Chapter Eight

Jay's POV

I sat in the meeting room, listing to my new men arguing about who lost the money and who stole the shipments. I sit up, toying with my glass of scotch. "Now." I say easily, almost grinning at the fact that go silent the second I open my mouth.

"I want ten of you searching for the money. And another ten going over the last ten shipments and looks for any cameras that was near the approximate place where the shipment was lost. Another ten to go find people who knew about the shipment and were handling it to interrogate them. And finally, another ten to handle the civilians. Try and track the shipments down, but no killing innocents." I order, they nod.

"Yes, Boss." They agree with no further arguments. I tilt my head, leaning back in my chair as they wait for me to dismiss them.

"Good. Now get going." I nod towards the door, they all race to get out. I haven't been able to talk to Dawn in a few weeks, and I wish I could talk to her right now especially since I sent a few of my Mafia men to stay with her. I wonder how she's doing.

I could only send a text to warn her that some people were coming to meet her before I was pushed into another conference. I work with so many people and so many businesses and corporations, it's insane. I sigh as I stand, knowing I needed to get back to my dorm to finish up my schoolwork for business and stocks and shipping. All of those classes gave me tons of homework that's due in two days.

I hurry through the busy halls, trying to reach the front door to leave. "Boss! Boss! We have an emergency!" One of the younger ones call to me. He's only nineteen and trying to work into being one of our tech people. I turn with a sigh, crossing my arms as the small thing hurries in front of me.

"I think someone is hacking our system to gain insights on our shipments and clients because I've been noticing weird wavelengths in the algorithm recently and certain things end up missing, but I needed proof to bring it to you and here's the file." He rushes out, thrusting a large file into my hands. I pretend to know what it says, but I don't know my way into a computer at all.

"All right, bring it to my team who's working on finding the lost shipments and money. Tell them I sent you and that you are now officially one of the leaders of the group. You're in charge." I dismiss him, his eyes widen but he quickly scurries away with the file in hand. I shake my head with a sigh. I climb into my car, racing back to the dorm and staying up all night on finishing up most of my homework so than later this day it will be easier on me when I finish up the rest.

As the early morning light enters through the curtains, I lay on my bed and let my mind go blank. Sleep, here I come.

_______

I run through the hallways of my college, trying to turn in my assignment on time. I push past groups of people, slamming into another man who tries to punch me, before I finally skid into class. I toss my project onto her desk before racing up to my seat.

"Mr. Pierce. That is no way to enter this classroom. Stay behind after lecture." Mrs. Ross scolds, I nod.

"Yes, Ma'am." I sigh, leaning back tiredly with a yawn. She begins the lecture, but her voice is so soothing, and the topic is so boring. My eyes slowly close, and no matter how much I fight it, the exhaustion that was creeping over me won.

Someone slammed their hand beside my head. I jerked awake, standing quickly. I grab their hands, twisting them behind their back out of reflex. Gasps our heard around the room, making me realize that I'm still in the classroom. I drop Mrs. Ross's hands, taking a step back.

"I'm so sorry, Ma'am!" I exclaim apologetically. She rubs her wrists with a wince.

"Stay after class, Mr. Pierce. It seems we have a lot to talk about!" She says shrilly, the bell dismissing the rest of class. All the other students quickly walk out, seeming amused that I'm in trouble. She leads me down to her office, gesturing me inside and locking the door behind her. Her floral dress swims beneath her feet as she languidly sits down in her chair. The whole office was organized but filled with pictures of what appears to be her and her family.

"First off, you were late to class and barely turned in your assignment. Then, when I tried to wake you up because you fell asleep in my class, you attacked me! Any explanations?" She demands, cradling her wrists to her chest. I wince, looking down.

"I'm really sorry, Ma'am. I was late because I was up all night finishing up all my assignments from three different classes and I woke up this morning late but when I saw that I forgot something for the project I had to hurriedly finish it up, so then I ran to get to class but I ran into a few guys who tried to punch. And the only reason when you woke me up today in class and I grabbed her like that, is because my girlfriend was once kidnapped right in front of me as I got shot and ever since than I've always been on edge and I'm now even more protective of my girlfriend. She's literally sitting at home with ten guards right now." I rush out, she eyes me calculatedly.

"Fine. I'll let you off the hook for today, but one more mishap and I'll be having you help the janitors and cafeteria for a week!" She declares, I nod.

"Yes, Ma'am." I agree sadly, standing up and slinging my bag onto my shoulder. I reach the doorknob, slowly unlocking it.

"And Jayden?" She calls softly, I turn back to see her entire body has softened with empathy.

"Yes, Mrs. Ross?" I reply. She smiles softly.

"Tell your girlfriend she's welcome to join you in class anytime so she doesn't have to sit at home with ten guards. And tell her if needs anything, just ask. My daughter was kidnaped once, so I know the feeling of being on edge and feeling hopeless and overprotective. I just never got my daughter back." She says sadly, I give her a soft sad smile.

"I'm sorry for your loss. I'll tell her that she has a friend here, Mrs. Ross." I nod to her, before quietly leaving the room. My phone rings.

"Kieran, what do you want?" I sigh as I make my way to my dorm to take a quick nap before next class.

"I need you to look up someone for me. Emmie made a friend with a boy named John. I'll send you all the details I know in a text, but I want you to do a huge background check on him and his family." Kieran worries, I chuckle.

"Kieran it's fine. He's just a young boy who likes Emmie. I know you're probably suspicious over him because of everything, but you need to realize that they are just kids. Young love is adorable, don't ruin it for her. I'm sure this John dude is fine. Oh, and don't tell Dawn or Emmie, but I think I'm going to try and visit you guys next weekend." I reply, Kieran groans.

"Fine! And I won't." He sighs, sounding frustrated. I smirk, opening my dorm door.

"Emmie will be just fine. Dawn even sent me all the details of the boy because I know everyone in a gang around here and she just wanted to make sure. He's a normal boy in a normal family. He's fine." I assure him, Kieran sighs.

"Got it. Bye." He hangs up abruptly. I shake my head.

"Silly boy." I mutter, falling onto my bed with an exhausted yawn. A bit more sleep couldn't hurt. I have an hour until my next class.