xxxi

"Wilbur, I told you we have to work this out; I need time for myself too," y/n mumbles, the man relaxed on her lap as she tried to read her phone with his long hands constantly getting in the way.

He doesn't say much at first, just kinda looks away towards the tv that had a random show playing, until his brown eyes glance up to see e/c ones.

"I already told you I'm afraid to lose you, what more do you want from me?" Wilbur had a desperate look in his eyes. Desperate for answers. Desperate for explanation.

y/n can't hold the eye contact, knowing she was weak to its subtle pleas. "I— I don't know. It just seems impossible you could get this attached over me leaving for a few hours..."

Wilbur lets a sigh slip, sitting up before turning to look back at the woman beside him. "I'm a monster."

"Wilbur no, you—"

"And I know you deserve much, much, better than me."

"Wilbur—"

"Stop y/n, let me finish. You deserve better than me, and I'm scared— no, I've always been scared... I'm terrified. Soulmates are supposed to be special, and yet I'm nothing but some sack of shit you flinch at whenever I raise a hand. And I'm sorry y/n, I just— I—"

y/n finally intervenes, bringing her hand up to hold the mans cheek, offering a soothing action as Wilbur begins to go too far into though. "You're terrified of nothing, Wil. It's just me, I can protect you from those thoughts."

"Can you?" He questioned, looking at the girl with red eyes as tears misted up. "For years the people supposed to be protecting me, hurt me; and in return, I hurt them. But I don't wanna hurt you, I can't hurt you. I feel like I'm lost, and you're just dragging me along on a ride of emotions."

y/n knows what she's doing. She knows she made the man believe they could be something more, something extraordinary. But it can't happen, not yet at least.

He's been okay with his anger since the breakup, and it's been nice for the both of them to get to know each other more.

It's been about a month, and they were like best friends, doing almost everything together. y/n knew that because they were soulmates, their bodies craved the other in an attraction they couldn't fight, but it wouldn't be the first time she's tried to get away from this all.

She wasn't scared of Wilbur. She was scared of his anger, and whatever consequences came with it.

And looking now, at a broken man who seemed so empty yet so endearing, she felt it. She felt the regret and the pain, the butterflies and the tingling.

Things she'd been ignoring and trying to avoid... were there. Had they always been there?

Or is it now, as she looks Wilbur in his tear coated eyes, that she realizes he was nothing but a wounded soldier, his body covered in invisible scars. Some that she now had to admit were of her own doing.

It's taboo to hurt your soulmate emotionally.

It's taboo to take off a marking.

But it's also common sense, not to hurt the one you love.

And y/n, in a small apartment on the fifth floor, with a man sitting broken in front of her and in need of fixing, knew she'd fallen in love.

How long ago had it been exactly? She can't decide, considering her denial had been strong.

But it didn't matter. Because she got there. She was a little more ready all of a sudden; more ready to be with the man who supposedly had half her heart.

"I'm here now."

☁︎︎

Vote?
Comment?
Follow?

Heyyy getting back to some bigger plot points now and as always i'm gonna go back and edit all of this once i'm done so don't worry if it's choppy :)