chapter thirty nine

Alaina

"Mrs. Coldwell," the woman who introduced herself as Clarice, greeted me with the widest and most tooth shown smile. I truly believed hers was the fakest. "It's nice to finally meet you."

No one that says that means it, or at least no one here did.

"We've heard so much about you," another woman, Melanie, said. She stood beside Clarice. Three other women, including myself, had formed a circle.

Melanie was light skinned. She spoke perfect English and for a moment I thought that was the only language she spoke before a slight hint of an accent came through. The more I thought about it, the more she seemed Spanish.

She wore a red skintight strapless dress that reached her ankles. Her makeup consisted of a simple black wing, dark lashes, a light hint of dark pink blush, highlighter, contour, and a bright red lipstick matched her dress. She was pale in comparison to the stereotype light skinned Latino, but had beautiful features. High cheekbones, plump lips, nicely shaped full brows, and long lashes. Her brown hair was tucked behind her ears and flowed down her back in loose curls, reaching her hips. The satin dress was paired with gold hoops, a small cross chain, and heels. Even her wedding band matched the rest of her jewelry.

I wondered whether she chose her own ring or her husband was somewhat considerate when he chose it for her. Despite the type of marriage I'm in, I hoped not every woman in this type of life suffered the same fate as I.

But that was likely how they lived their lives.

"I thought we wouldn't be able to meet you," Tina spoke. "At least until after you gave birth."

Tina had carob colored skin. Her edges were nicely laid against her temple while the rest of her afro was tied into a low ponytail. Just like Melanie and the rest of the women in our small circle, they were on the skinnier side. However, Melanie and Tina had more pronounced curves. Her dress wasn't as tight as Melanie's, but it was just as long and vibrant. Yellow suited her dark complexion and the silk dress style showcased her figure. It had thin straps, a small v cut between her breasts and a tear that began above her knee which showcased her lower leg. She paired the dress with nude heels, pearl earrings, and a pearl necklace. She wore several silver rings, her wedding band being the first to be noticed due to how big the diamond was. She wore gloss, lashes, yellow eyeliner, and highlighter.

How long have they been married to their husbands? I expected that to be one the first things they'd talk about. They did introduce themselves and had shown me their husbands, but we mostly spoke about me. My pregnancy, marriage with Louis, and many things I either avoided answering or twisted my answer to how Louis wanted me to answer.

"But you're here now and you've met us," Clarice said. "I hope that you'll continue to be able to join us whenever the event rises."

Clarice was dressed in puff arm white that reached mid thigh. Her straight blonde hair was patted down the center and ran down to her waist. She also had white high heels, a pearl necklace and earrings, and her silver diamond ring. She had nude lips, brown smokey eyes, long black lashes, peach blush, and contour.

I raised the corners of my lips. "I hope so too."

Since the moment I stepped through the threshold, I have been separated from Louis. I haven't seen him at all since. I didn't mean that as a bad thing. I had Louis' men watching me should anything happen, but I didn't know what these people were truly like. Anything could happen. I was greeted with smiles, but what mask did they wear to hide their true self and intentions?

While the two other women, Fiona and Rose, in our circle led the next conversation, I noticed Clarice wasn't paying much attention. Her eyes strayed away to someone every so often. I didn't turn to look, not wanting to draw attention to myself. She was most likely staring at her husband. It would be a scandal if she wasn't.