Chapter Twenty-Four

Jay's POV

We slowly circled the area, watching as men went in and out of this warehouse. "Boss, we're ready." A voice crackles into the comm. I nod, looking over at Dagger and Ryker as they await my command.

"Let's go." I nod, we move out slowly. Sniping everyone who was outside quietly. We head inside, shooting up the first area but he was nowhere to be found. Well, I knew where he was. He was in his office.

I take ten men with me as I head up the stairs, throwing open his office doors. As I had memorized the entire floorplan and layout of this place for days. He stood up quickly, looking at me fearfully. I had him cornered, unless he wanted to jump out of the third story window.

Smirking, I levelled my gun at his chest. His green eyes stared at me, filled with the fiery anger I knew when he shot me. "You came after my girl. That's unacceptable." I sighed, shooting him in the head. He died a quick and painless death, so I didn't care.

I glanced at the men, looking at them with boredom. "Burn it down. I want to go home." I order, walking out of the warehouse. Within just a few minutes, the place was burning to the ground. I got into my car, taking my phone out. It was the day for prom, maybe I should go and surprise her. Beg for forgiveness. Explain.

With high hopes, I drove to the city and picked up a tux for the prom. I didn't know what color she was wearing, so I just had a black tie. Quickly getting ready, I race to her school and park out front.

They had the place decked out, lights flashing and music blaring. I step out of my car, ignoring my men form my gang gawking at me with anger in their eyes. They rush forward, pushing me back.

"You hurt her, Boss. And I promised you I'd keep her from harm. All you're going to do when you walk in there is hurt her more." Alan said in hushed tones, I shake my head.

"You don't get it. I did what I did to protect her. The threat is gone now, and I'm going to beg for her back!" I exclaim, he shakes his head at me.

"As a friend, I highly advise you don't go in there. She's not ready to see you and she never will. She burned your things to the ground! All your office shit and she destroyed your room. She hates you. She even got into the gang a couple months ago." He informs me, I close my eyes as I try to hide my anger.

"You. Let. Her in." I spit through my teeth, he raises his head.

"I did. She asked for it, and at first, I said no, but she demanded to be let in and so I let her. She's raced for us, and she gets lots of money from a lot of people. All the gangs want to race her, and they try to beat her, but she always wins." Alan responds, I sigh and look up at the sparkling night sky.

"Whatever. It's her choice, but she can stop taking assignments if she wants." I sigh, shoving past them and walking towards the school. As I walk in, people turn to glance at me. I stalk through the crowd, looking for my Dawn.

Soon, I found her in a corner with Elliot and Elijah and Caelian by her with Silver at her feet. She was gorgeous. Her hair was curled, makeup perfect, and she was wearing a red dress that pooled at her feet. I walked forward, my face softening for the first time in months. Her smile lit up the room and her laugh seemed to cut through the loud music to reach my ears.

She caught sight of me, her smile and laughter disappearing. She whispers something to her guards, and they stand in front of her. I see a couple of her friends walk towards her, and they follow her eyesight to me as I slowly come to a stop in front of them.

"What the hell do you want?" I think her name is Ava yelled at me, I look down at her petite form. I glance up when I see arms wrap around her waist, pulling her back. She's Caelian's girl. Fuck.

"I'm here for Dawn. Caelian, he's gone. Everything is safe." I try to speak discreetly. Elijah launches forward, punching me hard in the face. I feel my nose break, wincing as I stumble back.

"I deserve that. But if you'd only let me explain. Dawn, you were in danger. That guy, when he tried to shoot you, I had to jump in front of the bullet. But then I got to thinking, he wanted to kill you. I had to protect you." I begin to explain, Dawn shoves past her guards and stands close to me. I relax at her presence, but I knew it wasn't going to be that easy.

She pushes me will all her strength, punching me in my chest. I stood there, taking it all.

"You left me! I cried for months, Jay. Months! And now you want to come back!" She cries, I gently take her wrists as my face softens into a sad smile.

"Dawn, Love, I lied when I left. Of course, I love you. I will always love you. Why do you think I'd ever leave you? I thought you'd put up more of a fight when I left, but you didn't. Dawn, I had to find that guy and the only way he'd get off your back was if he thought I never loved you. Then, he'll try to find someone else who's death would hurt me." I explain, she rips herself away from me.

"Don't call me that. I don't ever want to see you around me again." She hisses, I reach forward but she takes a step back.

"Dawn please." I beg, she shakes her head as tears gathered in her eyes.

"Jayden, I spent months wondering what I did wrong. Was I not pretty enough? Skinny enough? Did I have too much trauma? Too much scars? What could I do to change myself for you to come back and want me? I cried myself to sleep every night. I starved myself. I hated myself just because you left. I don't want someone who could do that to a person." She whispers with sadness and anger. Heartbreak and some kind of closure in her eyes.

"Dawn, I love you. I'll get down on my knees and beg if I have to for your forgiveness." I pleaded, she shakes her head.

"Forgiveness is earned, not given." She whispers, turning and walking away.