chapter seventeen

I sat on one of the tables in the maze. Markus stood between my legs, my ankles locked behind him. I had one hand buried in his brown curls while the other sat over his covered collarbone.

Our lips moved in sync whenever our tongues weren't mingling. I felt like a pyromaniac against Markus' burning touch. I was addicted to it, wanting to set it on.

His hands were currently gripping onto my waist. His right traveled to the back of my knee. With both, he pulled me to the edge of the table, bringing my body completely against his.

After a few more seconds, we parted.

His pupils dilated when he opened his eyes. Our breaths were ragged as we caught for air.

"I guess kissing you is one way to keep you from running away," he said as he ran his thumb over my lower lip.

"You like the chase." I let out a small laugh as I felt the corner of my lip curl up. Markus neither agreed nor disagreed. I took that as his way of agreeing without admitting I was right.

My eyes gazed down his body as he fixed his suit. Markus had a few exposed tattoos. A rose that covered most of his sternum and reached just between his collarbones. Underneath them were intertwined branches covered in thorns. His left hand had a black bird with its wings tucked straight on its back. He also had a small snake on his left pointer finger, a cross on his ring finger, and the faded skeletons of his thumb and pinky that reached his knuckles. He had a big gold ring with a round maroon-black colored jewel on his pinky. His right hand had the face of a roaring lion while each finger had a letter that spelled the word 'power'.

I knew he had more tattoos underneath. I had asked him what his others were but his response was that I'd have to see them myself if I wanted to know. I wanted to, but didn't risk it.

Markus fixed his shirt, buttoning the first three I had let loose during the start of our make-out session and making sure his collar was down all around. He then button his suit jacket.

"Where are you from?" I asked. He had a faint accent but couldn't distinguish from where.

"California," he answered. That's a long way from here in New York. Why was he here? Especially working for the mafia.

"I noticed you have an accent. Are you fully American?"

He shook his head. "My mother was Cuban."

Was? I frowned as the corners of my lips feel.

Before I could ask him anything else, he brought a hand to the back of my neck and pulled me forward. He brought his lips on to mine and wasted no time in plunging his tongue. The burning that came with his touch returned.

I understood that he didn't want me to ask him anymore personal questions, or at least none that related to his family. However, it didn't worry me any less. More questions filled my mind. What happened to her? Was she really dead or did he consider her dead? Was she part of the reason of why he's here?

I pushed those thoughts away when I felt him pull against my hair. I let out a groan and tightened the hold of my arms around his neck.

Markus leaned in for a peck before we fully parted.

"You should get back," he said. "You need your rest for tomorrow."

Tomorrow...

Tomorrow would be the wedding.

I slowly nodded and didn't say anything. The thought of tomorrow's events ruined my mood. A shiver ran down my spine. Would things remain how they are now? With Louis and I not seeing each other. What happens once the baby is born? Would they get rid of me? They're wouldn't right?

I thought of what the baby would become if raised here. From what I knew, Louis hated it and wanted nothing to do with it — much less the marriage and me. Who would end up raising it if something were to happen to me? His parents? Annabeth?

No. I would be there. I won't let them hurt you.

Markus and I made our way out of the maze. Neither of us exchanged any words but I felt his gaze as I walked ahead of him.

I slowly stepped into my room. For the past two days, this was how things were. I'd leave to the maze were Markus would always find me. We'd spend a few hours there until Markus thought it was time for me to head back. I turned to close the door, but stopped to look at Markus who was still staring at me.

The silence remained, but there was something about his gaze. He was staring at me but he was thinking of something else.

A frown made its way to his face before he turned and left. I closed the door and went to bed. I laid there, hearing a set of footsteps reach my door and stop. It was the new guard. I had noticed that there were three switches. This was currently the second guard.

What was Markus thinking? I asked myself. Was reality setting in? I wouldn't be surprised if he values his life. I had only met him less than a month ago. Maybe it was a fling.

I didn't have feelings for him that I would say I wanted a relationship with him but he grew on me. His closeness didn't bother me. It was his job and in a way, it was fun having him chase after me. I enjoyed his touch, the attention he gave me, and the thought of being wanted. I felt safe.

But even then, there were doubts.

There was no way for a healthy relationship to survive in a lifestyle like this. Too many lies, secrets, and too much danger. It would never happen.

____

What was Markus thinking?

I would love to use your names for future characters and books. Leave a comment here of your name and, if you want, where you're from.

Please vote, comment, and share.

Thank you for readings! ❤️