Chapter 6- Part 1

I jerked awake with a start. Searing pain lanced my eyes and nose. The ringing in my ears was intense and made my temples pulse with a headache.

Even though the pain in my eyes, temples, and mouth was all I could focus on, I knew something was happening. I barely registered flipping onto my stomach and pushing myself up onto my hands and knees.

The vomit came up before I could stop it. The blinding light behind my eyes started to dull and I tried opening my eyes, but I barely got them open before I immediately closed them again. The bile seared my throat and splattered on the ground beneath me.

The screaming slowly filtered in as the ringing in my ears started to dull. It felt like I was in a thick fog. After rapidly blinking, I finally fully opened my eyes and squinted at my surroundings. About five feet in front of me Tim was on the ground. Somebody was standing practically on top of him. Those are some big ass boots.

My eyes ventured up as I took in the person standing over Tim. The legs were massive. My eyes kept travelling up, up, and up the red pants until I reached its waist. The gray skin I saw caused my blood to turn cold. It took me a moment to register what I was really seeing, but after a few seconds I finally was able to understand what was right in front me. That's not a human.

I didn't have to see its face to know. The legs were just too big. The gray skin was a dead giveaway. I was staring at a Leften.

A slight gleam appeared next to the leg I was staring at. I flinched as I watched the reflective gleam of a futuristic weapon I had never seen before slice clean through Tim's neck. Blood sprayed all over the red pants of the Leften and Tim's head rolled a few feet away from him.

A louder scream pierced the night. I didn't realize it was me screaming until the Leften turned toward me and his red pupils clashed with mine. My throat closed off and at the same time my screams stopped, but I was still screaming in my head.

The Leften and I stared at each other for what felt like forever, but was actually only a few seconds. He took a step towards me and the shock seemed to finally wear off then because I lurched to my feet and took off without a second thought.

I didn't even register John dead on the ground as I flew over his body. I didn't register a Leften holding Amber up by her hair with a smile at her expense. I just ran as fast I could with tears streaming down my cheeks. The screaming became background noise and all I could hear was my breaths coming in and out with short pants.

I knew it was pointless. The rational part of me looking in from the outside knew I couldn't outrun a Leften. However, instinct drove me. I was the prey. If the Leften caught me I was going to die. I needed to run.

My feet pounded beneath me. The force of my legs caused my teeth to clash against my tongue. I was terrified.

I made it about ten steps before searing pain danced across my calf. I face planted into the ground with a loud cry. I barely had time to push up with my hand before a hand gripped my hair and yanked. A ragged scream left me as I dangled in the air like a rag doll by the roots of my hair. My leg felt like it was on fire and more tears came as I felt my hot blood running down my leg.

Whoever had a hold of me was behind me. I didn't need to see them to know who it was. I kicked a thick thigh with my good leg as I was slammed into his chest and a corded arm came around my middle. My neck was bent backward against a massive shoulder and a deep growl rumbled against my back.

I brought my hands up and clawed as hard as I could against a broad chin and neck. An even fiercer growl rumbled against me and the hand holding my middle released me before wrapping around my neck and squeezing.

I sputtered and clawed against the hand around my neck. I tried to get a breath in, but it was useless. I scratched and kicked until I couldn't anymore. My limbs slowly went limp as my head swam. I tried one more time to kick him but my leg just grazed him. Black spots danced in my vision and then the world went black. 

A/N- I plan on uploading part 2 for this chapter by Thursday evening. This book is getting more views the more I update, so with that being said I will start posting on my profile to let everybody know at least a couple days in advance about when I'm updating. I will post a double update (2 full chapters) when this story reaches 100 votes. 

 Don't forget to vote if you're enjoying the book so far and thank you to everybody that has been voting, commenting, and adding my story to their reading list! It means so much to me and honestly brings a goofy smile to my face every time I see a comment or vote.

T.N. Jewell