Chapter Sixteen

Jay's POV

Dawn closed her eyes in acceptance beside me as he leveled his gun at her chest. But I wasn't going to let her go. She wasn't going to die on my watch. And I promised I wouldn't let her get hurt. I promised I'd take care of her. Just as he fired, I jumped in front of her.

Time seemed to slow down as I felt a piercing pain in the middle of my stomach. His lip curled in hate, eyes flashing just like they did when I killed his father. His greedy, horrible father months ago. I staggered back, falling to my knees as he disappeared in the crowd. I fell to my knees, clutching my stomach, but I still turned to look at my Love.

She was crying. Tears falling down her perfect face, falling to her knees beside me just as I hit the ground. She picked my head up, setting it into her warm lap. She was screaming and crying, yelling for help. People began to crowd as my blood slipped past my fingers and soaked the hard, cold ground.

"NO!" She screamed in agony as my eyes began to flutter. Her face became blurry, but I smiled through the pain nonetheless.

"I love you, Angel." I whisper, my voice not trembling the slightest.

"No, no, no, no! Don't close your eyes! Damnit, Jayden! Jayden, you can't die! You can't! We have plans! You promised me you'd never leave! Don't leave me. We haven't gotten married or... or had kids! We've barely been on a proper date, Jay." Her voice turns to a whisper as men of my own race towards me. A security detail I wasn't able to shake off.

"Damnit, Jay. I love you! You can't leave me. Not yet." Her voice croaks as the last thing I see and hear is her. The words echoing in my heard are none other then I love you.

Darkness clouds over my eyes.

...

I come to in the hospital, my Dawn sleeping in the chair beside me as a nurse checks my vitals. I cough, sitting up and ripping my I.V.s out. "Dawn! Dawn!" I call frantically, trying to wake her up so we could leave.

The startled nurse begins to try to force me down and calm me down. "Sir. Sir!" She exclaims, I reach for my Dawn as she startles awake and jumps towards me. Only Dawn knew how afraid I was of doctors and hospitals if I was the patient. So, I was confused when she helped push me down.

"Jay, I love you, but you need to rest." She whispers hoarsely, her eyes searching mine in fear. I furrow my eyebrows, not knowing why she was looking at me like that. Was she afraid of me? Of what I've done? Of who I am?

The stupid nurse inserts the I.V. back into my arm. "Dawn?" I whisper, relaxing as I look up at her. My angel. She sniffles, avoiding my eyes and turning her back on me.

"Three surgeries. You dumbass! Three goddamn surgeries! All of the doctors saying that you're going to die because of all the internal bleeding! All because you jumped in front of a bullet! For me! Again!" She rounded on me, tears rolling down her puffy, red cheeks.

"Dawn, I..." She cuts me off.

"No. I'm sorry, but you have to promise me that you'll do exactly as the doctors say. You... you scared me out there. When you jumped in front of me when I was willing to die! My parents died almost two years ago. My unborn child died a year and one week ago. I'm not willing to watch you die too." Her voice so filled with emotion, cracks from the weight of it.

"Come here." I whisper, opening my arms. She slides into the bed next to me, careful of my wound. I wrap my arms around her, holding her close.

"I love you. I'm so sorry I scared you. But I promised I would take care of you. That I would love, protect, and keep you from danger. So, if someone tries to shoot you, I will jump in front of every damn bullet." I murmur into her ear. She cries against me, one of her tiny fists weakly punching my chest.

"You idiot! I was scared I'd lose you." She whimpers, I close my eyes as I resolve over my quick decision. I press a light kiss against the top of her head, tightening my grip on her.

"I love you." I whisper, she giggles thickly through her tears.

"I love you too, you fucking idiot." She laughs weakly, leaning against me. I press another kiss, but this time against her temple. I had to keep her safe at all costs.

________________________________________________________________________________

How'd you like the chapter? I hope you love reading my book just as much as I love writing it. The next chapter will be uploaded in a minute! Enjoy the rest of your night, or day!

Xoxo

Adelaide