xxxiii

I wake up to an empty bed, patting the spot next to me with a sigh. Wilbur refused to sleep together with me, worried he'd move too fast again.

But I wanted him there; waking up next to him used to be so... serene. It was almost like waking up to heaven every day.

But no. Instead, he was sprawled along the couch, snores escaping with a flimsy blanket half-covering his legs.

To an outside eye, we looked like roommates, or someone housing a freeloader, maybe even a sister taking care of her lazy brother.

But Wilbur was mine. And it hurt to see him scared of expressing that. So, I'd have to take control into my own hands, and guide him through our relationship carefully.

This was the first step.

I walk out of the room and over to Wilbur slowly, seeing how hard he slept for someone who was always so internally paranoid.

My hand moves his shoulder a little as I try and wake him, but he just mumbles and turns away. I smile, thinking of how innocent he seemed in the moment.

I swear, I'd come for all the monsters who ever touched him, and the ones who twisted his stars into shadows... but I can't.

It doesn't come across my mind enough how this man is fake, a persona from a video game. But it doesn't feel like it.

When he holds me, it's warm; and when he's close, I can hear his heartbeat.

I continue to watch Wilbur with gentle eyes, until small sweat beads start to build up on his forehead, his hand going to throw the blanket off him while in deep sleep.

"Wil?"

He doesn't respond, body starting to thrash around as his mouth opens, void of noise. It worries me, but I play it off as a nightmare, seeing as it may stop soon.

But it doesn't.

It graduates further, Wil starting to let out screams, names slipping from his tongue. "Dream! Tommy!"

I grab his shoulders, shaking him harshly. "Wilbur! Wilbur wake up!"

He tries to break away from my hold but eventually shoots up, taking in deep breaths as his hand clamps at his shirt.

"Wilbur?"

He flinches at his name before looking to me, seeing that I was in fact not Dream or Tommy. And his harsh breathing starts to calm down a small bit, grabbing me up in a tight hug. "Thank God... you're here."

He mumbles in my shirt, sitting on the couch as I stand for the hug, his face ending up on my stomach as a result.

"What's wrong? That seemed pretty bad," I admit, hand combing through his messed up hair.

Wilbur holds me tighter, hands grasping at me. "I was there... and you were gone— and they had a book."

I sigh, seeing how he must be scared of losing me, resulting in some pretty severe nightmares. I let Wilbur stay there for a bit, watching as he slowly starts calming down more and more over time.

"You want me to make you some breakfast?" I question, wondering if something could make him forget about a bad dream.

"I wanna stay like this," He mumbles, not moving from me. I sigh, but an idea pops into my mind.

I let Wil keep hugging me, reaching back into my pocket to grab my phone out as I slowly scroll through it with one hand, using my other to keep toying with my boyfriends hair.

I click on a song, hearing as it starts to sound through the room.

We'll Meet Again

I grab Wilburs arms and pull him up off the couch, seeing his confused expression. "You're always singing so beautifully, but we've never had a chance to dance. Such a shame I'm the one who has to ask for it."

It's obvious to both of us that I'm helplessly trying to distract the man with something out of the box, but Wilbur smiles anyway, hands finding their way to my waist as the song sings out.

Keep smiling through

Just like you always do

With my arms wrapped around his neck, we sway, the instruments in the background of the song allowing me to shut my eyes and rest against Wilbur.

Tell them I won't be long

They'll be happy to know

"y/n."

"Hm? What is it?"

That as you saw me go

Wilbur backs up his head a little and I look up to see his eyes watering, and there's a blue light from below, making me turn down to see his feet peeling away from existence slowly.

I was singing this song

"I love you."

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

FORTY! REMEMBER ITS FORTY CHAPTERS EVERYONE CALM DOWN!