san ah, I need to talk to you." I say. He nods.

"Let's go to the rooftop." He says.

~

The sky is overcast by clouds, blocking out the sun. The colours are less vibrant. They're more muted tones.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Do san asks. His voice sounds strange.
"Mmm, yes." I rub my hands together nervously. "Do san, I've been thinking about this for a long time already." I press my lips together. "You gave me so much comfort fifteen years ago in your letters and I'm grateful for that. I really am. And I was so excited to meet you in real life and start this company with you. But, sometimes, I think... if we really are to start a company together... it needs to be stable. It needs to be built on a strong foundation. And sometimes, if our relationship is..." I can't find the right word to describe our relationship.

Unstable?

"When our relationship... erm, makes it awkward for the others in the office..." I continue. "Do san," I stop beating around the bush. "I'm so sorry but,"

"You want to break up." Do san finishes my sentence for me.

"Oh?" I look up at him, shocked.

"It's okay. It's really okay." Do san forces a smile at me. "I also agree with you. If we are going to be CEO and CTO... if we are going to run this company together, it would be dangerous for our personal feelings to be involved." Do san.

I want to cry. Cry tears of relief. Tears of relief that Do san understands me and is on the same page. I've been carrying around this huge burden of guilt with me. Each time my heart doesn't flutter or lean towards Do san, I feel the crushing weight of guilt.

And now, this crashing burden has been lifted out of my hands

"Thank you." I say softly. Do san smiles softly at me.
"Friends?" He asks and extends a hand to me.
"Friends." I say and shake his hand.

~

"But Dal mi," Do san says when we step out of the lift to head back to the office. "You know, your heart still longs for someone right?" He says.

"What?" I ask.

"Search your heart. There's someone you're looking for." Do san says and heads back to the office.

I'm about to call Do san to ask him what he means when my phone rings.

"Mr Han?" I answer the call. I hear Ji pyeong laugh over the phone.

"I thought you were going to call me Ji pyeong?" Ji pyeong says.

"Oh! Sorry, I just thought I should be formal at the workplace." I apologise.

"It's okay, don't worry." Ji pyeong reassures me. "Anyway, I'm downstairs in the Sandbox lobby. I've added some of my comments to your Noon Gil proposal."