Chapter 15: Along the Midnight Road

Ji Pyeong's POV

It's not hard to spot Dal mi and Do san. I just have to look for a very embarrassed-looking guy and girl who dances drunkenly along the streets.

"Oh my gosh..." I exclaim as the strong smell of alcohol slaps me in the face.

"Oh! Ji pyeong ah!" Dal mi says excitedly as she waves at me. "HELLO!" She yells.

"Yes, hello." I say, trying to help Do san stuff Dal mi into the back of the car.

"Are we going to have more beer? I LOVE BEER AND CHICKEN! BEER AND CHICKEN!" Dal mi exclaims and the people around us stare at us.

Do san and I look at each other and stuff Dal mi into the car with all our might.
"She's as heavy as a sack of rice." I sigh. Do san is breathless as well.

In the car, Dal mi sings in loud, jarring, off tune notes.

"Do you want some... for your ears?" I ask Do san as I hand him tissue for him to stuff into his ears. Do san takes them gratefully.

"WHEEEE! I'M FLYING!" Dal mi says like a loud hailer. She winds down the window and starts making 'Wooooo' sounds.

"Can you wind up the window... please..." I ask Do san. He gingerly pulls Dal mi from the window but her hands claw onto the sides of the seat and she refuses to budge.
"WOOOOOO!" Dal mi continues to scream.

"Do you think they'll pull us over for noise pollution?" I look at Do san nervously.

Dal mi suddenly becomes quiet.

"Why? Why is she suddenly quiet?" I ask nervously, constantly shifting my eyes between the traffic on the road and the drunk girl seated behind.

"Bleh..." Dal mi head falls forward as she pukes all over.

The stench makes me want to cry. Do san and I both wear the same look of horror.
"Ah... my car..." I want to cry.

Halmeoni's POV

The doorbell rings.
"Dal mi?" I call out, making my way to the door.

"HALMEONI!" Dal mi's drunken voice rings through the door.

"Oh my gosh..." I gasp, scared to see the sight before me.

My eyes almost drop out of their orbits when I see not just Do san, but Good Boy holding a very drunk Dal mi.

"Oh my gosh!" I gasp in shame and shock. "Dal mi!" I exclaim. "Oh gosh, she stinks." I hold my nose as the stench of vomit and alcohol slap me in the face.
"Did you drive her here?" I ask Good Boy. He nods at me silently. He looks absolutely defeated.

I'm going to kill my crazy granddaughter.

"This way." I usher them to the room quickly.

"Thank you for sending her home." I say, bowing to Do san and Good Boy.

"It was Ji pyeong who drove us here." Do san says.

"Don't tell me Dal mi puked all over your car." I cover my mouth in shock. Do san nods on Good Boy's behalf.

"She puked on Ji pyeong too..." Do san adds. It's only then do I notice the wet stain on Good Boy's shirt.

"Ah! That crazy girl!" I exclaim. "Wait here," I tell Good Boy and hurry off to the room.

"Here, change into this." I say as I hold up a t-shirt to Good Boy.

Do san bursts into laughter as he sees the pink dooley and gildong t-shirt.

"I think it'll really bring out your eyes, Ji pyeong." Do san laughs. Good Boy nods and hurries off to the washroom.

"Poor Good Boy..." I say apologetically. "Was Dal mi a big handful tonight? Good Boy looks traumatised." I ask Do san.

"It was an absolute nightmare." Do san says and smiles nervously.

Good Boy steps out of the washroom in the pink t-shirt.

"It fits you perfectly." I smile at Good Boy as Do san falls back in laughter.

~

"Ow... my head hurts so bad..." Dal mi says as she steps out of her room. I switch off the stove where I make the hangover soup for her.

I'm going to kill her.

"Halmeoni, do we have any hangover medicine? My head is killing me." Dal mi groans. "Oh! Is that hangover soup?" She says excitedly and skips over to the stove.
"You still have the guts to eat?" I yell and whack her.

"Ah! Halmeoni! That hurts!" Dal mi says and rubs her shoulder.

""Do you have any idea how you got back yesterday?" I ask. Dal mi pauses and I can see the gears move slowly in that head of hers.

"Don't tell me..." Dal mi says. "Halmeoni! Did you drag me all the way home?" Dal mi asks with wide eyes of shock. I whack her again.
"Ah! Halmeoni!" Dal mi yelps.

"You puked all over the poor Good Boy and his car!" I yell.

"What? Good Boy?" Dal mi asks and I realise she still had no idea about the past I share with Good Boy.

"Ah, I mean... Han Ji Pyeong. Mr Han." I correct myself.

"WHAT? JI PYEONG?" I gasp. I puked all over his car and him? "Oh my, oh my... oh my!" Dal mi panics. "But how did Ji pyeong know where I was yesterday? I was with Samsan Tech yesterday..." Dal mi says.

"Beats me. But Do san was there also. He and Good B- I mean, Han Ji Pyeong sent you back." I add.

"Ah... maybe Do san contacted Ji pyeong..." Dal mi says thoughtfully. "But oh my..." She starts panicking again. "I puked all over Ji pyeong and his car... what do I do..." Dal mi groans and slaps her face.

"Slap yourself harder." I say. Dal mi glares at me.

"Here." I say as I take out a lunchbox. "Give this to Good B- I mean, Han Ji Pyeong today as an apology." I say.

"Wah... this is good stuff." Dal mi says as she sneaks her face into the food.

"Aish! No food for you." I slap her hand.

"Ah Halmeoni that hurts!" Dal mi says childishly. "Halmeoni," Dal mi starts.

"Oh?" I ask.

"Can we... take a trip to the beach together today?" Dal mi asks.

"Why would you want to go to the beach with an old lady? Go with your boyfriend instead." I tell Dal mi. Dal mi stays silent and she presses her lips together.

"Why?" I ask, sensing that something is off.

"It's nothing." Dal mi says. "I don't have a boyfriend anymore. Do san and I broke up." Dal mi says.

"What?" I exclaim.
"Ah, Halmeoni. Don't scream like that. Faster, change into your outdoor clothes. I'll tell you more when we're at the beach. This is not a good atmosphere to talk about it." Dal mi says and ushers me to my room to change.

Ji Pyeong's POV

"Oh gosh... I still smell so bad..." I sigh as I step out of the shower.

I spent the whole night cleaning my car. Just the thought of it makes me want to cry.

My phone beeps.

"Good Boy, Dal mi was too embarrassed to text you. There's a lunchbox on your door. Eat up." The message from Halmeoni reads.