𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚

"He wasn't responding to the pain like how a human should respond" I replied to him signing the form at ease.

"So yeah, I'm taking him to MRI, because I care about my patient's health" I continue while finishing my signature with a dot.

My dad didn't say anything, he just squinted his eyes when I turned to him and passed my intern the form.

We both looked into each other's eyes as we're about to start bickering with each other, but we didn't. It's just how we communicate sometimes. Like my dad saying something in his head and he shows me some expressions, then I know exactly what kind of things he said. Dad and I have a pretty great bond, after I went to med school. Yeah, since they're way too busy working. We did fight a lot but, we also still have some part of our cool bond.

After a few minutes waiting for Drew's MRI scan results, Dr.Reyner brought back Drew to his bed at the ER and handed over the scan to me. I take it out from the big parcel and pull it to the lights. I check on his MRI scan, nothing shows up. Just a normal adult brain. I walk towards Drew's bed again and put back the scanner in the parcel.

"so, I didn't find anything but imma do some test on you" I give back the scanner to my intern and ask her to grab a bucket full of ice and add a little bit of water in it.

As she brought it to me Drew asked "is it serious?"

"not until we test it" i took the bug bowl from my intern and placed them on the tray for the bed. I take out the thermometer and shove it in the cold water to check the temperature.

32° okay, pretty cold.

I asked Drew to place his hand in the bowl when I started the minute count. This is to check if he'll respond to the stimulus. I also mentioned if his hand starts to feel the pain or cramp quickly take his hand out of the water. Not long after, the watch on my wrist shows 55 seconds.

"it is starting to get really hurt" Drew claims then slowly takes his hand out of the cold water.

"alright, so you're cool, nothing serious!" I exclaimed before the ER door was swung wide open into the ER by the paramedic and other doctor who's in trauma service today. They brought a man with a knife stabbed to his left chest. My eyes flicker when I scan the patient. surgery the word repetitively in my head. My face grows a grin from my ears to the other as I stare at the patient.

"You might wanna... take that," Drew said, bringing me back to reality. I turned my gaze to him,

"hell yeah" I said, giving him the yeah face. I quickly walk to the gowns room and wear them then get to work. Then I remember that I promised Dr.Malik that I'll scrub in with him.

"Dammit" I curse taking off the trauma gown from me and shoving them in the bin. I then ask my intern which OR they're in. I tell Drew that I'll be with Dr.Malik and he will discharge after the IV fluid is finished given to him.

a few hours later...
I scrubbed in with Dr.Malik, literally just standing there holding suction for him. After he finishes, he wants me to close the patient, so I did. I went to stiched the patient up and Dr.Malik took off his surgical gowns, mask and glove then one of my interns came into the OR with a mask covering her mouth.

"Dr.Carter" she called me.

"yeah?" I gave her permission to talk while focusing on the patient's brain making sure I made no mistake.

"Mr.Starkey ask me to tell you he's heading back home and said 'see you on Wednesday'"

When she mentioned Mr.Starkey i stopped moving the clamp in my hand to focus on what she was about to tell me might be serious. Oh he's heading home I said in my head then continued stitching. When she mentioned about 'see you on Wednesday' i smiled at the statement looking down at the patient brain not wanting people to see me smiling.

I bobbed my head to my intern then I could feel everyone staring at me. I bring my head up and see everyone around me has their attention on me. Dr.Malik also looked at me. He stood there slowly taking off his surgical gown looking at me. The movement of the instrument in my hand slowly stopped.

"Can we go back to work now?" I ask in a relaxed tone. Then everyone gets back to work. I exhale deeply, releasing all the anxious feelings. After finishing the stitches I looked up to the gallery and saw my mum standing up not sitting down with her hand crossed over her chest looking down at me.

"Great, just great Eva" i mutter looking away from her and getting off the surgical scrub from me.

Not a minute went by. I was in the surgical room where surgeons wash their hands before scrubbing in, my mum appears at the door when they swing open. "Here we go again" I whisper to myself knowing we're about to start another fight.

"You could have done wrong in there, what the hell is the matter with you!" she yelled to me "but i did nothing wrong did i?" I said in a calm voice trying to get out of the room.

"But you could have!" she barked. "Your father brought you work here because he wanted you to focus! so you could be a great surgeon..." she kept yelling at me more and more with her hand gestures to every word.

Fighting with my mom has been a daily basis for me since I stepped in my teenagers phase. Sometimes when we fight I just keep my mouth shut or I will probably fight back. When I was around five to nine, my mum was never really around. She would be in the hospital working all day and I only see her at night, when I said see, only see.

No talk, she said the same thing everyday that she's tired, and would only play with me if i remember five types of medicine every single day. Dad always tries to not let me and my mother fight. We never get along. She always feels like everyone around her is ordinary and she's the only one who's extraordinary. That's how arrogant she is.

I just stare at her in the eyes waiting for her to finish her anger on me. I look away for a few seconds then sigh. I blink my eyes then back to her. I can feel people staring at us from the OR. Not a single word came out of my mouth fighting her that night, it's 3am in the morning. I look at my intern waiting for me at the OR but she only looks down when I turn to her.

I knocked on the mirror knowing i should be doing the post-op right now but my mom seems to can't stop. She looked up to me when she heard the knock and I gave her a sign with hand signals I learned before. I used hand signals to my intern sometimes when my mum and I had a fight, since we probably fight every week.

She saw my signals and understood them immediately then walked out of the OR. When my mum finished her words, I looked up to her finally I talked in my head. "you're done?" I asked her. She looks at me knowing she's pissed at me with the carbon dioxide that came out of her nose is really mad. She didn't respond to me, not even nodded. "good, if you allow me i need to do my job" i said politely to her before walking past her and walking out of the room.

I know she's mad in there because I don't look mad or pissed enough like how she wanted me to.