Chapter 21 - Truth

On top of a hill surrounded by teal green mountains and a river, currently, a few kilometers from their objective and from the higher position on a small lookout post that was constructed by the Khaos Brigade to scout the area in the distance, the Nightmare Duo, Vali Team and Dark Team were preparing themselves to journey into the Land of Darkness. 

"See the Evernight Castle? To the east." While the rest was down in the camp, Ciel, Akira, and Vali were on the tower, each holding telescopes to scout the areas that were more occupied by the Grimm. Following Akira's direction, Ciel turned his telescope to the east and zoomed in, nodding with an "uh-huh" when he saw a tall castle that seemed to be built out of rock and purple crystal. 

On the left, Vali saw a dozen Grimm feasting on what looked like to be the corpses of the expedition that was sent a few hours before the Nightmare Duo had arrived, even the bones weren't being left behind

On the left, Vali saw a dozen Grimm feasting on what looked like to be the corpses of the expedition that was sent a few hours before the Nightmare Duo had arrived, even the bones weren't being left behind. "Those guys never stood a chance."

Closing his telescope, Ciel placed it on the box that was close to a table, having an unfinished map from the Land of Darkness with bloodstains in it, the boy crossed his arms and rested them on the parapet, gazing at how the environment was changing from the blue sky to dark red and the dark teal green plains becoming rocky terrains. 

"Nervous, Steampunk? Aren't you and Nightmare immortal as well?" Vali asked with a hint of amusement, now resting his left elbow against the parapet and Ciel gave him the middle finger, earning a chuckle from Vali and Akira. "Go fuck yourself, you prick. And to clarify, we can expand our lifespan but we can still be killed. Still, I want to see if you can keep that cocky face once we step in there."

"Look at this. We're probably having our last chat right now and we're laughing." The three males let out a small laugh before silence came for a few seconds and Ciel decided to ask something regarding the witch. "Aside from immortality, what can this witch do?"

"I'm sure you noticed that everyone who uses magic needs a magic circle to do it." Ciel nodded and Akira continued his explanation. "However, she can use magic without needing one and it's more ancient. She can also do much more, like summon the Grimm when she wants to."

"You said ancient? How so?"

"She might be from a forgotten past since there's no records or anything related to her. Might even be older than humanity and the supernatural."

"That would complicate things." Ciel said as they were basically walking into the dark without any form of exit, the black-haired boy blowing a few strands of hair from his eyes as his hair was growing longer and cracked his right index finger. "Seriously, those devils must be really stupid to do something like attack that castle."

"In that, you aren't wrong." Vali agreed with Ciel on that part, already accustomed to how the old faction tries to bring his team down by saying they're superior to anything and the threats. "Their immense arrogance makes them believe they're superior to everything just because they are descendants of the original Satans and with the snakes Ophis gave them, they want world domination to create their definition of a new world."