xvii

"Wilbur, it's not that I don't like you, I just—"

"Do you think this is easy for me, y/n? I'm scared too, you know. I don't want to be left behind by someone I care about, not again. And I have so many internal battles trying to keep sane so you don't kick me away and throw me to a curb just because I struggle; I still jump when I hear something like an explosion, and I refuse to hold sharp things like knives—" Wilbur cuts himself off, standing up to leave the right side of my body cold.

He starts walking toward the bathroom, but I allow a small intake of breath.

It's now or never, isn't it.

"Hey, Wilbur!" He looks back with defeat, very obviously trying to be done with the painful conversation he'd started. "I uh— I like you too."

His unfamiliar smile appears and he nods, ducking into the bathroom as I try and ease my beating heart, the rhythm so fast my breath was taken away, and he hadn't even said anything.

"Holy shit..."

☁︎︎

For the rest of the day me and Wilbur kind of just watch each other awkwardly, and it gets to the point that I snap, almost wanting to scream at how infuriating it was we were suddenly so awkward.

"We've been acting like a couple for weeks so says you! And now that we're... what are we?"

I question, looking to Wilbur as he scratches his head with a yawn while walking, tired after the week of work we'd had.

"Hm? Oh, I don't know. Labels aren't my thing," He smiles like a middle school boy, wrapping his arms around my shoulders from behind the couch to pull me close. "All I know is you're mine."

My body heats and I shy away, trying to shrivel up in my own skin. "Ah, so we're something, just not... labeled?"

Wilbur laughs, letting me go in order to walk off toward my room. "My first decree as your man is that I get half the bed. It's been almost a month since I've laid on a mattress and my back's killing me."

I just watch blankly as the man stalks towards my room, not stopping him. We could share a bed tonight... or I can just sleep on the couch.

But who wants to do that in their own home?

I look to the clock and see just how late it is, standing up with a yawn so I can walk to my room where Wilbur is already laying on the side he'd chosen.

Luckily, it wasn't the side I slept on.

He was faced away from the door, covers warming up his body. I'm quiet, scared he'd fallen asleep that quickly, as I slowly inch my way into bed, getting under the same covers.

I attempt to distance myself from the mans body as much as possible, accidentally hitting his leg, making me freeze.

I'm gonna assume that the man didn't stir, because he doesn't move, allowing me to lay against the opposite edge with the covers.

But just when I thought I was home free, an arm wraps around my waist, making me suck in a breath.

I knew Wilbur was bold, and didn't tend to try and hide how he felt or what he thought, but he's being a little too bold right now.

"Wilbur, I know I agreed to this relationship but you—" I stop when a small snore escapes, and my head turns a bit to see Wilburs relaxed face, eyes shut delicately.

I always enjoyed seeing his sleeping face. It was calmer than his usual expression, all the stress he carried seemingly gone.

I end up just turning back toward the wall, letting Wilburs hand stay around my waist.

"Goodnight, idiot."

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Fluff time fluff time time for some fluff.