xxiv

y/n steps inside her friends house and Lea ushers her to the couch almost immediately, practically pushing her down onto it.

"What happened?! I saw the news! What did Wilbur do?!"

I sigh, seeing how the entire town probably knew about the incident already, and the people that visit the coffee shop are gonna be scared to come back now.

There's no way Wilburs gonna be able to keep working... maybe we'll both lose our jobs for this one.

Just great.

"Yeah, we're not working out, obviously," I mutter, and Lea holds out a small glass of water. I take it, my tears starting to build back up from before I started the drive here. "I just... I just don't know what to do anymore! I tried keeping my distance then I tried closing the gap, and no matter what we both end up hurt. I just... I'll just cut it off officially; that'll make it easier for both of us, won't it?"

Lea looks at me with eyes wide in shock, taking time to register the words before slowly shaking her head.

"No, y/n, just no. We don't have to go that far yet, theres still a chance. You two want to be together, right? So why not try going slow? You know? Instead of rushing in so blindly like you both did."

Her words are gentle and assuring as she sits beside me, letting my head rest on her shoulder. "Yeah... maybe you're right."

Deep down I knew that this situation might not be redeemable, but for Lea, I'd say almost anything. She doesn't deserve to carry any blame for the situation I'd gotten myself into.

"Did you ask Wilbur why?" Lea suddenly questions.

I raise a brow, turning to look at her with curiosity picking at me. "Why? How do you mean?"

"Like, did you ask him why he got into a fight with someone; why he ended up literally killing a man?"

Thinking back on it, I realize that in all the panic and speed of the situation, I hadn't asked him much of anything. Did I even ask if he was okay? Like, genuinely, not while in a blind panic...

"I'm such a bad soulmate," I mumble, head dropping when I realize just how much of an absolute dick I'd been.

When Wilbur says I'm rude or mean, I tend not to pay any mind, because I always thought he was wrong and I was just a little distant.

But I'm a straight up asshole.

To him.

My soulmate.

Of all the people in the world, the man I'd dreamt of since I was a little girl is the one I chose to be rude to; chose to hurt.

"Don't say that y/n, you can fix this."

☁︎︎

Wilbur was sat on the couch in silence, head focused to a wall, his breathing steady. He hadn't moved since he read the small handwritten note and sat down to register the words.

Actually, he wouldn't move. At least, not until y/n walked back through the doors safely.

He could only assume she went to her friend Leas, but how would he know where she lived? All Wilbur knew is that Lea was the only person close to y/n, he'd never heard stories of parents or other distant family that would lead him to assume different.

So, he sat. And he stared. And he thought.

It was his fault, wasn't it? He'd been doing wrong by y/n, basically forcing her to move faster than she was comfortable with... pushing her to always do more.

"I have to fix this. I can fix this... right?"

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

SECOND UPDATE! Well... third technically. It's okay though, I'm snuggled in for the night and doing my own thing.