2: I'll Make It Up To You

Aiden's pov:

I woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. My whole body ached and shivered.

I wasn't cold, but I was shaking terribly.

I reached for my nightstand, blindly looking for my pills. I swallowed one dryly and slowly made my way to the closet.

A crack of thunder boomed through the night. My mind immediately went to Ruby. For a moment I panicked, thinking she'd be scared or awakened by the sudden loud boom, but I realised instantly that Tatiana was sleeping in her room. It put my mind at ease.

I grabbed a change of clothes and took a warm shower.

I replaced my bedsheets with new, dry ones, but didn't sleep in the bed. I sat by the window and watched as the sky flashed bright every few seconds.

Water droplets started hitting the glass pane. The tip-tapping sound intensified with every passing moment until the smell of my shampoo was replaced with petrichor.

Suddenly, just like a still from a horror movie, the whole town was illuminated for a split second by lightning, and that was all I needed to notice the silhouette of a man.

In that fraction I thought it was him.

The mere idea of it being him made my anxiety pill reach back up my throat.

In that sickly moment, I remembered every terrible thing I had gone through. Every sweet mistake and every stupid decision I made.

A miserable thing it was to lose someone. Somehow, only the memories remain where everything else happens in a blur.

No goodbyes, no closure.
Like a wound destined to remain open.

He took my hand and promised me the world.

Our road was a dead end, leading us nowhere.

"It'll be alright," and "we'll be okay,"

He lied with his eyes open.

He'll fix every piece he broke.

But was my heart a part of everything?

Crying didn't heal my wounds anymore, and he was my bandaid.

But I was stripped bare.

Sitting alone next to my bed,

Fuck everything you did to me, Harken Red.

I walked to Ruby's room. She was sound asleep on her bed, while Tatiana was asleep on the other. Everything I had left was in this room. My seven year old daughter whom I had by being too foolish, and Tatiana, our housekeeper who takes care of her.

I wish I had more time to be there for my daughter. Being a nurse wasn't an easy task. It kept me occupied, and for the most part, sane.

I never felt so alone in my life, and I had myself to thank for it.

My dad had died since I was a child.

My mom remarried and moved away. Sad to say I didn't know were she lived, and sadder to say I didn't care.

My twin brother didn't talk to me anymore.

And while I was falling for the boy with grey eyes, he was falling for drugs and alcohol.

The worst part was that it wasn't his fault anyway.

They got him addicted to drugs. He drank to forget them. In the end, he was losing himself to the horrors of his past.

Letting go wasn't an easy task. I knew it very well.

I didn't realise how much his silhouette affected me. I let my mind briefly wonder if he was back in town.

Would he even want to see me?

I was the one who was mad, and I had every right to be. I was empty and damaged and bruised, but I wasn't the one who left.

The rain intensified. I went to the kitchen, my feet falling heavily. The light above the counter was bright, and for a moment it made me shudder. I hated lights and I hated thunder and I hated every cold night I had to spend after the godawful incident.

But what did it do to dwell on the past when I barely had a grasp of my present?

I made a cup of coffee and sat on the counter chair. Another bolt of lightning illuminated my windows, making me spill a little of my coffee. I wiped it off with a paper towel and drank the rest in rapid gulps.

It calmed me down enough to be back in bed. As I lay down, blinking the last bits of the night, I had a blaring thought.

I needed to move away.

A/N: voting and comments matter so much, so please give them if you think the story deserves so.

More soon x.