Chapter Twenty-One

Dawn's POV

I pull into the busy road that's blocked off for this. I park, getting out. I catch people's attention, everyone knew we broke up in this world, so I'm sure they thought I would have fully left it. This world, I mean.

I smirk, glancing down at my outfit that made me blend in perfectly. I looked like I fit in. I wore black leggings, ankle boots, and a leather jacket that Jay had in his room. His gang's one. Apparently, you're supposed to wear it when you represent the gang.

My hair was done and so was makeup, I stood proud and tall as I lean against the hood. That's when I begin to get a facetime call from my brother. He was at home and probably wondering why I haven't come home yet. I ignore the call, sliding my phone into my back pocket as I look down at the sleek, black car. I knew how to race, and I couldn't wait to feel the thrill.

"Lady! What gang?" A young woman calls, looking me up and down judgingly.

"Westside!" I shout back, people around me laugh.

"Yeah right! The Boss wouldn't send some little girl like you here!" They snort, all exclaiming different things about me most likely dying and losing. I stand, stalking to the nearest person with a leather jacket. Southside. I scoff at the name.

"Let me guess, Caleb sent you to race? How much money is he willing to bet on you?" I ask, smirking. The guy looks me over.

"Ten grand." He replies, gawking when I smirk and nod.

"Fine with me. Just tell Caleb that I hope he rots in Hell when you go back and tell him you lost." I laugh as Alan goes to give the money to the person who watches over the money and deals.

"Who says I'm not watching, Little One?" A familiar voice chuckles from behind me, warm hands set on my shoulders. I turn around, punching him hard in the face. He stumbles back, blue eyes flashing in the darkness as he cradles his broken nose.

"Really, Dawn?" Caleb exclaims in exasperation.

"Caleb. You get in contact with Jayden recently?" I ask, he nods.

"Yep. Wants me to look for some rando on the street. Heard about the breakup. I'm sorry, kiddo. Don't worry, I didn't utter a word to your family. It's up to you when the innocents find out." He pats my shoulder; I flinch away and he sighs.

"I'm not my cousin. I don't take advantage of friend's younger cousins. Besides, I practically helped raise you. You're like my little sister!" He whispers, careful of prying ears. I look down, swallowing back any tears that tried to escape.

"I know. But you look so much a like! And I... can't handle it." I whisper the last part, clenching my jaw. "Can't wait to get an easy win." I smirk, sliding into the car and driving up to the line. I turned on my pep music, screaming the words loudly as the guy pulled up next to me.

A lady walks in between our cars, stopping in front of us. She raised a finger.

One. I revved my engine, preparing to launch forward as I adjust everyone once again. I make special notice of where everything was. I cracked my windows to get some fresh air.

Two. I pulled my hair back in a couple hair ties. Turning my phone off, I readjust my grip on the wheel. I eye the guy, glaring at him angrily as the crowd roared with shouted bets about who they think would win.

Three.

I shot forward, but I was being careful. He had to think he was winning until the last second. This race was going to be about twenty miles long, so I had time. I was going to use it. He on the other hand, gunned it right away. He was using unnecessary gas, already losing some speed. He pressed harder on the gas, leaping forward about a quarter mile ahead.